Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 62 of 70
« First < 1252606162 6364 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
chestrockwell80 07:10 AM 07-29-2012
Originally Posted by steve:
Way to go Gerard! Congrats man!
Congrats Steve:-)
[Reply]
chestrockwell80 07:12 AM 07-29-2012
just noticed this thread started in 2009 lol
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 01:21 PM 07-29-2012
Today I am brewing an IPA with a new hop variety called "Zythos"
[Reply]
Salvelinus 02:48 PM 07-29-2012
I put together an amarillo and citra hopped pale yesterday. Pitched it onto a pair of S05 yeast cakes. At the rate of overpitching it should be done in about a day...
[Reply]
icantbejon 08:02 AM 07-30-2012
I brewed up a Scotch Export yesterday...high hopes for it. Had a heavy malty character to it, which is my happiness.
[Reply]
cricky101 09:19 PM 08-05-2012
Brewed a simple extract hefeweizen this afternoon. It's my first extract batch in a while and the shortened brew day was a welcome change.

Hoping for a quick ferment and then into the keg (and then into muh belly).
[Reply]
rack04 11:37 AM 08-12-2012
I'm seriously thinking about building an 120v electric boil kettle so that I can brew indoors during the summer. I just can't get motivated to brew in 110 degree heat.
[Reply]
Salvelinus 09:00 PM 08-12-2012
Funny, I've been thinking about doing the same because I'm not looking forward to brewing in freezing cold in a few months...
[Reply]
icantbejon 12:15 PM 08-13-2012
Originally Posted by rack04:
I'm seriously thinking about building an 120v electric boil kettle so that I can brew indoors during the summer. I just can't get motivated to brew in 110 degree heat.
Originally Posted by Salvelinus:
Funny, I've been thinking about doing the same because I'm not looking forward to brewing in freezing cold in a few months...
I am in the exact same boat...I'm so tired of brewing in the extreme conditions. It would be nice to sit in my temp controlled smoking lounge, plug in a box and brew the day away. I've actually started a bit down this path, with the intent of going 10 gls. I need to get one more keg, to cut into a keggle, then it's on.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 12:21 PM 08-13-2012
Sometimes its nice to just do 5gl Extract brews on the stove top when weather is bad and you "need" to brew
[Reply]
icantbejon 12:22 PM 08-13-2012
My cherry wheat and honey wheat placed poorly in the Dominion Cup. I had low expectations on my CW, but felt pretty confident with the HW. Apparently my HW would have done better in a different category...judges recommended the Belgian Wheat versus the Amer Wheat I put it in. Got 24s on both of them....boo. I guess next year I'll have to submit something I actually want them to try as opposed to just submitting what I had in the keg.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 07:52 AM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
I've actually started a bit down this path, with the intent of going 10 gls. I need to get one more keg, to cut into a keggle, then it's on.
I have that half-barrel AB keg sitting in my brewhouse, not sure if I'm ever going down the 10 gallon path. Maybe we can work out a deal. Do you know anyone with a plasma cutter?

Don't beat yourself up over your Dominion Cup results. It was your first comp, and this year's event was huge. 520+ entries, that's almost as big as one of the regional qualifiers for Nationals. Lots of high quality entries, too, I think everyone was vying for the Best of Show award: having their recipe brewed by Hardywood for entry in the GABF Pro-Am. Pretty sweet deal.

I'm pleased with my results, had 5 entries that I thought were strong contenders and 2 "experimental" brews that the judges didn't like at all. The maibock (which won a silver in Delaware) and a rauchbier both scored in the high 30s, but didn’t place; a Cream Ale (41) and my Bell's Two-Hearted IPA clone (40) both took Honorable Mention. I'm really pumped about my rosemary honey saison--Bronze medal in the Fruit/Spice category with 41 points. :-) I got the recipe from a guy in the club, and he entered his version as a Belgian Specialty and also scored a Bronze.

When beers scoring 40 points don't even place, you know it's a tough competition.
[Reply]
icantbejon 01:43 PM 08-14-2012
I'm not to upset about my scores....clearly I would like to have done better, but who wouldn't? My two submissions were "fly by the seat of my pants" submissions. I had no plans to submit anything until you and Matt bullied me into it. Jerks.
[Reply]
icantbejon 12:38 PM 09-07-2012
Did we all stop brewing? So quiet in here! I got a kolsch fermenting currently, but I feel like it's "off" somehow. I haven't gotten one bubble from my airlock over the course of a week. Pressure has built up in the bucket, so I know something is happening...but probably not as aggressively as I'm used to. Gonna take a gravity reading tonight and see where it is as I'm supposed to rack it tomorrow.
[Reply]
363 12:41 PM 09-07-2012
Me and a buddy are going to try our hands at brewing some Oktoberfest in a week or so
[Reply]
icantbejon 12:45 PM 09-07-2012
I'm still hoping my Oktoberfest turns out ok....so many problems happened with that brew that I'm worried. Been lagering at Gerard's place for nearly a 6 wks now. I'm hoping the long lagering process will fix any potential problems.
[Reply]
363 12:46 PM 09-07-2012
this will be our second attempt at home brewing so I am hoping things turn out ok
[Reply]
icantbejon 12:48 PM 09-07-2012
My lagering cooler broke down when I put it in....so the beer was supposed to be sitting at roughly 60 degree and when I poked my head in to check on progress I found it at nearly 80. Stupid VA heat! The likelihood of off flavors seems pretty high to me at this point.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 01:39 PM 09-07-2012
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
My lagering cooler broke down when I put it in....so the beer was supposed to be sitting at roughly 60 degree and when I poked my head in to check on progress I found it at nearly 80. Stupid VA heat! The likelihood of off flavors seems pretty high to me at this point.
You want me to draw a sample & take a reading?
[Reply]
Mikes 02:17 PM 09-07-2012
Over the past 50 days I have brewed:

AHS Belgian White
AHS Demeter Fall Ale
AHS X2 chocolate Stout
Abita Purple Haze
AHS Texas Blonde w/ simco dryhop (10g)

Up next:

AHS Pumpkin
60 min IPA
[Reply]