Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>An Uninvited Guest
Starscream 01:37 PM 07-29-2012
Look who showed up at my house today:

I'm a little bit uneasy about letting the kids out to play today, since it's hanging right above the garage door, and that's where they like to play.
Anybody have any more info on what type of bat this is? Looks like a Big Brown bat to me, which is common in NC.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:46 PM 07-29-2012
He reminds me of Kelmac but with hair :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:47 PM 07-29-2012
man that thing looks nasty.
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:02 PM 07-29-2012
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
He reminds me of Kelmac but with hair :-)
That's as wrong as two boys in bed.
[Reply]
King James 02:03 PM 07-29-2012
As far as I know, bats can carry rabies but if you don't bother the bat it likely won't bother you. If anything, bats are good to have around as they will help to take care of mosquito problems :-)
[Reply]
688sonarmen 02:37 PM 07-29-2012
I would not worry about it, we had bats in our sheds for years with no issues and it takes quite a bit to disturb them.
[Reply]
Mikepd 02:39 PM 07-29-2012
Call your local animal control if it makes you uneasy and isn't leaving.
[Reply]
Mr. Ed 02:43 PM 07-29-2012
I think it's cute!
[Reply]
Starscream 02:45 PM 07-29-2012
Originally Posted by Mikepd:
Call your local animal control if it makes you uneasy and isn't leaving.
I plan on it if it isn't gone after tomorrow. I figured with the weather change, he just didn't quite make it home last night. If he's still there tonight or in the morning, there may be a problem.
[Reply]
CigarNut 04:00 PM 07-29-2012
Originally Posted by King James:
As far as I know, bats can carry rabies but if you don't bother the bat it likely won't bother you. If anything, bats are good to have around as they will help to take care of mosquito problems :-)
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen:
I would not worry about it, we had bats in our sheds for years with no issues and it takes quite a bit to disturb them.
That's been my experience as well. :-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 04:18 PM 07-29-2012
Good advice. But I'd add: when you observe animals behaving out-of-ordinary, especially rabies-prone animals, its best to be very wary. And a bat in the open, in bright light isn't normal behavior. Definitely leave it alone.
[Reply]
Starscream 04:22 PM 07-29-2012
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Good advice. But I'd add: when you observe animals behaving out-of-ordinary, especially rabies-prone animals, its best to be very wary. And a bat in the open, in bright light isn't normal behavior. Definitely leave it alone.
Yep. I figure it's above my garage door for one of two reasons:
either the change in weather last night (quick storms rolling in and cooled off really quickly)
or it could be rabid.
If it's gone by this evening or in the morning, I'm assuming it's the change in weather and couldn't make it home. If it's still there, well...
[Reply]
OLS 04:42 PM 07-29-2012
It could also be affected by that white fungus, although it does not look like it, but it has made their behavior
very erratic, made them so agitated and nervous that they come out of their dens at the wrong times and
waste valuable energy. It could be resting and hoping for night and to be left alone to re-charge batts,
no pun intended.
[Reply]
Ogre 05:52 PM 07-29-2012
Where is Robin?????
[Reply]
cmitch 06:20 PM 07-29-2012
Wow. My Mother in law gets around!
[Reply]
markem 06:24 PM 07-29-2012
You can google "bat box" and put one up for him in a tree or on a fence post. They are flying insect feeders not usually active during the day. We have some bat boxes in the neighborhood and they seem to get used.
[Reply]
68TriShield 07:20 PM 07-29-2012
Yep,it looks like the kind of Bat that eats a few thousand insects a night :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 08:25 PM 07-29-2012
All good! The bat is gone now that it's dark.
[Reply]
Mikepd 09:35 PM 07-29-2012
Let us know if he returns in the morning.
[Reply]
Blueface 05:55 AM 07-30-2012
Holy relatives that finally left Batman!

I think he got tired of waiting for the door to the batcave to open.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up