Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 7 of 14
« First < 567 89 > Last »
Good Eats>Sushi
LasciviousXXX 02:07 PM 12-08-2008
While I haven't had any sushi today, I was able to talk a co-worker into going out for Sushi tomorrow :-)

Can't wait!
[Reply]
Footbag 02:53 PM 12-08-2008
For me, it's the Tekka Don. Sashimi Tuna over a bed of white rice. MMmmmmm
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 11:25 AM 12-10-2008
Had sushi for lunch yesterday. Mixed moki and sushi moriwase along with some edamame. It was a great lunch.:-)
[Reply]
jquirit 11:59 AM 12-10-2008
I needed a sushi fix, but ended up getting conveyer belt sushi. LOL. It was okay, but at least it scratched that itch 'till I can get real sushi.

Have I mentioned how much I miss living in Los Angeles and having an awesome sushi restaraunt a block (aka stumbling) distance away? :-)
[Reply]
Wingfan13 10:07 AM 12-11-2008
LOVE sushi. It wasnt so damn expensive I would eat it three times a day.

My fiance and I make it all the time.

Here is the plate we made last week.
Attached: Sushi.jpg (72.0 KB) 
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 11:50 AM 12-11-2008
Originally Posted by Wingfan13:
LOVE sushi. It wasnt so damn expensive I would eat it three times a day.

My fiance and I make it all the time.

Here is the plate we made last week.
That's a very nice job, well done! I'm coming to your house for sushi!
[Reply]
BHowe 07:26 PM 12-14-2008
Man I'm getting into this thread a bit late.

It's hard to find great sushi in Oklahoma, however "good" sushi isn't out of the question. In fact my fiance and I have probably eaten sushi 2-3 times a week for the last 7 years we've spent together.

Nothing better then just your standard tuna roll! I'm not a big fan of all the fancy "new age" crap, but do eat some of it. We are mainly nigiri type people!

Good thread.
[Reply]
ucla695 08:29 AM 01-05-2009
The wife and I got our sushi fix last weekend in Little Tokyo. I’m salivating just thinking about it. It was well worth the 45 minute wait.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 09:17 AM 01-05-2009
Where the heck'd you go Mike?
[Reply]
jquirit 09:25 AM 01-05-2009
Originally Posted by ucla695:
The wife and I got our sushi fix last weekend in Little Tokyo. I’m salivating just thinking about it. It was well worth the 45 minute wait.
One of the best sushi I've ever had in Los Angeles was out at this restaurant in what I thought was nearby the Rampart District. Off the I-5, down a ways once you crest the hills by Universal Studios. Place didn't look like it (simple stucco sides, single entrance), but it was always packed when we would go there. Had three sushi bars in the building itself. They'd use *generous* cuts of fish to make their sushi, almost like getting a sushi and a piece of sashimi for the same price.

Might you remember that place?
[Reply]
mrreindeer 09:29 AM 01-05-2009
Originally Posted by jquirit:
Might you remember that place?
How long ago did you go? Universal Studios is off the 101....so if it might have been the 101 and not the 5 & over in Studio City (where Universal Studios is located), perhaps it was Katsuya? That place is tremendously popular (esp. with the celebs) and pretty good. It's in a very small stripmall, maybe 5 stores?
[Reply]
ucla695 09:54 AM 01-05-2009
Originally Posted by mrreindeer:
Where the heck'd you go Mike?
We went to Oomasa. The only time there hasn't been a line when I've been was in the afternoon. Luckily we got there around 6 or we would have waited longer.

How long ago did you go? Universal Studios is off the 101....so if it might have been the 101 and not the 5 & over in Studio City (where Universal Studios is located), perhaps it was Katsuya? That place is tremendously popular (esp. with the celebs) and pretty good. It's in a very small stripmall, maybe 5 stores?
I'll have to check out Katsuya.
[Reply]
jquirit 10:28 AM 01-05-2009
Nah, definitely off the I-5 as it was further south of Universal Studios. I'd probably say if you split the distance between the 101 and the 110 along the I-5, it'd be somewhere around there. It's probably been 7 years or so since I've been there so it's definitely within the realm of being gone (or moved).

Now I wish I definitely paid more attention to where my friend was driving when we went there.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 10:32 AM 01-05-2009
Originally Posted by ucla695:
We went to Oomasa. The only time there hasn't been a line when I've been was in the afternoon. Luckily we got there around 6 or we would have waited longer......I'll have to check out Katsuya.
Ooooof! Never heard of Oomasa; I'll have to add it to my list. Katsuya in Studio City, I think, is the original. There's also one now in Brentwood & Hollywood. I've been to the Studio City one once and the Hollywood one once. Hollywood was definitely a bit of a scene and the attached S Bar is pretty cool. I think the SC one was probably better (but) less trendy.

Folks really really love Katsuya though; it might be a bit too hyped but you should check it out once.

jquirit...I wish I could help...I don't know that area well at all!
[Reply]
ucla695 11:04 AM 01-05-2009
Ooooof! Never heard of Oomasa; I'll have to add it to my list. Katsuya in Studio City, I think, is the original. There's also one now in Brentwood & Hollywood. I've been to the Studio City one once and the Hollywood one once. Hollywood was definitely a bit of a scene and the attached S Bar is pretty cool. I think the SC one was probably better (but) less trendy.

Folks really really love Katsuya though; it might be a bit too hyped but you should check it out once.

jquirit...I wish I could help...I don't know that area well at all!
Sounds worth checking out. Thanks.

One thing to keep in mind about Oomasa is that there’s not much of a scene there. The décor is dated….red, vinyl seats, but the food makes it worth checking out. Funny thing is that I saw an online dating commercial on TV the other day that was filmed there (can’t remember the name of the site).
[Reply]
rizzle 02:18 PM 01-06-2009
Damn. You guys have me craving it bad. I've been staying away because my wife was pregnant and now that she's breastfeeding the doctor is telling her to stay away still. So it's been about a year for me and I'm dying. But I'm such a good husband that I would never go eat it without her. Nah, wouldn't do that would I.:-)
[Reply]
glassjapan 02:58 PM 01-29-2009
Split a big bowl of soba and then loaded up on some nigiri. Otoro, unagi, and a bunch of red, black and orange flying fish roe. A good lunch day today!
[Reply]
DocLogic77 03:10 PM 01-29-2009
My first experience with sushi was some really bad sea urchin. My "friends" felt that it would be amusing to see me choke some of that down. It took me years to try it again. But recently a decent lil sushi bar here in Lexington served me some "baby" sushi...i guess you call em philly rolls...i really enjoyed that. So, I think I'll try something a little more adventurous next time around. :-)
[Reply]
bvilchez 10:34 AM 01-30-2009
I never even knew this thread existed!!!!!! I just read the entire thing cuz sushi is my favorite....nothing compares.

Now I can't wait to go back home and eat some. There's this one place my family and I go every Friday like clockwork. It's called Kotobuki in Orange County by El Toro. The place only opens Thur-Sat 5-10 PM. And let me tell you it gets packed in there. We don't even order. We just sit down and Hiro just does what he does best and serves us.
[Reply]
rizzle 10:40 AM 01-30-2009
The owner of my favorite sushi joint died this week. 44 years old with two young children and a wife left behind.

R.I.P. Hook. You'll be missed brother.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 14
« First < 567 89 > Last »
Up