Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 130 of 270
« First < 3080120128129130 131132140180230 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
Flynnster 09:03 PM 08-10-2011
While it won't be in a smoker exactly, I'm cooking a brisket on friday, but I have a question. When a recipe says "top" of the brisket is that the side with a layer of fat?

It's going to be cooking for a total of 6 hours, gas grill (shudder) but I've got some chips that will be smoking the whole time too.
[Reply]
tupacboy 05:16 PM 08-11-2011
anyone try thai style ribs...

found this recipe... the cook time seems a bit low... what do you guys think?

Ingredients

3 -1 1/2 lb racks of baby back ribs, membrane removed
3 cups of apple wood chips (750ml)

Thai Marinade
2 tablespoons peanut oil (30ml)
2 teaspoons of sesame oil (10ml)
2 tablespoons fish sauce (30ml)
2 tablespoons garlic, minced (30ml)
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced (15ml)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (60ml)
2 stalks lemongrass, outer leaves removed and center thinly sliced
2 tablespoons sugar (30ml)
1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar (15ml)
The juice of 2 limes

Dipping & Basting Sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (15ml)
1/2 cup pineapple juice (125ml)
The juice of 2 limes
2 tablespoons white sugar (30ml)
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped (15ml)
1 teaspoon chili pure (10ml)
1 stalk lemon grass, finely chopped

Method

In a small bowl mix together rice wine vinegar, pineapple juice, lime juice, sugar, garlic, chili puree, and lemongrass.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until time to serve with the ribs.

In a large bowl whisk together fish sauce, peanut oil, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, cilantro, lemon grass, sugar, rice wine vinegar and lime juice.

Place ribs in a sealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over ribs and place in the refrigerator. Let marinate for 4 hours.

Soak only 2 cups (500ml) of the apple wood chips in water for one hour.

Prepare barbeque for grilling with indirect heat by preheating one side of the grill to 400°F/200°C or high heat and leaving the other side of the grill off.

Prepare a smoke pouch by squeezing the excess liquid from the soaked wood chips and place them on the centre of a large piece of tin foil. Combine the dry wood chips with the wet and fold the foil around the wood chips creating a pouch.

Using a fork, poke several holes in the smoke pouch and place it under the grate on the heated side of the barbeque. Close the lid and wait for smoke.

Once you have smoke, lower the heat under the smoke pouch to 275°F/135°C or medium heat and place the ribs on the opposite side of the grill where the burner remains off.

Close the lid and smoke ribs for 2.5 hours.

Baste Ribs with dipping and basting sauce in the last half hour.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:47 PM 08-11-2011
Originally Posted by tupacboy:
anyone try thai style ribs...
No, but I know what I'm making this weekend.
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 05:53 PM 08-11-2011
Originally Posted by Flynnster:
While it won't be in a smoker exactly, I'm cooking a brisket on friday, but I have a question. When a recipe says "top" of the brisket is that the side with a layer of fat?

It's going to be cooking for a total of 6 hours, gas grill (shudder) but I've got some chips that will be smoking the whole time too.
Whenever I do a brisket the "top" for me is always the side with the fat.
[Reply]
Flynnster 12:35 AM 08-12-2011
Thanks! I figured as much, then all the fat would drip down the rest of the meat. Mhmmmmmmmm
[Reply]
dadof3illinois 10:19 PM 08-12-2011
Well the football season is upon us once again. Some of you know I'm pretty involved in our football programs. We cook at all the Jr Pro thru High School home games. Tomorrow is our opening day for the little guys.
All our coolers are full and ready for a day of grilling. 100 pork burgers, 100 chicken breasts, 85 brats, 125 + hotdogs and 50+ ribeye steaks for sandwiches. Oh and 3-40 pound bags of charcoal. Start cooking at 3:30 and hoping to finish by 9pm. What's cool is all of our food is donated so it's a great money maker for the program.
One of these days I'll get some pictures of our outings!!
[Reply]
pnoon 10:21 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by dadof3illinois:
Well the football season is upon us once again. Some of you know I'm pretty involved in our football programs. We cook at all the Jr Pro thru High School home games. Tomorrow is our opening day for the little guys.
All our coolers are full and ready for a day of grilling. 100 pork burgers, 100 chicken breasts, 85 brats, 125 + hotdogs and 50+ ribeye steaks for sandwiches. Oh and 3-40 pound bags of charcoal. Start cooking at 3:30 and hoping to finish by 9pm. What's cool is all of our food is donated so it's a great money maker for the program.
One of these days I'll get some pictures of our outings!!
It's a good thing that you do, Jerry. :-)

Pics would be awesome.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:18 AM 08-13-2011
Originally Posted by steve:
How did those ribs turn out Brent?
The ribs turned out good:-)

Made another batch of jerky yesterday and then put on a beef clod. I cut the clod into four pieces though.... more bark!!!
[Reply]
forgop 07:08 AM 08-13-2011
I'm firing up 2 butts today with my first attempt at baked beans. Going to inject them and use a rub from the virtual weber site. My cookout is tomorrow, but I don't want to put them on and cook overnight to keep temps controlled better.

