Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidification Idea (Test)
WaxingMoon 07:29 AM 03-26-2013
We were down in the shop working and cleaning up... and I was looking at some lengths of spanish cedar that I had laying around....

At the time, I was cutting up a bunch of exotic wood "scraps" in to 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" pieces to be used as pen blanks.... for those who like to make pens on a lathe.... and, I got to thinking....

I cut up a few pieces of spanish cedar (3) - in to the same dims.... and drilled three 3/8" holes in them to provide more surface area....

Took them home and put them in a bowl... filled it with water and weighted them down with a smaller bowl.... and left 'em overnight.

I took them out, patted them "dry".... noticing that they weighed about 3 or 4 times more than they did dry.... Patting them dry works well... they don't drip or anything and even appear to be... dry. But, they are indeed, saturated.

Well.... I put three of them in my 150 count humidor a week ago. Checked it for the first time this morning and she's holding at a perfect 69%. I put two on the bottom level, one on each side, and one on the top... shown in the picture.....

I think these little babies will do the trick! Lovin' it!

[Reply]
CigarSquid 07:37 AM 03-26-2013
Curious on how long they last before re-dipping.

Good test since you have extras.
[Reply]
czerbe 07:46 AM 03-26-2013
with that much water do you worry about Mold or wet spots... yes I said wet spots!
[Reply]
bobarian 10:32 AM 03-26-2013
Adding moisture is not the problem. Regulating it to the proper Rh is critical. :-)
[Reply]
WaxingMoon 02:08 PM 03-26-2013
I reckon we'll see.... it's been a week and so far, so good.... Blocks are dry to the touch, yet quite a bit heavier than a "new" one... indicating a good bit of moisture contained within.

No signs of mold or any other negative effects... not even a wet spot....

I'm liking it!
[Reply]
pektel 02:39 PM 03-26-2013
Would be cool if there was a price-appropriate tool that would read the humidity every hour, and store the results for you to view the rh over a certain period of days/weeks/months.
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:50 PM 03-26-2013
Ed...what's the sexy dark looking stick on the far right? :-) :-)
[Reply]
Sadden 10:22 PM 03-26-2013
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
You whore... Anything that will hold still long enough.....

:-)
[Reply]
WaxingMoon 07:16 AM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
It's a cigar.com house brazilian blend.... not a bad go to smoke.
[Reply]
Up