Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
General Discussion>Why Text Message
ucla695 06:12 PM 12-03-2008
I text from time to time, but not really on a regular basis. I can see the benefits, but not on a 24-7 basis. Especially in the movie theater! It seems like everytime I go to see a movie these days, there's some a$$hat in front that insists on texting during the movie. What is that important that it can't wait for a couple of hours. And if it is that important, the person shouldn't be watching a movie anyway. [/rant off] :-)
[Reply]
neoflex 06:13 PM 12-03-2008
Simple Answer, I hate talking on the phone.:-)
[Reply]
fxpose 06:13 PM 12-03-2008
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
really? c'mon...I can text..email..IM..surf the web..check stocks..follow my fav website on the road..all from my cell....oh yeah and I can make calls..send pics..video...uhm..p0000rn :-)
I could do all that while doing a trackstand on my fixed gear at a busy intersection. :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 06:17 PM 12-03-2008
Originally Posted by fxpose:
I could do all that while doing a trackstand on my fixed gear at a busy intersection. :-)
:-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 06:23 PM 12-03-2008
Originally Posted by kdog:
Amen Bro, Preach on it. It's not the end of the world if you take a message.:-)
Tell that to my wife, please!
really? c'mon...I can text..email..IM..surf the web..check stocks..follow my fav website on the road..all from my cell....oh yeah and I can make calls..send pics..video...uhm..p0000rn :-)
Leave it to a Masshole to bring up p0000rn in a text message thread :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 06:26 PM 12-03-2008
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
Tell that to my wife, please!

Leave it to a Masshole to bring up p0000rn in a text message thread :-)
sorry...I can watch Family Guy and Top Gear on it too!

Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Starscream 06:28 PM 12-03-2008
sorry...I can watch Family Guy and Top Gear on it too!

Posted via Mobile Device
:-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 06:31 PM 12-03-2008
I am not much for phone talking but I hate texting more. I would much rather hear a voice than read words that are usually bastardized. Just another device that makes interpersonal relations take a back seat, imo.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 06:38 PM 12-03-2008
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I am not much for phone talking but I hate texting more. I would much rather hear a voice than read words that are usually bastardized. Just another device that makes interpersonal relations take a back seat, imo.
OMG u 2?
[Reply]
SteveA 08:56 PM 12-03-2008
I don't get it. You can dial a number and talk to someone and get an immediate answer. WHY TEXT???? and wait for an answer. Maybe I'm just old but I can't get it. Help me.:-)
It's easy. It's quicker than a verbal conversation. I don't always need an immediate answer.
[Reply]
SonsofClubDeck 01:11 AM 12-04-2008
Honestly, I hate being contacted by phone. When my cell phone buzzes the first words to come to my mind are "who" and "why." I rarely carry my phone with me around the house so I have a toooooon of missed calls and I don't like sifting through voicemails. My father has found out that if he texts me, it is much more likely that I will respond faster. I don't mean to stray off topic here, but just because someone is texting doesn't make it any less rude when they are in certain social situations. I took a girl out recently and she texted the entire night. When I have jokingly called her out on it, she said "Well its not like I was on the phone." Thank God I only took her to Bojangles. I went through a drive through just this morning and had to wait a full minute while someone finished a text message. However, if I had as much facial hair as she did (and if I were a female) I'd probably stay inside and text rather than show myself in public. Sorry for the rant. Screw texting.
[Reply]
Cigary 01:32 AM 12-04-2008
I hear ya,,,glad I'm older and not having to be in a position where I needed to date and have to deal with some hooch that would try to explain why she needed to text the whole time we're on a date,,,,she'd have been on the receiving end of my old tactic of,,,," s'cuse me, but I need to use the restroom" and then hit the exit by the bathroom and drive the F off and let her deal with the ,,,,what happened to my date? I did that probably a half dozen times in my day,,,

Originally Posted by SonsofClubDeck:
Honestly, I hate being contacted by phone. When my cell phone buzzes the first words to come to my mind are "who" and "why." I rarely carry my phone with me around the house so I have a toooooon of missed calls and I don't like sifting through voicemails. My father has found out that if he texts me, it is much more likely that I will respond faster. I don't mean to stray off topic here, but just because someone is texting doesn't make it any less rude when they are in certain social situations. I took a girl out recently and she texted the entire night. When I have jokingly called her out on it, she said "Well its not like I was on the phone." Thank God I only took her to Bojangles. I went through a drive through just this morning and had to wait a full minute while someone finished a text message. However, if I had as much facial hair as she did (and if I were a female) I'd probably stay inside and text rather than show myself in public. Sorry for the rant. Screw texting.

[Reply]
Snake Hips 01:10 PM 12-04-2008
I text, but I dislike it. I have 2 reasons to do it though.

1) One of my very good friends now lives in Virginia, and talking on the phone is impractical and costly, so I just text her.

2) Sometimes I need to have an entire conversation with someone across town without turning my attention from the teacher :-)
[Reply]
loki 01:20 PM 12-04-2008
I don't get it. You can dial a number and talk to someone and get an immediate answer. WHY TEXT???? and wait for an answer. Maybe I'm just old but I can't get it. Help me.:-)
I don't like to call people if I don't have to. If I'm texting someone it's for stupid crap or to keep up with my fiancee in places where she can't talk (law school study rooms ect). I'd rather text someone and let them get back to me when they have time. I texted frank and anita to ask them about batteries for a wii controller. I could ahve called but they could have been eaten or playing with the grand kids ect and I didn't want to interrupt them so I figured a text would work better.
[Reply]
ahc4353 01:22 PM 12-04-2008
I sent my response to your phone.
[Reply]
GKitty 01:29 PM 12-04-2008
Because sometimes I just need to make a statement or send a quick reminder.... Or I'm bored at work and want to have a convo with my BFF which I don't want to share with my cubemates.

All that being said, I agree with a lot of the things that have been said in this thread so far in regard to the appropriate time and place. Nothing makes me crazier than when I'm trying to have a serious and/or constructive conversation with someone and they keep pickin up their phone.
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 01:35 PM 12-04-2008
I see we have quite a few Luddites on this board...
[Reply]
AriesOpusX 01:43 PM 12-04-2008
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Kinda like using a forum instead of meeting friends face to face? :-) Sometimes texting is just more convenient.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 01:47 PM 12-04-2008
uhm..p0000rn :-)
You most certainly didn't get it from me. :-):-)

But if you want to be added to the list, check out the Masshole Text Message Distribution List in the Masshole Banter Thread. :-) Buyer, er, beware.

Originally Posted by Big Vito:
OMG u 2?
OMG :-):-):-):

Originally Posted by ahc4353:
I sent my response to your phone.
:-)

I don't text too much; shut up Bao, Scott, Greg, Moe & Bob....but sometimes, it's handy. As we've become more & more busy, less available & more & more a multi-tasking ADD, impersonal society, it's, well, sometimes okay to follow suit. Some of my clients prefer it, prefer IM's to phonecalls (shut up Scott :-)); it's just the way things have gone. And it is damn handy sometimes. Try it & you'll figure it out after a bit. But Mike's right, I think it's actually legal in California to beat someone about the head if they whip out the celly during a movie. That's one of the reasons I have what's called a 'DVD player'. :-)

And I even text the wife phone numbers & such, little love notes too, to try to make up for my impersonal foibles that I've been forced to perform by society.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 01:48 PM 12-04-2008
Originally Posted by AriesOpusX:
Kinda like using a forum instead of meeting friends face to face? :-) Sometimes texting is just more convenient.
Was JUST about to say that too!
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up