Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Entertainment>The Pacific - DISCUSSION THREAD
Darrell 06:11 PM 03-11-2010
The premier of The Pacific (a 10 part mini series) is this Sunday on HBO at 9 PM.

Similar to Band of Brothers, this series follows the USMC's involvement in the Pacific Theater, rather than the U.S. Army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pac...8miniseries%29

This is produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg.

Who is excited? I know I am.
[Reply]
jaydub13 06:32 PM 03-11-2010
I can't wait.... Band of Brothers was amazing, and this cannot be anything less.
[Reply]
Powers 06:35 PM 03-11-2010
Love Band of Brothers, have the collection on DVD, watched it like 3 times. Don't have HBO but will by the box collection of The Pacific the day it comes out.

Anything that gets Americans excited about their history is good in my book

:-)
[Reply]
SteveA 06:36 PM 03-11-2010
I'm cautiously optimistic. Band of Brothers was awesome and it's hard for me to imagine another series coming close. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.
[Reply]
ucla695 08:25 PM 03-11-2010
I'm excited!! If it's anything like BoB, it'll be great! :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 07:32 AM 03-12-2010
Makes me wish I had HBO. Will hafta wait for DVD. Hanks has been saying stoopid things lately, hopefully the series isn't tarnished by his mind set!
[Reply]
Powers 08:16 AM 03-12-2010
This is a great video of Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg hosting an event at the World War II Memorial in DC with Pacific veterans in attendance:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=artslot

:-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 08:43 AM 03-12-2010
I am stoked! I imagine it being a Speilberg/Hanks production that it will live up to expectations.

Over the last month I've watched BoB again in anticipation of this release. :-)
[Reply]
Jack Straw 08:54 AM 03-12-2010
Very cool, if only I had HBO. I really enjoyed Band of Brothers and Generation Kill.
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:10 AM 03-12-2010
While I wasn't a fan of the Band of Brothers...this looks interesting.
[Reply]
Darrell 10:31 AM 03-12-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
While I wasn't a fan of the Band of Brothers...this looks interesting.
Why not? Did they not accurately depict what you guys were doing over there? You should have consulted for them, being you had first hand experience. :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 08:11 PM 03-14-2010
I liked it. Kinda slow at the beginning, but built up to some good action. Looks like it'll be a great series.
[Reply]
0002S 08:43 PM 03-14-2010
After watching this, I get a feeling this one is going to not be as good ad Band of Brothers.
[Reply]
Aron 08:46 PM 03-14-2010
Originally Posted by 0002S:
After watching this, I get a feeling this one is going to not be as good ad Band of Brothers.
While that is highly possible, as Band of Brothers was based on Stephen Ambrose, I must say The Pacific looks like it could turn out to be something really special.
[Reply]
M1903A1 09:17 PM 03-14-2010
Originally Posted by Aron:
While that is highly possible, as Band of Brothers was based on Stephen Ambrose, I must say The Pacific looks like it could turn out to be something really special.
Stephen Ambrose had started on a book on the Pacific war before he died. I recall reading that several of his students/assistants had decided to continue the project...I thought that The Pacific was at least in part based on it. (I realize it is primarily based on two classic books written by Pacific veterans.)

The book that I think covers the (entire) Pacific war the best is "Eagle Against The Sun: The American War With Japan" by Ronald Spector.
[Reply]
Aron 08:44 AM 03-15-2010
Mr. Springfield Rifle

I've got Spector sitting on my shelf at home. I haven't gotten the chance to read it yet, but it is definitely on my list to read eventually.

What did you think of the first episode of the series?
[Reply]
tobii3 09:24 AM 03-15-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Why not? Did they not accurately depict what you guys were doing over there? You should have consulted for them, being you had first hand experience. :-)
I'm still LMAO at this comment....:-):-):-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 09:53 AM 03-15-2010
Originally Posted by 0002S:
At first, after one episode, I thought the same thing. But I remembered BoB's first episode, while good, wasn't where the mini-series shined. I'm still holding out hope The Pacific will be nearly as moving as BoB was.
[Reply]
taltos 03:34 AM 03-16-2010
Just a note for those without HBO, if you have Comcast internet service, you should be able to link to and watch the first episode off of the Comcast home page. In addition if you go to HBO's web site and register, you can watch the first episode there. No idea if the HBO site is free. Hope that this helps.
[Reply]
ProBe 06:04 AM 03-16-2010
Originally Posted by taltos:
Just a note for those without HBO, if you have Comcast internet service, you should be able to link to and watch the first episode off of the Comcast home page. In addition if you go to HBO's web site and register, you can watch the first episode there. No idea if the HBO site is free. Hope that this helps.
Thanks for the heads up.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up