Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>A Basic Humidor Buying Guide
pnoon 09:59 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by BnBTobacco:
In choosing humidor aside from the price its durability must be considered first.
I disagree.
I think size, compartmentalization, and ability to hold humidity are far more important than durability. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
bobarian 10:08 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by BnBTobacco:
In choosing humidor aside from the price its durability must be considered first.
Please explain. :-) Why does durability enter into the equation? :-)
[Reply]
jesseboston81 10:16 AM 02-18-2011
A good humidor needs to be able to take a beating. When I can't find the cigar I want, I toss my humidor around the room like a rag doll.
[Reply]
BnBTobacco 05:38 AM 02-27-2011
Originally Posted by jesseboston81:
A good humidor needs to be able to take a beating. When I can't find the cigar I want, I toss my humidor around the room like a rag doll.
This is where durability comes into consideration. :-)
[Reply]
Majd 11:08 PM 02-28-2011
Hi every one.
I just bought my first 75CT humidor from Thompson Cigar and I seasoned it for 2 days. However, I still have the feeling that this humidor smells wrong!! I have 5 new cigars in it for the last 3 days and I still get new wood smell or maybe wood glue smell. Is this normal, other humidors I had seen at other peoples places did smell nice cigar aroma. Would my humidor get a cigar smell with time, or did I buy a bad humidor?
[Reply]
Bill86 11:44 PM 02-28-2011
My wooden desktop smells like wood and cigars, FANTASTIC!

I would say you probably need to fill it up more. 5/75 leaves quite a bit of open space. I have a feeling once you get maybe 30-50 cigars it might smell more like cigar.

If you bought a Spanish Cedar humidor and the humidity is where it should be (60-70) then you didn't get a bad humidor.
[Reply]
T.G 12:01 AM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by Majd:
Hi every one.
I just bought my first 75CT humidor from Thompson Cigar and I seasoned it for 2 days. However, I still have the feeling that this humidor smells wrong!! I have 5 new cigars in it for the last 3 days and I still get new wood smell or maybe wood glue smell. Is this normal, other humidors I had seen at other peoples places did smell nice cigar aroma. Would my humidor get a cigar smell with time, or did I buy a bad humidor?
Which is it? Wood or wood glue?

If it's a cedar wood type smell, then it's fine. If it's a chemical glue type smell, that's not good and you should probably move your cigars to a tupperware container or a double-ziploc bag, then leave the humidor open for a few days to air out and allow the glue to dry.
[Reply]
Majd 06:07 AM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Which is it? Wood or wood glue?

If it's a cedar wood type smell, then it's fine. If it's a chemical glue type smell, that's not good and you should probably move your cigars to a tupperware container or a double-ziploc bag, then leave the humidor open for a few days to air out and allow the glue to dry.
I'm not sure exactly if it is glue smell, on a hunch I would want to say it is wood smell. But as a beginner, how can I make sure that what I paid for (Spanish cedar) is what I got, and the smell is Cedar smell?
[Reply]
T.G 08:10 AM 03-01-2011
I'm not sure exactly if it is glue smell, on a hunch I would want to say it is wood smell. But as a beginner, how can I make sure that what I paid for (Spanish cedar) is what I got, and the smell is Cedar smell?
Chances are that if you bought the humidor from Thompsons, despite all their other faults, it is most likely spanish cedar lined.

Here's a photo of what the grain of SC looks like

The wood glues you have to worry about are those with a petroleum solvent type smell, if you don't smell petroleum solvents, then it's not that or they are already dried and not an issue.

When you get a chance, please head over to the introductions and tell us a bit about yourself.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:59 AM 03-01-2011
Hi every one.
Two days is a little short for seasoning a new humidor.

Once you have determined that the smell is cedar or glue, you should season the humidor longer. Make sure that the RH in the humidor holds near where you want it to be for your cigars. Don't rely on an analog hygrometer for this.
[Reply]
Majd 09:52 AM 03-02-2011
Thank you all for your knowledge and help.
I'm thinking to switch that humidor and buy a new one (see details of the new humidor in: http://www.thompsoncigar.com/product...38/pc/8389.uts). Anyone has used this humidor or knows anything about it. Please advise if you know. Thanks
PS. the humidor Im returning / changing is this (http://www.thompsoncigar.com/product...92/pc/8389.uts)
[Reply]
marcmc8867 01:49 PM 04-05-2011
All:

I've been smoking cigars and tending to a series of various disappointing humidors for 12 years or so. I'm now looking seriously into getting something more substantial with capacity to store boxes.

I have the opportunity to buy a Liebherr XS200 for $1750. I saw all of the comments in this thread about how overpriced it was at $2500. I've also seen the comments about getting a Vinotemp and buying shelves from Chasidor...I don't know if I feell like going thru all that effort to be honest. How much can you spend via the Vinotemp/Chasidor route?

Is the Liebherr still vastly overpriced at $1750 compared to other creative solutions?

Thanks in advance
[Reply]
TheLostGringo 01:52 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by marcmc8867:
All:

I've been smoking cigars and tending to a series of various disappointing humidors for 12 years or so. I'm now looking seriously into getting something more substantial with capacity to store boxes.

I have the opportunity to buy a Liebherr XS200 for $1750. I saw all of the comments in this thread about how overpriced it was at $2500. I've also seen the comments about getting a Vinotemp and buying shelves from Chasidor...I don't know if I feell like going thru all that effort to be honest. How much can you spend via the Vinotemp/Chasidor route?

Is the Liebherr still vastly overpriced at $1750 compared to other creative solutions?

Thanks in advance
Way overpriced in my opinion.
[Reply]
bobarian 02:08 PM 04-05-2011
$1750=1.4cuft capacity, seems a bit excessive to be paying over $1k per cuft of storage. An Aristocrat end table will give you much more capacity. :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 02:15 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by marcmc8867:
IMO, yes....without a doubt, it is.
[Reply]
themachine 02:33 PM 05-30-2011
I am looking into buying a new humidor. The one I have now was a gift and is a little small and now extremely full. I was thinking about something that could hold around 300 cigars. Anyone have any suggestions or just a good place where i can get one online. I live in an area where there arent many good stores to go to and buy a humidor.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 02:41 PM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by themachine:
I am looking into buying a new humidor. The one I have now was a gift and is a little small and now extremely full. I was thinking about something that could hold around 300 cigars. Anyone have any suggestions or just a good place where i can get one online. I live in an area where there arent many good stores to go to and buy a humidor.
Remember, humidors will only hold about 2/3rds of what they say they will so I would recommend the Havana Footlocker. http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_HUM-4...mpaign=froogle

Or go effective and cheap and get a cooler. :-)
[Reply]
Drez 03:29 PM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Remember, humidors will only hold about 2/3rds of what they say they will so I would recommend the Havana Footlocker. http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_HUM-4...mpaign=froogle

+1 on the cooler. its cheaper and will last a lifetime for the most part. save the money on the humidor and spend it on some more sticks.:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 03:37 PM 05-30-2011

Originally Posted by Drez:
+1 on the cooler. its cheaper and will last a lifetime for the most part. save the money on the humidor and spend it on some more sticks.:-)
This is a particularly good idea since you already have a desktop humidor that you can leave out for display purposes, one that can hold some cigars to be ready for you at any time...
[Reply]
GolfNut 03:44 PM 05-30-2011

+3 (?) lol This is the ticket....I build humi's and this is still the best bang for the buck around!! Coolers rule!! :-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Up