Sam's Club has a BBQ competition going on today that's only a couple of miles from me. Free samples from 11am-4pm.
[Reply]
Old Sailor 12:59 PM 08-13-2011
Did some ribs yesterday on the WSM 22.5...smoked them with apple chunks for 4 1/2hrs at about 250 and they came out awesome, everyone devoured them. I'm quiet happy with my first ribs!!
[Reply]
Steve 01:14 PM 08-13-2011
Those ribs look real good Dave! Almost makes me want to get out in the heat an do a mess up myself...almost! :-)
[Reply]
OLS 02:59 PM 08-13-2011
WOW, you SHOULD be happy with those racks. They came out looking a lot like mine, but shot under different light I am afraid.
For some reason I never remember to shoot them outside on the grill. I am always a few bones in before it hits me....CRAP, I needed
to shoot those, lol. And so with today. I gave a rack to the kid downstairs for his birthday to share with no one or everyone,
and started in on mine a few minutes ago. Then I remembered. So here is the partially eaten rack. The dogs got a rib each, too.
I decided to go off the menu today and leave them dry. Added a lot more sugar and kosher salt to my original rub. Very tasty.
The nap at the end got me, though. These are PERFECTLY tender and moist, but a tad mushy. Which I like, so no problems,
but would not win me any pro prizes. Dig that crystally crust.
Attached: 13 Aug ribs 1.jpg (111.9 KB) 13 Aug ribs 2.jpg (116.2 KB) 
[Reply]
forgop 09:39 PM 08-13-2011
My butts took 9 hours on the smoker, set them in my cooler to rest for an hour and then pulled them. By far the best butts I've ever made. I think the pulled pork will be a big hit for my get together tomorrow afternoon. Baked beans were good-don't know that I'd say they really tasted "smokey" though.
[Reply]
BigAsh 06:50 AM 08-14-2011
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
The ribs turned out good:-)

Made another batch of jerky yesterday and then put on a beef clod. I cut the clod into four pieces though.... more bark!!!
more bark = more better!....gotta do some chuckie soon!
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:10 AM 08-14-2011
Thai bbr's in the smoker. I'll let you guys know how they taste. Smoking with some pecan wood.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
tupacboy 12:13 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Thai bbr's in the smoker. I'll let you guys know how they taste. Smoking with some pecan wood.
Posted via Mobile Device

:-) looking forward to it
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:59 AM 08-15-2011
Here's the Thai BBQ baby backs. They turned out awesome.

I had to modify the recipe a bit as the store was out of cilantro, I couldn't find lemongrass and I forgot to get pineapple juice. I just omitted the cilantro, but will look into it for next time. instead of the lemon grass, I used fresh lemon juice. Just half a lemon for the marinade, then the other half for the mop. I went with extra rice wine vinegar for the mop, plus added some honey for a little more sweetness.

They were spicy, tangy, sweet. Needed just a touch more salty for my liking, but overall they were great. Served with a spicy coleslaw along side.
[Reply]
cricky101 09:46 AM 08-15-2011
Saturday I used some pulled pork I smoked a couple weeks ago and had in the freezer and made a pulled pork pizza on a stone on the Weber performer. It was awesome. A little bbq sauce, pulled pork, red onion and a mix of mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Cooked in about 8 minutes with just a little char around the bottom edges of the crust.

I made another with Canadian bacon and pineapple for the girlfriend, but the pulled pork was the best of the two.
[Reply]
OLS 10:37 AM 08-15-2011
I am always disappointed when I cook other dishes with leftover Pulled Pork. So I just eat it the regular way, haha.
Those Thai ribs look incredible! I can only imagine the flavor. My ribs from the weekend gave me terrible burps. Need to
figure that out, haha. Spent some time at Alfred's balcony on Beale St. yesterday taking pics of various Elvi out and about.
THIS is going to be one fantastic Elvis Week! The temps are not expected to rise above 93 all week. Compare at 98-100
for the last several years, maybe the last ten. Might cook uip some beef ribs this week in honor of the king.

[Reply]
tupacboy 04:25 PM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Here's the Thai BBQ baby backs. They turned out awesome.

I had to modify the recipe a bit as the store was out of cilantro, I couldn't find lemongrass and I forgot to get pineapple juice. I just omitted the cilantro, but will look into it for next time. instead of the lemon grass, I used fresh lemon juice. Just half a lemon for the marinade, then the other half for the mop. I went with extra rice wine vinegar for the mop, plus added some honey for a little more sweetness.

They were spicy, tangy, sweet. Needed just a touch more salty for my liking, but overall they were great. Served with a spicy coleslaw along side.

they look delish!!! did you have to cook them a bit longer then the recipe said?

lemon grass is pretty hard to find... gotta go to a south asian market usually.... did you add honey to the mop only or marinade too... gonna have to try this one... i usually do dry rub only but been craving a spicy sweet wet rib... that's why i looked it up... gonna fire up the smoker this weekend for this...

any other reccomendations for as sweet / spicy rib guys? i would like to try a couple while i have her going.
[Reply]
Page 130 of 270
« First < 3080120128129130 131132140180230 > Last »
Up