Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>I need help choosing a blackberry...
jbonnefsc 11:17 AM 12-02-2008
So I'm getting a new phone for Christmas, and I'm getting a Blackberry. I think it is time, because I need to be more plugged in most of the time because of my Job (I work in Residence Life on a college campus).

We have AT&T, but I can't afford an iPhone, looking for something in the $200 dollar range.

I thought the Curve looked good, anyone have this phone and want to tell me what you think? Is there another member of the Blackberry family I should be looking at instead?

Thanks folks!!!
[Reply]
dunng 11:18 AM 12-02-2008
Curve is great, especially if you do a lot of typing... I'm on the thing all the time... :-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 11:21 AM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by dunng:
Curve is great, especially if you do a lot of typing... I'm on the thing all the time... :-)

+2
[Reply]
piperman 11:26 AM 12-02-2008
I have the pearl, nice phone too.
[Reply]
md4958 11:31 AM 12-02-2008
i HATE my Pearl. Several time already Ive been tempted to throw the thing from a speeding car, but figured that would be too gentle!
[Reply]
AAlmeter 11:40 AM 12-02-2008
I have the curve. Im on my third. Great phone, but not reliable. Some power supply issues, currently the 'p' and 'enter' keys dont work. Occasionally the phone locks up or the screen washes out. I know of several others with the phone who have similar problems
[Reply]
elderboy02 11:43 AM 12-02-2008
I have the Curve and it works great.
[Reply]
cvm4 11:50 AM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by md4958:
i HATE my Pearl. Several time already Ive been tempted to throw the thing from a speeding car, but figured that would be too gentle!
:-) Get insurance first :-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 11:59 AM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by jbonnefsc:

We have AT&T, but I can't afford an iPhone, looking for something in the $200 dollar range.

Thanks folks!!!
Isn't the 3g iphone $199?
[Reply]
SonsofClubDeck 12:00 PM 12-02-2008
two of my good friends work for AT&T and both have Curves. they have told me that out of all the phones AT&T has (other than the iphone) that the Curve is the best one. the GPS feature you can get it spot on. works great.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 12:12 PM 12-02-2008
Blackberry just came out with the Storm which I've fiddled around with a little. I like it and will probably get it for Verizon. I don't know if they offer it for AT&T.
[Reply]
icurrie 12:16 PM 12-02-2008
I have a personal Pearl and a work curve. I just got the curve and I really like it. Having the letters on individual keys is much better that sharing keys like on the pearl. Just make sure you have a good data plan, I was uniformed and i guess emails count...... instead of $15 I had to pay $85.:-)
[Reply]
GTsetGO 12:18 PM 12-02-2008
i have the pearl and like the thing. i got it over the curve due to the size.
[Reply]
GoatLocker 12:40 PM 12-02-2008
The Curve from AT&T does not have wifi, so unless you are paying for an unlimited data package, you will not have internet access. Being on a campus, I would think wifi would be a nice feature. If you don't care about wifi or 3G, the curve is pretty nice and cheap.

The new Blackberry Bold seems to be the replacement for the Curve, has some additional features (including wifi) but is a little over your budget, and overpriced IMHO.

AT&T never seems to get the good phones, but I do like their service overall.
[Reply]
cbsmokin 12:56 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by AAlmeter:
I have the curve. Im on my third. Great phone, but not reliable. Some power supply issues, currently the 'p' and 'enter' keys dont work. Occasionally the phone locks up or the screen washes out. I know of several others with the phone who have similar problems
I have it as well and it has locked up several times. Have to take the battery out and wait about 5 minutes for it to restart. A friends does the same thing as well. My wife has the Iphone, which I love for the Internet, but for texting and email the blackberry is better because of the real keyboard.
[Reply]
jbonnefsc 01:45 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by GoatLocker:
The Curve from AT&T does not have wifi, so unless you are paying for an unlimited data package, you will not have internet access. Being on a campus, I would think wifi would be a nice feature. If you don't care about wifi or 3G, the curve is pretty nice and cheap.

The new Blackberry Bold seems to be the replacement for the Curve, has some additional features (including wifi) but is a little over your budget, and overpriced IMHO.

AT&T never seems to get the good phones, but I do like their service overall.
But if i do get the unlimited data package, I have Internet access, right?

Because there is no way I could get it without built in wifi, as the campus is only about 50% covered with wireless. Plus, I would like to be able to surf the net all the time...

How good is the quality of Internet? I know there is a Cigar asylum Mobile, does it work okay?
[Reply]
AAlmeter 03:26 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by cbsmokin:
I have it as well and it has locked up several times. Have to take the battery out and wait about 5 minutes for it to restart. A friends does the same thing as well. My wife has the Iphone, which I love for the Internet, but for texting and email the blackberry is better because of the real keyboard.
Yeah that often works. The last one I had wouldnt respond to that though. The scroll ball would work (but couldnt 'click'), and nothing on the keyboard worked. That was replaced under warranty.
[Reply]
GoatLocker 03:27 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by jbonnefsc:
But if i do get the unlimited data package, I have Internet access, right?

Because there is no way I could get it without built in wifi, as the campus is only about 50% covered with wireless. Plus, I would like to be able to surf the net all the time...

How good is the quality of Internet? I know there is a Cigar asylum Mobile, does it work okay?
You will have internet everywhere as long as you have a data plan. It won't be as fast as the current phones with 3G.
[Reply]
The Professor 03:36 PM 12-02-2008
You said in the first post that you're not getting the iPhone because it costs too much and you only have a $200 budget. Isn't the iPhone $199 now? Just asking b/c it'll bug me if I don't.

The wife and I have been contemplating crackberries lately. Thinking of the curve, too; but we've got 6 months before we get new phones.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 03:53 PM 12-02-2008
co-worker just picked up a iPhone for 200
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up