Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Lianos Dos Palmas - Dominican Wrapper (Opus X)
Steelergar 04:35 PM 03-02-2009
Lianos Dos Palmas Dominican Wrapper

]Stats:
Brand Owner:Lianos Dos Palmas
Factory:Charleston SC
Vitola:Robusto
Size:50 x 5.0
Wrapper:Dominican
Binder:Dominican
Filler:Dominican

Background:[/
Lianos Dos Palmas if a small factory more a cigar shop in Charleston SC. It is owned by Mariana, the daughter to a Dominican farmer and granddaughter to a Cuban farmer. They keep their production small as they only has one roller who you can see and talk to if you visit their shop on Wentworth Street. The roller has worked for many Cuban factories as well as the Fuente Factory No. 1 where Opus X and Ashton VSG are rolled. They offer and handful of wrappers such as a Criollo, Corojo, Connecticut Broadleaf, ecuadorian shade, and ecuadorian sumatra. The Dominican Leaf supposely uses the same wrapper as the Opus X.

A little info from their website: Lianos Dos Palmas was founded in the tobacco country of the Dominican Republic in the growing region of Tamboril. The Dominican Republic, long known for its Cuban seed "Piloto Cubano" filler tobacco, was the ideal place to grow and develop a cigar line using tobacco grown on the land of the founder. We now hand pick tobacco from the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Honduras, and even the USA. All tobacco used in our cigars are amoung the finest available. From the tobacco fields to the curing barns, warehouses, cigar rolling table, and then to you.

Pre Light: Great Appearance, smooth wrapper, excellent looking cap. There is a slight spice in the aroma with an earthy base. Superb pre light draw.

Smoke: Some spice right off the bat that stays with it for a little while. It has an salt and pepper ash with grey smoke. It is medium bodied and the base flavor is woody and smoky almost like liquid smoke. The aroma is the same as the taste I just described. The first ash was just before the half way point and is a little on the flaky side. The spice goes away at the 1/2 way point and is primarly woody with some earthiness to it. It has an excellent draw giving a full mouth of smoke. It has an even burn for the most part with some minor problems fixing themselves.

I had to relight it approaching the final 1/3 it went out in its own for some reason. I have never had this problem before with these guys it could be this stogie or the semi strong wind blowing. Some notes of nutmeg at the finish the aroma is nice smells a little like cinammon buns with that liquid smoke flavor.

Final Thought: A very good smoke to obtain locally. The construction is very good and better than alot of big name brands out there. It has some interesting flavors and nice spice but is not too complex. I have smoked a couple of these and this is the first time I have had any of the burn problems metioned above so it is not a normal thing. Supposely this guy has the same wrapper used on Opus X, I have not had one in a while so I can not compare. But I can say for the online prices they are we'll worth it. It is medium bodied but there is enough flavor in these to satisfy the full bodied smoker and it is smooth enough for somebody who likes something milder, great balance!

MSRP:
Around $6.00 in the store
Online you can get a box of 25 for $95.00 so just under $4.00. I do not get why there us such a price difference.

Like it:Yes
Recommend it :Yes expecially for dominican fans.
But it again:Yes maybee for the online price next time.

Here is their website: http://www.havacigar.com/
[Reply]
688sonarmen 11:06 PM 07-20-2010
Totally agree, a really good find. I bought a bundle several years ago of the Nic variety they have and they were very good smokes. Very very friendly and knowledgeable, it was like being in someones house. Just the roller, the husband, and the very well endowed woman who I would gather ran the place. I bombed alot of people with these and luckily still have a couple:-)
[Reply]
bigdix 03:55 AM 07-21-2010
Sweet review!! AND they're made in my hometown!! Fantastic...I definitely need to get a hold of a few of these! :-)
[Reply]
Steelergar 11:43 PM 07-25-2010
They also have an arnold blend that I like. They use to make it for the governator. If I can remember, it has a dominican wrapper and nicaraguan filler and binder.
[Reply]
longknocker 04:32 AM 07-26-2010
Didn't See These On The Website. Any Link? Thanks!:-)
[Reply]
Steelergar 09:11 PM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Didn't See These On The Website. Any Link? Thanks!:-)
They probably just sell it in the store. But if you call them and want to buy a box of the Arnold blend I'am sure they would ship it to you. Good Luck
[Reply]
Up