Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Shilala's Perfect Frigidaire Wine Fridge How To
stearns 03:02 PM 03-27-2015
Greg, for shelves, way back when I got my vino I measured that the size was and went to home depot had them cut me some temp shelves out of whatever type of wood Scott told me to use at the time. If you think it's going to be another may weeks before you see them that's always an alternative for the short term. It is super cheap. won't be able to hold singles, but great for boxes. I drilled a couple big holes in them for air flow and still use a few for underneath my singles drawers for putting stuff in 5-inger bags
[Reply]
G G 09:00 AM 03-28-2015
Originally Posted by shilala:
Yeah, I know you don't care, Bensy. It'll be a beautiful day when I get done. :-)
Greg, I'd suggest you make shelves out of duct tape just to hold you over. :-)
Originally Posted by stearns:
Greg, for shelves, way back when I got my vino I measured that the size was and went to home depot had them cut me some temp shelves out of whatever type of wood Scott told me to use at the time. If you think it's going to be another may weeks before you see them that's always an alternative for the short term. It is super cheap. won't be able to hold singles, but great for boxes. I drilled a couple big holes in them for air flow and still use a few for underneath my singles drawers for putting stuff in 5-inger bags
It seems that Ben's idea is more practical. :-)

I hope to have them back soon, should see him tomorrow at church and at least know when I will get them back.

I received the beads from Shilala and as usual he went beyond. Two pounds of the beads and an Cigar Asylum coin. Awesome and thanks to Scott.:-)

Scott labeled the beads and said they were 70ish% and I think I'm going to take them down to 62%. Anyone have a preference for the best way? Oven or refrigerator?
[Reply]
shilala 09:37 AM 03-28-2015
You throw a beatdown on that guy in the church parking lot, he's gonna get the message, Greg.
Don't ever say oven again. :-)
[Reply]
G G 09:58 AM 03-28-2015
You throw a beatdown on that guy in the church parking lot, he's gonna get the message, Greg.
Don't ever say oven again. :-)
I will whoop him good. No heating beads in a kitchen appliance, i swear. :-)
[Reply]
G G 10:00 AM 03-28-2015
Also on Scotts advice i am going to leave the beads where they are until i get everything in the fridge and stabilize. He pointed out that the little extra oomph will help season the drawers and shelf and boxes and od course ceegars.
[Reply]
G G 09:22 AM 03-30-2015
Okay, I got one of the drawers back from the guy. He only done one and wanted me to try it before he does the other three in case he has to make adjustments. It fit just fine so hopefully I will have the other three back in 6 weeks since it took two for him to do one. LOL He is working cheap so I really can't complain. I have the one drawer full of cigars with 3.5 pounds of beads and the humidity is hanging right around 66 to 68%. I have quite a bit of mass with a three boxes, a big Tupperware full of cigars, and the drawer full of cigars and still can't get the temp above 44 degrees. Still going to wait until I get the other three drawers in it with the shelf and see what happens then. Might have to go with a temp controller.
[Reply]
shilala 09:28 AM 03-30-2015
Didn't that thing say it'd go up to 66?
You might want to try the coldest setting. Maybe it's just ass-backwards?
Reason I'm asking is because it might pay to just go swap it out, the temp control may be wonky.
Now that you've put the fans in once, it'll probably only take 10 minutes to do it the second time.
Or we can go with the temp control. Hopefully we can find a schematic to tell you what wires to grab.
[Reply]
G G 09:34 AM 03-30-2015
I would have to take the fans out to change the temp control?

I did think about it being backwards and have tried it several different ways. Turned it to the coldest setting yesterday and it went down to 35 degrees. Which according to the documentation it aint supposed to go that low. It's at 49 right now with it turned to the highest setting which is warmer than it has went before.
[Reply]
shilala 09:46 AM 03-30-2015
Originally Posted by G G:
I would have to take the fans out to change the temp control?

