Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Wineador going out?
Lockspur 08:34 AM 09-24-2013
KoldFront 28-bottle model.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, it was holding steady...on it's warmest setting...at 65F. Lately it's been around 70F. So I tried dialing it a little cooler. It's now around 65F, but it's running constantly. So much so that it's condensing onto my carpet. Even though the hole is plugged. It's coming out at the bottom of the shell.

With that said, when the temp was around 70, the RH stayed around 60. Before the temp change, it was rock-solid at 66RH. Even with the temp dialed cooler, it's still around 60RH...which to me would indicate it's running all the time.

I unplugged it and let it sit for a couple of days. RH is back to 65-66. So I don't believe it's the media, as I've been diligent on monitoring it.

Thoughts?
[Reply]
czerbe 08:45 AM 09-24-2013
Looking into buying my first cool so I will follow this... best of luck. :-)
[Reply]
dgold21 12:55 PM 09-24-2013
Did you make sure the internal circulating fan is spinning?
[Reply]
Lockspur 05:01 PM 09-24-2013
Originally Posted by dgold21:
Did you make sure the internal circulating fan is spinning?
Fan is spinning.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 10:33 AM 09-25-2013
I don't know your specific fridge, so I'll only comment generally. If you are collecting a large volume of condensate, then, there must be a sizable source of moist air to supply the water vapor. In other words, a leak. It could be leaking into your humidor space or into the shell around it.

The leak and the extra condensate will require the cooling system to work harder, so that may be why it's having trouble holding temperature.
[Reply]
shilala 10:53 AM 09-25-2013
Check your door seal and adjust the door if the unit allows it. These units need to sit on a good, solid surface. They're cheap and they'll rack in time. (Come out of square from side to side or back corners to fronts corners.)
Sometimes the gasket slips and doesn't seal anything. Readjust it and use some auto tape to hold it in place if necessary.

What I can tell you is that your winador is fine, mechanically, as far as the cooling cycle goes. If it's working so hard that condensate is flowing out the door bottom, that's your tell.
Now here's something SUPER WACKY that just occurred to me...
If the water is running out on the floor through the door seal, I'll bet you dollars to dogsh1t that is where your seal has cracked. A good seal seals. Not just air, but it should easily hold back any amount of condensate the unit can produce.
You can try silicone grease on the face of the seal, too. That might be enough to make it seal real well for ya. My guess is a crack or a slip, so check it super careful.
Good luck, my man!!! :-)
[Reply]
Lockspur 12:13 PM 09-25-2013
Originally Posted by shilala:
Check your door seal and adjust the door if the unit allows it. These units need to sit on a good, solid surface. They're cheap and they'll rack in time. (Come out of square from side to side or back corners to fronts corners.)
Sometimes the gasket slips and doesn't seal anything. Readjust it and use some auto tape to hold it in place if necessary.

What I can tell you is that your winador is fine, mechanically, as far as the cooling cycle goes. If it's working so hard that condensate is flowing out the door bottom, that's your tell.
Now here's something SUPER WACKY that just occurred to me...
If the water is running out on the floor through the door seal, I'll bet you dollars to dogsh1t that is where your seal has cracked. A good seal seals. Not just air, but it should easily hold back any amount of condensate the unit can produce.
You can try silicone grease on the face of the seal, too. That might be enough to make it seal real well for ya. My guess is a crack or a slip, so check it super careful.
Good luck, my man!!! :-)
From one Scott to another, thanks for the wisdom. It's "dripping" from the rear of the unit. Follow the drain hole straight down to the little "shelf" just before the floor...it's collecting there.

It's sitting on carpet right now, I will try moving it into the kitchen (tile) and see if it helps.
[Reply]
shilala 12:51 PM 09-25-2013
A picture's worth a thousand words, brother.
Sounds like the collection tray inside the unit is leaking. Probably around the drain hole. You might dry that and seal it up.
That's part two of your problem, though. You have a wicked leak. You gotta find that and get it fixed up.
[Reply]
Lockspur 01:35 PM 09-25-2013
Originally Posted by shilala:
A picture's worth a thousand words, brother.
Sounds like the collection tray inside the unit is leaking. Probably around the drain hole. You might dry that and seal it up.
That's part two of your problem, though. You have a wicked leak. You gotta find that and get it fixed up.
Will snap one when I get home. :-)
[Reply]
Lockspur 04:49 PM 09-25-2013
Cancel the red alert. Turns out my seal for the drainage hole came unsealed, but not visually.

Off to find odorless sealer tomorrow. Thanks for the advice, Scott. :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 05:44 PM 09-25-2013
An unsealed hole will get you in trouble every time. :-)
[Reply]
big_jaygee 08:07 PM 09-25-2013
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
An unsealed hole will get you in trouble every time. :-)
:-) :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:32 PM 09-25-2013
Glad you found the problem Scotty! It's really cool how FOGs :-) like Scott Shilala are so helpful with these kinds of problems.
[Reply]
MUNKY 11:27 AM 09-26-2013
Nice!
[Reply]
Lockspur 09:01 PM 09-26-2013
Testing solution #1:

Untitled by lockspur74, on Flickr

MINI CORKS!
[Reply]
Up