Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Credit card thieves...
larryinlc 05:47 PM 03-19-2014
You know, I'm fed up with the thieves stealing my credit card, this is the fourth time in the past several years that this has happened. It's a shame that I need to monitor my card on a daily basis, but the latest theft hit me for nearly 1000.00 in the past 24 hours. Random theft purchases all over the US. I'm debating whether I should just get rid of the stupid thing and go back to checks in the mail.

Larry
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:30 PM 03-19-2014
Do you know how the thieves are getting your credit card info?
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 06:45 PM 03-19-2014
I had someone charge a bunch of stuff to my debit card, I was pissed off because I called my bank and told them, they said "we have to prove it wasn't you", so basically YOU are guilty until proven innocent to the banks. The charges were for Direct TV, I said to the bank fraud person, well you have the Direct TV info, it was charges for equipment so you must have the name and address, I was told the bank didn't care, they aren't the police so they don't go after the people that are ripping off their clients. I was also pissed off at Direct TV for accepting a debt card that wasn't in the name of the person using it and they obviously didn't ask for the 3 digit 'security' code either.

WTF ... so yah
[Reply]
bobarian 08:00 PM 03-19-2014
Debit cards are completely different from credit cards. Debit cards offer very little or no protection against fraud. It also takes some time for any money to be refunded to your account. Most credit cards offer much better fraud protection. I've had a few credit cards compromised over the years, charges were reversed immediately and new cards issued and delivered within 48hrs. :-)
[Reply]
larryinlc 08:23 PM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Do you know how the thieves are getting your credit card info?
I have no idea. I suppose when I use it anywhere online, any worldwide hacker can gain access to it.
[Reply]
themoneycollector 08:30 PM 03-19-2014
sounds like you may need to check your computer for viruses or malware, there's some nasty stuff out there

Just this last week I couldn't get rid of some malware called "ads by offerwizard" or something like that. It hijacked my browser and I tried about 5 different antivirus before giving up and just formatting - which was good anyway, computer feels so much fresher now.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:37 PM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Debit cards are completely different from credit cards. Debit cards offer very little or no protection against fraud. It also takes some time for any money to be refunded to your account. Most credit cards offer much better fraud protection. I've had a few credit cards compromised over the years, charges were reversed immediately and new cards issued and delivered within 48hrs. :-)
I have to say, Bob, that Chase reversed the charges within 10 minutes, credited the account while they did their investigation I should say, they were actually very good about that, I was more upset with their devil may care attitude and with Direct TV. That being said I use my debt card less and less and cash more and more now, why leave yourself open for no reason.
[Reply]
MrClean 09:32 AM 03-20-2014
We bank with a credit union, we had a small charge show up for $129 to some 3rd world airline which didn't get flagged, then they tried a $3000 airline ticket purchase which got rejected even though it would have cleared. The credit union called us and we went through all the recent charges and they refunded the money right away.
I haven't used a 'standard bank' in years so I can't speak to how they handle fraund, but we've been really happy with the credit union. I know that policies differ between all banks and credit unions, but from the stories I've heard, it seems like the credit unions care a little more about their customers. :-)
[Reply]
kydsid 09:44 AM 03-20-2014
Originally Posted by MrClean:
We bank with a credit union, we had a small charge show up for $129 to some 3rd world airline which didn't get flagged, then they tried a $3000 airline ticket purchase which got rejected even though it would have cleared. The credit union called us and we went through all the recent charges and they refunded the money right away.
I haven't used a 'standard bank' in years so I can't speak to how they handle fraund, but we've been really happy with the credit union. I know that policies differ between all banks and credit unions, but from the stories I've heard, it seems like the credit unions care a little more about their customers. :-)
This is exactly how Wells Fargo has treated any problems I've had. In fact if I travel so me where I'll get an automated call to verify transactions that are pending within the first day or two in the destination.
[Reply]
Subvet642 10:42 AM 03-20-2014
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
I have to say, Bob, that Chase reversed the charges within 10 minutes, credited the account while they did their investigation I should say, they were actually very good about that, I was more upset with their devil may care attitude and with Direct TV. That being said I use my debt card less and less and cash more and more now, why leave yourself open for no reason.
I have a debit card that I use by transferring only what I need for a purchase from another account, and only that much. If anyone else tries to use it, they'll find it empty and I'll get an email from the credit union.
[Reply]
Subvet642 11:07 AM 03-20-2014
Originally Posted by MrClean:
That's because they don't have customers, they're called shareholders. The nature of a credit union is that it's owned by its depositors, so they're not really customers. Our credit union has regular elections for president, etc. and every shareholder can vote. It offers more services, mostly free (of course you would pay interest on loans, pay for safe deposit boxes, etc.) and kept further ahead of the technology and security curve than any bank I know. Your credit union rocks because you, and people like you, own it.:-)
[Reply]
14holestogie 11:36 AM 03-20-2014
Bank America offers a ShopSafe service where you generate a new number for just the amount you need at the time that charges back to your original. Works like a charm. Leaves little or nothing for the scammers.
Not my favorite charge card, but they are the only ones I know offering this type of service.
[Reply]
Brlesq 12:07 PM 03-20-2014
I've had my card numbers stolen 3x in the last 4 years, and its a real PITA. Once was a data breach at BJ's Wholesale Club (hundreds of thousands of card numbers stolen) but the other 2 were simply a waiter or hostess writing down my information while charging my meal I ate OUT OF TOWN and then quickly sending it on to their criminal ring to do some damage before I could return from the trip. In one instance they were even able to manufacture a new fake credit card with my numbers and a magnetic strip in just a few hours! The lesson here is to never talk up the waiter/waitress and let them know you are from out-of-town, and use cash if possible.