I did think about it being backwards and have tried it several different ways. Turned it to the coldest setting yesterday and it went down to 35 degrees. Which according to the documentation it aint supposed to go that low. It's at 49 right now with it turned to the highest setting which is warmer than it has went before.
No, you'd have to take the fans out if you returned the unit and got another one.
But I was just thinking. Have you checked it with more than one thermometer, and what kind are you using?
[Reply]
G G 09:49 AM 03-30-2015
No, you'd have to take the fans out if you returned the unit and got another one.
But I was just thinking. Have you checked it with more than one thermometer, and what kind are you using?
No return. Didn't buy it new. Bought it from a dude on craigslist. He bought a house in Fernandina Beach, and I'm sure it costed him a ton. The wine fridge was in the deal and when it didn't work he made them buy a brand new one. He don't drink wine and wanted to use it for drinks and beer. He said it didn't get his drinks cold enough so he bought a beverage fridge and sold this one. It's about a year old and he never really used it and I paid him $100.
[Reply]
shilala 09:57 AM 03-30-2015
Originally Posted by G G:
No return. Didn't buy it new. Bought it from a dude on craigslist. He bought a house in Fernandina Beach, and I'm sure it costed him a ton. The wine fridge was in the deal and when it didn't work he made them buy a brand new one. He don't drink wine and wanted to use it for drinks and beer. He said it didn't get his drinks cold enough so he bought a beverage fridge and sold this one. It's about a year old and he never really used it and I paid him $100.
Yup, I forgot that stuff. My brain death is acting up. :-)
Back on point...
Have you checked it with more than one thermometer, and what kind are you using?

Ya know, I retrofitted one of these and turned it into a drinks fridge and it gets so cold I have to watch it doesn't freeze the stuff. I used to keep it on my back porch, then I put it in the office, and now I'm gonna put cigars in it.

I wish I could see more of the inside back of your unit.
I just want to know more about the temp control that's in it. Seems like the sensor lead (the part that reads the temp, I'm lost for the word right now) is buried?
[Reply]
G G 10:15 AM 03-30-2015
I have a couple, one a decent one (I think) and one a cheapo from Walmart. Here are some pics and it does appear that the temp probe is hidden at least from the inside:

And here's a little diddy I did a couple years ago for the people who keep us free. It was in the same bunch of pics on photobucket and I though it would bring something besides the drudgery of this thread. LOL

[Reply]
G G 10:41 AM 03-30-2015
The thermometers didn't match in the photo cause I took them out a little apart
[Reply]
shilala 10:45 AM 03-30-2015
Okay, buddy. Awesome tune, by the way. :-)

Ima need to look up that control. It's blowing my mind.
That top thermometer/hygrometer, you should probably stomp that. The caliber is a good one. I'd still feel better if you had a plain, old fridge thermometer.
Does the woman have one of those thermometers hanging on her fridge shelf? I doubt it, those went the way of the dinosaurs when they invented glass shelves.

This is a good type of thermometer for temperature, and they're cheap...
Nevermind, I just sent you a couple via Amazon. They'll be there Wednesday. :-)
[Reply]
G G 10:50 AM 03-30-2015
Well you didn't have to do that, I was already thinking when I go to the big city today I could pick one up, but there is no need now. Thanks a ton and I will get them in there soon as I get them.:-)
[Reply]
shilala 10:54 AM 03-30-2015
My pleasure, brother. :-)

I can't find a schematic for the Model LFWC35F4LB, or a parts breakdown.
I need Adam. T.G. Adam, not chocolate pudding Adam.
[Reply]
G G 05:42 PM 04-01-2015
Okay the new and improved thermometers came in today. But I am two hours and twenty minutes from getting off from a 38 hour shift. I get home at almost 11 pm, go to bed and get up at 7 am for another 24 hours. So I will put them into the fridge tonight and will update what happens on Friday.:-)
[Reply]
G G 08:03 AM 04-03-2015
I got home this morning and with the thermometers Shilala sent me the temp is settled in at around 58 degrees. The good thing is the temp matches the thermometers that I already had in there. The Walmart cheapo is about 2 degrees off from the hygro and the two Shilala sent. Maybe that means when I get the other drawers and the shelf back in it, it will help it a little more.
[Reply]
G G 08:22 AM 04-03-2015
Checked again and it goes down to about 51 degrees when it cycles then up to around 58.

That's better than 43 though.
[Reply]
shilala 08:34 AM 04-03-2015
I don't know anything about that thermostat, so we'll just have to see what happens once you load it up.
58 wouldn't be awful, but it's too cold for me. It'd be okay for me if I had a regular humi on top and moved "smokes I was going to smoke" up there to warm.
I always smoke out of my travel humidors, so it would be fine, I suppose.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up