Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Losing Humidity
Jon11 01:59 PM 09-01-2013
Don't know why I am suddenly losing humidity in my desktop. The reading on my hygrometer was fine, until the battery went dead and I replaced it. It reads 60% now. I calibrated it for 24 hrs with the salt and water treatment in tupperware and it read 74%. I then put it in my humi and it drops to 60%. I have Shilala beads set at 65%. Anytime in the past that my humi would dip below 62% I would just put a small cup with a sponge and distilled water in for 24 hours and the humidity reading would go back up. I've done this and now the humidity does not increase. If I do have a leak and the seal is not air tight what is the best way to fix it? By the way there is no glass top its solid wood. Help, any suggestions?
[Reply]
TJarv 02:19 PM 09-01-2013
You might just need to re season the humi again. Let it season for a few days, and in the meantime just keep your cigars in Tupperware.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:32 PM 09-01-2013
I'd give the humi the flashlight test before reseasoning, it only takes a minute. If you see light coming out, you will need to use some type of weatherstripping to improve the seal.
[Reply]
Jon11 02:48 PM 09-01-2013
Just did the flashlight test Tom....can't see any light. Should I re-season? And why can't I re-season with the cigars and beads in the humidor?
[Reply]
TJarv 02:58 PM 09-01-2013
The RH will be much higher during the seasoning process if you use just a bowl of distilled water.
[Reply]
Lockspur 05:12 PM 09-01-2013
Just stuff the sticks in large ziplock bags with bovedas while you re-season. They'll be fine.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:08 AM 09-02-2013
Seasoning the humidor is a good thing. The wood will swell a bit and make all the seals tighter. I would give it more than a few days though. I would recommend a full (re)seasoning -- a week or two until you are sure it is fully seasoned.

As Scotty has said, put your cigars in Ziploc bags -- they will be fine.
[Reply]
Up