BTW, all three times AmEx was superb at (1) identifying the problem before it got to far, (2) figuring out the place where the card numbers were stolen, and (3) getting me a replacement card in 12-18 hours.
[Reply]
Brian D. 01:21 PM 03-20-2014
Mostly I still just use cash. Is it a hassle sometimes, like when you have to stand in line twice to get gas at the prepay pumps? Yeah. But I don't care enough to expose myself to more fraud/theft opportunities than necessary.

Someone wants to rip me off they should stick to doing it in person, so I can shoot them full of holes.
[Reply]
n3uka 09:01 PM 03-20-2014
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
they are the only ones I know offering this type of service.
Citibank also offers a virtual credit card option.
[Reply]
Dude Here 09:32 PM 03-20-2014
Had my card info stolen a while back and it was actually a fairly painless process to get the fraudulent charges taken off and a new card sent out. The bigger pain was updating all my bills and accounts with the new card info.

Best I can figure how they got the info was when I stopped at a gas station and swiped my card at the pump. It didn't register on the pump so I tried again and nothing. I moved to another pump and it worked fine. It wasn't until I saw the charges that I remembered how thieves use a device that they slide into the card reader to take your number. Next time that happens I'll make sure to let the attendant know.
[Reply]
JoeCool87TC 09:36 PM 03-20-2014
Debit cards are every bit as safe as credit cards IF they are either VISA or MasterCard issued debit cards; check with your financial institution for complete details.
[Reply]
dijit 04:41 AM 03-21-2014
I have stopped using the debit option on my debit card for exactly what is going on with you Larry. The bank told me that when you use the debit card option with pin number if it is somehow hacked it is up to me to disprove the fraudulent charges and no refunds made until that proof is confirmed valid. If you use it as a credit card you are afforded the full protections offered by Visa/Mastercard if it is one of their cards.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:28 AM 03-21-2014
You should go to another bank. My banks call me if there is something suspicious and I am never on the hook for fraud charges.

I also have to call them when I leave the country so they know foreign charges are mine.
[Reply]
357 08:20 AM 03-21-2014
Originally Posted by themoneycollector:
sounds like you may need to check your computer for viruses or malware, there's some nasty stuff out there

Just this last week I couldn't get rid of some malware called "ads by offerwizard" or something like that. It hijacked my browser and I tried about 5 different antivirus before giving up and just formatting - which was good anyway, computer feels so much fresher now.
As an IT guy this is the most likely cause. 2nd most likely cause is a rogue employee at one of the vendors you're using.

1. Stop using your debit card for online purchases unless you go throug PP.
2. Use an actual credit card instead as they have the CC company's money not yours, at least until it shakes out.
3. Go to bleepingcomputer.net and run ComboFix. It knocks out most any hijack type spyware/malware and it does it fast. It doesn't scan for hours on end. Only download it from that domain as it's so effective other have created infected versions and posted it on other sites.
4. Once finished with ComboFix, you may also want to run a longer MalwareBytes or Microsoft Security Essentials scan to pick up any leftover pieces. ComboFix basically fixes key parts to Windows but doesn't necessarily delete the infected files that might be laying around in temp locations and such.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up