Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Hermetic Glass Storage Jars Mini Humidore
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 07:02 PM 05-10-2013
Has anyone tried to take a Hermetic Glass Storage Jar and put a humidification device in it? Be it beads, or really anything to add some humidity. I was just thinking this could be a good solution for camping trips, or other short term storage purposes.

I know a herfidore is probably a good idea :-) -but I am just satisfying my inner MacGyver.
[Reply]
mkarnold1 08:04 PM 05-10-2013
I know most of my camping trips involve alcohol. I would be worried about breaking the glass. My herf-a-dor has proved its ability to withstand punishment from camping. I think a glass jar would be better suited as a display on a shelf or on top of a bar.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 08:06 PM 05-10-2013
Like this plastic one? http://bit.ly/15xrXF3

or, do you mean a rectangular one?
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 09:49 PM 05-10-2013
I was thinking glass but you have a good point about the possibility of breaking. Based on the fact that CI sells one I guess it is at least a reasonable storage option for short term purposes.
[Reply]
mjdx88 06:37 PM 05-12-2013
My infused humi is one of these....it works great. Since I dont open it often it has been holding 70% for a while now with out a source...
[Reply]
Robulous78 08:53 PM 05-12-2013
I went to wallmart and got some sort of acrylic plastic jar with clamp down lid and O-ring... it was in the kitchen storage section.... they work fine and the acrylic is labeled "unbreakable" although I haven't put it to the test...

I used it with Boveda packs for a solid 9 months with no issues.... hope this helps...
[Reply]
bonjing 10:44 AM 05-13-2013
Originally Posted by Robulous78:
I went to wallmart and got some sort of acrylic plastic jar with clamp down lid and O-ring... it was in the kitchen storage section.... they work fine and the acrylic is labeled "unbreakable" although I haven't put it to the test...

I used it with Boveda packs for a solid 9 months with no issues.... hope this helps...
I just picked up one of the ones you mentioned. I think they were under $10. Not very big big though, only about 5' wide 7" tall, but only about 6" usable space on the inside.
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 01:17 PM 05-18-2013
Got one all set up and I think this will work out great for what I need. I found a random block of spanish cedar and put that in there just to make it smell nice. I put my hydro in there, and the little humi-care pillow keeps it right around 65% too.

[Reply]
dwoodward 01:42 PM 05-18-2013
Looks good, but since your a macgyver type of guy... Maybe you could somehow rig up some wire mess to the lid with aquarium silicone to put your pillow and cedar block in, that way all your cigars will sit nice and flat on the bottom with no risk of broken caps or foots from uneven settling.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 02:16 PM 05-18-2013
A lot of people will use a food safe silicone and stick a analog hygro to the top of the jar, mainly because it looks impressive, but suppose it does provide function as well.

I'm by no means an expert but in a jar such as that, not sure if you need any kind of humi-pak in it if you keep it sealed and your sticks are already at your preferred RH, sort of like putting cigars in a ziplock baggy, as long as you aren't opening it all the time it should be fine.

That being said if you have enough height in the jar you could create some small cedar platform on the bottom, with a tiny bit of space under it and put a humi-pak under that (maybe drill a few small holes in the base), you would then have a level even base for your sicks to rest on and the humi-pak wouldn't be 'in the way', again that would look cool and be pretty badass as well.
[Reply]
CamoFlogged 02:21 PM 05-18-2013
Yep, or gut one of those cheap round humidifiers, slap your humi pillow in there or better yet, beads. Find a thin piece of spanish cedar that many cigar boxes are shipped with and cut it in a circle the same size as the bottom of the jar and place that at the bottom. Many B&M's have them laying around they will give you. Silicon the humidifier to the top. Nice and pretty.
[Reply]
Subvet642 02:55 PM 05-18-2013
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
A lot of people will use a food safe silicone and stick a analog hygro to the top of the jar, mainly because it looks impressive, but suppose it does provide function as well.

I'm by no means an expert but in a jar such as that, not sure if you need any kind of humi-pak in it if you keep it sealed and your sticks are already at your preferred RH, sort of like putting cigars in a ziplock baggy, as long as you aren't opening it all the time it should be fine.

That being said if you have enough height in the jar you could create some small cedar platform on the bottom, with a tiny bit of space under it and put a humi-pak under that (maybe drill a few small holes in the base), you would then have a level even base for your sicks to rest on and the humi-pak wouldn't be 'in the way', again that would look cool and be pretty badass as well.
Yup!:-)
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 04:48 PM 05-18-2013
thanks for all the tips and ideas. Additional modifications under way... :-)
[Reply]
Up