Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>crustless pumpkin pie
markem 02:40 PM 11-04-2008
I can't eat wheat, rye or barley as I have celiac spru disease. But that doesn't mean I don't like pumpkin pie!

Normally, I just put pie filling in a baking dish without the crust, but thought I would see if anyone had a wheat-less pumpkin pie recipe that they'd like to share.

AdvaTHANKSnce
[Reply]
Demented 05:51 PM 11-04-2008
Basically any pumpkin pie recipe is a recipe for pumpkin custard baked in a pastry shell.

Omit the shell and your there!
[Reply]
Gophernut 09:38 AM 11-05-2008
I haven't tried yet, but I know there are a number of different types of flour that may work. Soy, or tapioca flour come to mind. Might be an option.
[Reply]
Ken 02:58 PM 11-05-2008
I have no idea how to make this work, though quinoa is a grain that is not an allergen and is quite healthy. Could you image a healthy pumkin pie. I could eat 2, maybe 4.:-)
[Reply]
markem 03:02 PM 11-05-2008
Originally Posted by Ken:
I have no idea how to make this work, though quinoa is a grain that is not an allergen and is quite healthy. Could you image a healthy pumkin pie. I could eat 2, maybe 4.:-)
That's true, quinoa is gluten free. As are rice flour and any of a variety of bean flours, etc.

but, I'd like to do a crustless pumpkin pie. The ramekin in a water bath method is the one I know and I tend to then use the recipe on the Libby's pumpkin pie filling can. Anyone know of a better recipe?
[Reply]
GKitty 03:19 PM 11-05-2008
I've embarked upon a quest and the site I usually use for recipes had this to offer:

Ingredients:

1 can pumpkin (15 oz)
1 can evaporated skim milk (12 oz)
3/4 cup egg substitute (or 3 egg whites)
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 C. Splenda (or sugar) or to taste

Instructions:
Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth.
Pour into a 9" sprayed pie pan.

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, and then at 325 for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Serves 8

~~~~~~~~~~~

I saw it repeated in many places, but have never tried it myself... yet. I think I may whip one up for Thanksgiving or sooner.
[Reply]
mugwump 04:29 PM 11-05-2008
If you're skipping the crust why not make a pumpkin souffle? I found what looks to be a good recipe (http://www.sugarlaws.com/pumpkin-souffle/) and I must say that I'm going to give it a try this weekend.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 04:36 PM 11-05-2008
this might work for you.

Sounds good to me, anyway.
http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/dess...ncrembrule.htm
[Reply]
Ken 06:08 AM 11-06-2008
Originally Posted by vstrommark:
but, I'd like to do a crustless pumpkin pie.
Sometimes the crust just gets in the way.:-)

Originally Posted by :
3/4 cup egg substitute (or 3 egg whites)
Do you know if it works fine with the yolks add?
[Reply]
Mark C 10:13 AM 11-06-2008
Did anybody else read the title too quickly and think it said 'crotchless' pumpkin pie? Just another sign I should probably take the rest of the day off.

I never thought of making a pie without crust. My wife usually leaves the crust behind anyway, this is something to consider. Just don't forget the whipped cream!
[Reply]
GKitty 03:42 PM 11-06-2008
Originally Posted by Ken:
Do you know if it works fine with the yolks add?
Most recipes that call specifically for whites do so because of the chemical makeup of the whites. Without the heavy stuff in the yolk, the whites can give rise to foods. It's why they're used in chiffon cakes and souffles.

So I would think no, but one of my favorite things about cooking is experimentation. :-)
[Reply]
Up