Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Armoire retrofit humidor project
363 07:08 AM 09-26-2012
that thing is coming along great, cannot wait to see it finished.
[Reply]
5newmans 10:42 AM 09-26-2012
:Your project looks great, nice job! :-)
[Reply]
Dave128 11:36 AM 09-26-2012
Looks like it's coming along nicely. That's gonna be a beautiful piece!
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 12:44 PM 09-26-2012
Very nice... :-)
[Reply]
SpruceBruce 12:58 PM 09-26-2012
Very cool!

How are the slides on the shelves secured? With the downward angle, I'm assuming there's some sort of latch or magnetic action going on.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 01:35 PM 09-26-2012
The slides are actually level. Here is a pic of one of the shelf side frames.

[Reply]
CRIMPS 01:38 PM 09-26-2012
I am probably going to reface the shelves down the road. I think I may try to reuse some of the oak from some of the shelves I took out of the cabinet. But, that will come later.

I am actually under a lot of pressure to get this humidor up and running as soon as possible. I am completely out of room. :-)
[Reply]
SpruceBruce 02:23 PM 09-26-2012
Aha! Very nice.
[Reply]
Mattso3000 03:38 PM 09-26-2012
Looks sweet, brother!
[Reply]
hscmit 08:28 PM 09-26-2012
awesome project

makes me want to try to make one too
[Reply]
bighairlogo 09:19 PM 09-26-2012
wow very nice :-)
[Reply]
mfarre03 10:42 PM 09-26-2012
Dayuummm, great looking project, love me a nice piece of furniture. What are you going to use to seal up the doors? Can't wait to see this sucker done, one hell of a cabinet!
[Reply]
CRIMPS 08:40 AM 09-27-2012
Thank you for all of the positive comments.

Mike, regarding the sealing of the doors... The idea is to accomplish this with just the lining of the spanish cedar on the doors "pinching" or closing within the cabinet. The door already closes against the cabinet. However, I am expecting I may have to move the door away from the cabinet frame about a 16th of an inch.

My plan is to line the doors with the exception of the piece that will actually make contact with the cabinet frame. The reason for this is because I expect the cabinet and the doors to move some once I start the up the set and forget humidification system. I will probably let it run for awhile, adjust, let it run a little longer, adjust if need be, then install the final trim/liner pieces on the door.
[Reply]
14holestogie 09:07 AM 09-27-2012
Looks great so far, Zach. :-)

Someday, I hope to find a suitable cabinet to retro-fit.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 09:23 AM 10-01-2012
Now that I have the shelves installed and most of the lining done, I thought it would be good to start laying out the lights and other wiring.

I bought an LED light kit and a pressure switch so that the lights would turn on when I opened the doors.

I also needed to run the wiring for the humidification canisters as well as install the actual Set and Forget unit.

As you can see, there is a bit of a mess of wires. I had a bit of a plan to hide all of the wiring with trim pieces in the corners. You can actually see a few of them in the corners. You can also see the LED light sticks taped up or just held up with the wiring.

Here, you can see I have spliced in the pressure switch.

More to come, soon...
[Reply]
CRIMPS 09:27 AM 10-01-2012
The piece of trim with two LED light sticks on it in the second to last pic above will actually be installed at the top of the humidor head plate. So, the LEDs should be pointing slightly down and into the cabinet. I am positioning the LEDs to light up the cabinet, but not shine in my eyes.

I have two more LED light sticks for the bottom compartment as well. This will come later.
[Reply]
ksknnr 08:58 AM 01-07-2013
I was just looking around the site, curious if you have any updates on this project. Looks great so far.
[Reply]
Big Bert 12:19 PM 01-07-2013
Yeah Zach I think its time to show us the spoils... :-)
[Reply]
Medwards2020 07:19 AM 05-11-2013
Couldn't see any of the photos, says they were removed?
I am considering the same thing, either building from scratch or retrofitting an existing cabinet.
Also, one big question I have is if I have a double door on the front, instead of a single, how do I detail it for a tight fit to maintain interior humidity?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up