Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
General Discussion>Speed test results
DBall 08:43 AM 06-08-2011
Just for the hell of it, let's see who has the good speeds. Here's one of the benefits of working at a telecom company (this result is at the office, not at home):

:-)
[Reply]
markem 08:48 AM 06-08-2011
Nice!

When I taught at Portland State University, I had a network research lab that was connected to Internet2 and several other backbones. Through an equipment grant from Intel and Alcatel, I had gigabit to my desktop. Didn't make MS Word run any faster though...
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 08:52 AM 06-08-2011
Home:

Work:

The speeds at home work great for Blu-Ray movie streaming, gaming, bittorrenting, etc etc :-)
[Reply]
bazookajoe 08:52 AM 06-08-2011
Originally Posted by DBall:
Must be nice...

[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:55 AM 06-08-2011
Behind my work firewall

[Reply]
jonumberone 08:59 AM 06-08-2011
Just for the hell of it, let's see who has the good speeds. Here's one of the benefits of working at a telecom company (this result is at the office, not at home):

With speeds like that, you would think uploading a few pics of a Herf would be a piece of cake! :-)
[Reply]
Whee 09:05 AM 06-08-2011

I'm like grandma driving in the fast lane...:-):-)
[Reply]
bonjing 09:06 AM 06-08-2011
This is at work with NO students around. :-)

[Reply]
DBall 09:06 AM 06-08-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
With speeds like that, you would think uploading a few pics of a Herf would be a piece of cake! :-)
Internet connectivity speed is not a representation of free time or ambition, Dom... hahaha... :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:16 PM 06-08-2011
At home over my wireless to the FIOS router:

My service is supposed to b 25MB, so it looks good...
[Reply]
awsmith4 12:19 PM 06-08-2011
I knew it was kinda slow here at the office but...

[Reply]
Bill86 12:25 PM 06-08-2011
I really don't think these speed tests prove anything though. The day I download NEAR 20MB/S I'll die of happyness....more than likely I D/L between 1.5mb/s - 2.5mb/s.

I'm on crapcast though so chances are I should be going faster.

Did I mention I really don't believe these tests at all. At that speed my websites should load at the blink of an eye.....they don't.

[Reply]
DBall 12:29 PM 06-08-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
I really don't think these speed tests prove anything though. The day I download NEAR 20MB/S I'll die of happyness....more than likely I D/L between 1.5mb/s - 2.5mb/s.

I'm on crapcast though so chances are I should be going faster.

Did I mention I really don't believe these tests at all. At that speed my websites should load at the blink of an eye.....they don't.

Gotta take hardware (on both ends) into account. :-)
[Reply]
kickerb 12:30 PM 06-08-2011
small correction Bill, you have 20Mb not 20MB

that is a HUGE difference in speeds. 20MB = 160Mb

:-) :-)
[Reply]
kickerb 12:31 PM 06-08-2011

you're upload speed is super awesome, and very rare!
[Reply]
Bill86 12:32 PM 06-08-2011
Gotta take hardware (on both ends) into account. :-)
Yeah I hear ya, Crapcast is exceptionally bad in my area.....

I've had their service in 3 different cities, this is by far the worst. My modem and router are always new (under 6 months old) and they are always "fixing something" around here...nothing changes.

I really think small cities get the shaft big time in service. That and go figure we're ONE BLOCK from getting fiber optics.
[Reply]
kickerb 12:33 PM 06-08-2011
also, make sure that you pick a good server on the speedtest.net site. for instance If i speed test from Tallahassee, FL to Tallahassee, FL it is not impressive. this is because the speed test server is slow in Tallahassee. But if I connect to say Atlanta, GA instead. I see a MUCH better speed test! :-)
[Reply]
kickerb 12:35 PM 06-08-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Yeah I hear ya, Crapcast is exceptionally bad in my area.....

I've had their service in 3 different cities, this is by far the worst. My modem and router are always new (under 6 months old) and they are always "fixing something" around here...nothing changes.

I really think small cities get the shaft big time in service. That and go figure we're ONE BLOCK from getting fiber optics.
Bill you need to verify that you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. that is a common issue with comcast users, they have the high class speed with the lack of local hardware that is EASY to change to.
[Reply]
Bill86 12:38 PM 06-08-2011
Originally Posted by kickerb:
also, make sure that you pick a good server on the speedtest.net site. for instance If i speed test from Tallahassee, FL to Tallahassee, FL it is not impressive. this is because the speed test server is slow in Tallahassee. But if I connect to say Atlanta, GA instead. I see a MUCH better speed test! :-)
Eh that doesn't change my connection speed though Bryan, only makes the numbers higher. I could really care less about the numbers. I want results. Comcast plays the pick a city game with me all the time.

Originally Posted by kickerb:
Bill you need to verify that you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. that is a common issue with comcast users, they have the high class speed with the lack of local hardware that is EASY to change to.
I haven't checked this one out fully but I'm 99% sure it is a DOCSIS 3.0.
[Reply]
kickerb 12:41 PM 06-08-2011
well doing a little math, it seems you are right on target.

20.72 megabits (Mb) = 2.59 megabytes (MB) you said you would get 2.5MB down

Im on comcastic as well, im satisfied with it. the speeds are good in Tallahassee, FL.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
Up