Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>AHH!!! MOLD!!! What do I do?
Thrak 03:23 PM 02-12-2009
This is the first time this has happened to me. Like many other BOTL's, I've been fighting to keep my rh at an acceptable level. I grabbed an old style foam humdifier rectangle and used distilled water.

Today I went to investigate my stash (since its been 70* here this week) and this is what I found on the cigars closest to it. The other ones had cello on them and I cant find any evidence of mold.

I also cannot see anything in the humi itself. I wiped it up with a dry cloth just in case. The mold hasnt spread from these.

Anyway to save these, its only evident on the cap? They are H.Upmann CC's from my recent cruise. I'd hate to lose them. :-)

[Reply]
SilverFox 03:26 PM 02-12-2009
Take a paper towel or soft cotton cloth.

Gently clean all the mold off.

Get a new paper towel or a new cotton cloth repeat the process.

I usually do three iterations of this to make sure I have gotten as many of the mold spores as humanly possible. I even blow my sticks off after with compressed air (if you do this be careful)

In my three instances of mold, never has it come back.

You need to clean whatever they where in as well, bet thing is de natured alcohol.

If the mold isn't in the sticks (like the foot) you are ok and they should be fine to smoke from my experience.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 03:28 PM 02-12-2009
Thats not mold, thats the good stuff :-)

Just wipe it off and replace, should be fine in a week :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 03:29 PM 02-12-2009
Originally Posted by SilverFox:

I usually do three iterations of this to make sure I have gotten as many of the mold spores as humanly possible. I even blow my sticks off after with compressed air (if you do this be careful)

You need to clean whatever they where in as well, bet thing is de natured alcohol.

If the mold isn't in the sticks (like the foot) you are ok and they should be fine to smoke from my experience.
:-) Solid advice. It doesn't look that bad so they should clean up nicely. Definitely check the feet to make sure they don't have any signs of mold.

I also suggest lowering your RH to prevent this from recurring, which should be easy this time of year.
[Reply]
LordOfWu 03:31 PM 02-12-2009

What he said!

I had some RG CE's do the same thing...wiped 'em off and they were fine.
[Reply]
Thrak 03:33 PM 02-12-2009

I only have 1 humidor, how long does using the denatured alcohol take to clear out? Will I need to reseason it? I've got about 85 sticks in it now . (all are mold free though)

My rh with the old humidifier was 65-66%... I'll keep it out though, since that is where the mold came from. It was only on the non-cello sticks right next to it. :-)
[Reply]
BigAl_SC 04:27 PM 02-12-2009
Beads..... Beads.... Beads!!!

They'll get it rock solid at 65 and keep it that way.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 04:55 PM 02-12-2009
Thats Plume! :-) :-)
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 05:02 PM 02-12-2009
Originally Posted by BigAl_SC:
Beads..... Beads.... Beads!!!

They'll get it rock solid at 65 and keep it that way.
:-)
[Reply]
Nimbus 05:07 PM 02-12-2009
I thought that was plume :-) :-)

Wipe off the mold and smoke the cigars. :-)
[Reply]
karmaz00 05:18 PM 02-12-2009
get some beads...wipe off the mold.. and you should be good to go
[Reply]
robertw1249 05:19 PM 02-12-2009
you need to get you some shilala bead they work really good
[Reply]
SmoknTaz 06:12 PM 02-12-2009
As mentioned, as long as the mold is not in the foot you should be okay. Take a deep breath . . . . . and exhale. Everything will be just fine. :-)
[Reply]
Aladdin Sane 06:13 PM 02-12-2009
Great advice in this thread and beads are a fantastic humidity source for your smoke :-)
[Reply]
dillio 06:17 PM 02-12-2009
Just send them to me and I'll take care of them :-)
[Reply]
SilverFox 06:32 PM 02-12-2009
Take your sticks out puttem in a tupperdore or ziploc

Wipe the humi down with denatured alcohol (us sparingly) let it sit open for a day.

Reload your sticks and humidification and you should be good to go.
[Reply]
Stonewall 07:01 PM 02-12-2009
I think a trip to heartfelt is in order I am on the way there out with the foam in with the beads.. I have had no mold as of yet but not going to take the chance too much money wrapped up in those combustible sticks..
Josh
[Reply]
spectrrr 05:33 AM 02-13-2009
what needs said has already been said. grab some beads and wipe her down. Bear in mind that a certain amount of mold is always in the air. its when your humidty spikes that you have a problem.
ALSO its when you have a rapid CHANGE in temp. Please, someone that hasnt been up for that last 24 hours straight, remind us how the temp change works? in a nutshell, rapid temp change may not increase the humidity in the air, BUT it can cause extra moisture / water to form on the surface of the sticks, and voila, mold! (learned that one the hard way when I was starting out)

and lastly, there's a REALLY good chance your hydro isnt nearly as accurate as you think it is. foam humidifier "holding steady at 65-66%" suggests to me its highly probable its been holding steady much higher, and just that little spike put you over the edge.... (another one of those been there, done that ones)
[Reply]
Thrak 06:19 AM 02-13-2009
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
and lastly, there's a REALLY good chance your hydro isnt nearly as accurate as you think it is. foam humidifier "holding steady at 65-66%" suggests to me its highly probable its been holding steady much higher, and just that little spike put you over the edge.... (another one of those been there, done that ones)
sorry, I didnt give complete info.. I've also got 6 drymistat sticks in there. The foam one was to supply additional humidification.

My hygro has been baselined and is -4% on the display, so I do believe it is accurate.
[Reply]
md4958 08:29 AM 02-13-2009
Not to beat a dead horse but... Image

rember this thread you posted?
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8853
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up