Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 63 of 99
« First < 1353616263 646573 > Last »
General Discussion>Wristwatch collectors out there?
mosesbotbol 07:44 AM 08-14-2012
Looking to buy my girlfriend an watch for her 40th in Nov, here are a couple of my picks for her. What do you think? I was kind of thinking it should be a watch that she may let me borrow. She like bigger watches, but something under 40mm would be best. Also considering a Rado, there are a few I thought would work for her.

1. Tonneau Retrograde Seconds - I like the look and I think she'll appreciate the jumping second hand.

2. Chopard : Mille Miglia Chronograph - Women love Chopard and it's a classy looking watch
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 07:46 AM 08-14-2012
I really like the Chopard, but the second hand on the first one is pretty unique.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:00 AM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
I really like the Chopard, but the second hand on the first one is pretty unique.
I wonder how reliable it is? I don't want to have bring to Switzerland every other year for an adjustment. I showed her both watches and she like the Chopard more. They are both used, and could possibly sell before I am ready to buy (also considering non-watch jewelry), but there are plenty Chopards around if this one gets away. Not that many have a bracelet which is real nice.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:07 AM 08-14-2012
http://www.bernardwatch.com/Chopard/...onograph/CHO83
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:24 AM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
http://www.bernardwatch.com/Chopard/...onograph/CHO83
Yes, that is the one I pictured.
[Reply]
jluck 09:42 AM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I wonder how reliable it is? I don't want to have bring to Switzerland every other year for an adjustment. I showed her both watches and she like the Chopard more. They are both used, and could possibly sell before I am ready to buy (also considering non-watch jewelry), but there are plenty Chopards around if this one gets away. Not that many have a bracelet which is real nice.
Get both.:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:57 AM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
Get both.:-)
If I win Poweball this week, then it'll be his and her Vacherons! :-)
[Reply]
mithrilG60 05:30 PM 08-15-2012
Just ordered one of these this morning; Steinhart Nav B-Chrono 47mm on brown leather strap with polished Pre-V as were as a second black leather strap with polished Pre-V. Now the waiting begins.... I have a feeling this will feel similar to when I ordered my Aristocrat from Bob.

but with these straps:

wearing this buckle:

[Reply]
hammondc 06:42 PM 08-15-2012
GORGEOUS STEINHART!!!! I have been eyeballing these hard lately. Pretty damned good value for what you get.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 07:39 PM 08-15-2012
Ya, I'm pretty chuffed with it. With the weak euro it's definitely good value. Watch plus the extra band shipped for less than the cost of 2 boxes of 1966's :-)
[Reply]
larryinlc 08:23 PM 08-15-2012
I love Steinhart. A great value and they have beautiful styles. If somehow I could grow my wrist, I would be wearing this one right now. But at 44mm and 16mm thick, it would look pretty goofy on my small arm.
Attached: steinhart.jpg (54.7 KB) 
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:50 AM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by hammondc:
GORGEOUS STEINHART!!!! I have been eyeballing these hard lately. Pretty damned good value for what you get.
Is it an automatic? Looks like a classic pilots watch with a onion crown, kind of like a Big Pilot chrono. 47 mm is huge!
[Reply]
mithrilG60 09:33 AM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Is it an automatic? Looks like a classic pilots watch with a onion crown, kind of like a Big Pilot chrono. 47 mm is huge!
Like IWC's Big Pilot Chrono, the Steinhart Nav B-Chrono is based on the B-UHREN watches that 5 companies, including IWC, produced for Luffwaffe bomber pilots and navigators before and during WWII. Steinhart also makes a line of pure pilot watches that much more closely resemble the B-Uhren's. The diamond crown on the watch I ordered is actually historically accurate, the onion/pumpkin crown is a more uniform/round shape and is a modern addition to the pilot watch.

All of Steinhart watches are mechanical, some manual wind and some automatic. The one I've ordered is a mech auto chrono using the Valjoux 7750 movement. 47mm is on the larger side depending on your wrist size, but it's the 16.7mm height that's the large dimension on this watch. I have a 19.5cm wrist and find that anything under about 42mm looks lost on my arm. While obviously not my arm, this person is wearing the 47mm on a slightly smaller 19cm wrist:

Depending on how this purchase goes, and I have no doubts that the watch quality will be just as good as the watch forums say it is, I've got a feeling I'll be ordering this marine chronometer inspired manual wind as a dress watch. Hard to go wrong for 383Euro shipped.

[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:59 AM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
The one I've ordered is a mech auto chrono using the Valjoux 7750 movement. 47mm is on the larger side depending on your wrist size, but it's the 16.7mm height that's the large dimension on this watch.
47mm is large, no matter how you cut it, but it's whether it looks foolish or not is the question. You have the wrist to carry it off. It would look out of place on me.

Looking at their site, I can't figure out where they are manufactured. It says Switzerland, but I can't find the factory address beyond just Jura. That's a well priced watch considering the movement alone may cost them $150-200 unfinished.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 11:29 AM 08-16-2012
Ya I'm not sure where exactly in Jura their factory is. They're also a small company so I would expect they contract to factory(s) which makes the pieces per design spec then ship them back to the small workshop in Augsburg, DE where Steinhart is based out of for final customizing/finishing and shipping.

Although growing quickly, Steinhart is still definitely a cult/boutique brand that doesn't have the presence or size that many of the other well established brands do. That comes with some perks though as the owner has also collaborated on several occasions with various watch enthusiast forums to create customized special editions for their members.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:52 AM 08-16-2012
I am digging thier black dive watch. A friend of mine just PVD'd his Rolex Submariner the same way.

[Reply]
Blak Smyth 11:34 AM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
Just ordered one of these this morning; Steinhart Nav B-Chrono 47mm on brown leather strap with polished Pre-V as were as a second black leather strap with polished Pre-V. Now the waiting begins.... I have a feeling this will feel similar to when I ordered my Aristocrat from Bob.

wearing this buckle:

Love this watch! :-)
[Reply]
Wolfgang 06:01 PM 08-24-2012
Just ordered a ploprof mesh band for my black monster.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 03:14 AM 08-31-2012
Knocked another link out of my android yesterday, now it fits properly. Still heavy as f*ck though, but i love it.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 06:44 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
Knocked another link out of my android yesterday, now it fits properly. Still heavy as f*ck though, but i love it.
I like a heavy watch :-)
[Reply]
Page 63 of 99
« First < 1353616263 646573 > Last »
Up