Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Broken EdgeStar cooler
Lockspur 10:35 PM 03-27-2013
All this talk of wineadors got me looking in to doing my own.

I found one on Craigslist for $100, but it's broken. It's a BWC120SSLT - EdgeStar 103 Can and 5 Bottle Ultra Low Temperature Beverage Cooler - Stainless Steel.

Here's his statement: "I purchased a Beverage cooler 13 months ago and I believe it has a short in it. From what I can tell, it needs a new relay/overload and costs at $30 from the manufaturere (Edgestar) but It may need a new compressor. I am not mechanical at all and just figured I should sell it and get a brand new one instead. Sometimes it turns on, and sometimes it doesnt, it makes a clicking sound every few minutes from the back of the machine (Maybe you will know what this means?)"

Sound like a decent deal? I know I'll never use the "cooler" part of it, and am looking for a fancy glass-doored Igloo. He says it looks brand new.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:43 PM 03-27-2013
If the room where you will keep the wine cooler maintains a reasonable temperature then you should not need to run the compressor. Many people use wine coolers as humidors and never plug them in.

Having said that, $100 seems a little high for a broken one. Just my :-)
[Reply]
big_jaygee 04:28 AM 03-28-2013
for another $100 you can get a working one that IS BRAND NEW. i had to go the wineador route because my room and humidor would get too hot in the summer so i needed something to keep it cool.

this is the one i have and if you keep a look out you can get it for $199 on sale but the company is Austin so you will have to pay sales tax and it comes with free shipping.

http://www.compactappliance.com/Kold..._Refrigerators
[Reply]
Subvet642 05:46 AM 03-28-2013
If it's the kind of cooler that uses a compressor, it may not be suitable as a humidor because it may not be airtight.
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:58 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
If it's the kind of cooler that uses a compressor, it may not be suitable as a humidor because it may not be airtight.
I do not think that this is a true statement. The actual storage box in a wine cooler is the same construction whether the unit uses a compressor or thermo-electric unit for cooling.

To ensure that the cooler is airtight (in either case) you just need to seal up the drain plug with some putty or duct tape.
[Reply]
Lockspur 08:29 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by big_jaygee:
...some knowledge...
I'm debating going the wineador route for all of my loose cigars. I buy a lot of samplers and 5-10 packs. The desktop will be for my "premium smokes" Image, the big Igloo™ is for boxes, small Igloo™ for overflow from big. Small desktop for 60% beads. Plus I need a side table in the living room, and I can't afford an Aristocrat. It was either that, or extend and enclose my patio. Guess which won? :-)

(sigh) I dunno. I still have that large desktop coming at the beginning of May. I'll wait for it to show up before I pull the trigger on anything.

Thanks for the link tho. That looks like a winner. And 219 is still a good price.
[Reply]
big_jaygee 08:53 AM 03-28-2013
I bought mine when it went down to $199 so keep checking it every couple of days and the price will drop.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:05 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by Lockspur:
I'm debating going the wineador route for all of my loose cigars. I buy a lot of samplers and 5-10 packs. The desktop will be for my "premium smokes" Image, the big Igloo™ is for boxes, small Igloo™ for overflow from big. Small desktop for 60% beads. Plus I need a side table in the living room, and I can't afford an Aristocrat. It was either that, or extend and enclose my patio. Guess which won? :-)

(sigh) I dunno. I still have that large desktop coming at the beginning of May. I'll wait for it to show up before I pull the trigger on anything.

Thanks for the link tho. That looks like a winner. And 219 is still a good price.
Scotty, you definintely need a Wine Cooler. You absolutely do not have enough storage for your cigars! :-)
[Reply]
Lockspur 10:10 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Scotty, you definintely need a Wine Cooler. You absolutely do not have enough storage for your cigars! :-)
Said the dealer to his drug addict. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:19 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:

Just remember though, it'll only be for storing second rate tobacco.
[Reply]
Lockspur 01:03 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
Just remember though, it'll only be for storing second rate tobacco.
AND third rate. :-)
[Reply]
Up