Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Sports>NFL Commentators -
RGD. 09:15 PM 11-10-2008
Is it just me or what - Watching the Monday Night game right now and these yo-yo's are a bunch of morons. Be better if they just kept their mouths shut. And it's not just this game - seems like every year it gets worse - maybe there should be an IQ test or some damn thing before they are allowed in the booth.

Anyway - end of rant.

Ron
[Reply]
Cigary 09:39 PM 11-10-2008
I think what they are doing in the booth is all about commentary upon commentary and they don't let the game present itself as it is. I don't need to listen to these guys every second of every play,,,just present the game in it's simplest form with a few jokes and personal stories and then watch the game along with us. If there is a good play then by all means talk about it,,but if its a play that nets no yards I dont need to hear what they should have done,,,we already know.
[Reply]
jaycarla 09:56 PM 11-10-2008
To me there has never been anything as good as Madden/Summerall. That was the best.

I will say there are a few good teams now though:
Nantz/Simms
Enberg/Cross
Buck/Aikman

Other than that, it is a real hit or miss. There is no doubt much more bad teams working games than good.

What ever happened to Don Criqui? I like him too.
[Reply]
Bigwaved 10:03 PM 11-10-2008
most of the people who "call" the games today are knuckleheads in my opinion
[Reply]
Scottw 10:11 PM 11-10-2008
:-):-)
Originally Posted by Bigwaved:
most of the people who "call" the games today are knuckleheads in my opinion

[Reply]
jitzy 10:19 PM 11-10-2008
Tony Kornhowser is one of the most annoying people I've ever listened to
[Reply]
pnoon 10:23 PM 11-10-2008
Originally Posted by jaycarla:
To me there has never been anything as good as Madden/Summerall. That was the best.

Nantz/Simms
Enberg/Cross
Buck/Aikman

Other than that, it is a real hit or miss. There is no doubt much more bad teams working games than good.

Jay,
I agree Aikman/Buck is a decent team.
Enberg is on the decline.

Phil Simms is the absolute worst announcer on the effing planet. The guy suffers from diarrhea of the mouth and adds no useful content whatsoever. Thank goodness you're yankin' my chain on that pair.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:26 PM 11-10-2008
Originally Posted by jitzy:
True. He is even more annoying than Phil Simms. And that's damn near fooking impossible.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 10:28 PM 11-10-2008
Simms and Greise (Griese?) are terrible. They spend the whole game reminding you that they were God incarnate when they played, and whoever is playing QB for the teams they're covering should have stayed in bed that day
[Reply]
Starchild 04:47 AM 11-11-2008

Yes he is. He seems to spend the whole game trying to fit in the little comments and aencdotes that he spent the whole week writing. Everything he says sounds rehersed. Drives me nuts.
[Reply]
Vitis 09:02 AM 11-11-2008
Kornhowser is terrible. Forces me to watch the game on "mute"

~Vitis
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 09:09 AM 11-11-2008
I liked him on PTI, but I can't stand him on Monday nights.

Bob Costas and Tim McCarver are on my all-time worst!!
Daryll "Moose" Johnston is horible as well.

Aikman/Buck = pretty good!
[Reply]
chippewastud79 09:17 AM 11-11-2008
Nothing is as bad as listening to Madden now. I could get by without a Hall of Famer who circles butt-sweat and grass stuck in a helmet and tells viewers "thats how you know they are playing hard". Also, he makes so many wrong calls or misses things on every play, like mis-identifying penalties or plays. He is just too old and out of touch with the game. :-)
[Reply]
jaycarla 10:53 AM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Jay,
I agree Aikman/Buck is a decent team.
Enberg is on the decline.

Phil Simms is the absolute worst announcer on the effing planet. The guy suffers from diarrhea of the mouth and adds no useful content whatsoever. Thank goodness you're yankin' my chain on that pair.
While I agree Simms could use some help, he gets a pass because Nantz is pretty damn good.

Honestly though, the announcing team doesn't really mean a whole lot to me. It is secondary to the game, and by secondary I mean it is about a 90/10 split.

I would still take Dennis Miller any day, he at least was funny half the time and didn't say the same chit over, and over, and over. Ala Madden.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 10:58 AM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by pnoon:
True. He is even more annoying than Phil Simms. And that's damn near fooking impossible.

I'm still debating if he is any worse than that jackass Dennis whatever from a year or so ago on MNF. But, I do agree that he burns me like jalapeņos on hemorrhoids.

All of the BS in the last few years has driven me away.
MNF used to mean more to me than religion or sex. Not any more.:-)

Now I'll only watch it if it is my Broncos beating up on some poor team like Peter's Chargers!:-)
[Reply]
pnoon 11:04 AM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu:
Now I'll only watch it if it is my Broncos beating up on some poor team like Peter's Chargers!:-)
It's a good thing you're a Liverpool supporter or I'd have to ban your donkey lovin' ass. :-)

Broncos? Sheesh. Moral dilemma - who to root against when the Broncos play the Raiders.
[Reply]
jitzy 11:11 AM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro:
I liked him on PTI, but I can't stand him on Monday nights.

Bob Costas and Tim McCarver are on my all-time worst!!
Daryll "Moose" Johnston is horible as well.

And what really kills me is he too is a skins fan :-)
[Reply]
Gophernut 11:19 AM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro:
I lost any good feelings I had towards Buck when he went way over the top on his criticism of Randy Moss "fake mooning" the Lambeau crowd a couple years ago in the playoffs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dmqGg6Ccvw
[Reply]
King James 11:59 AM 11-11-2008
always have and will like madden since he makes me feel like I'm more knowledgeable about the game. Kornholer on MNF sucks, Jaws is okay and Tirico I'm indifferent about
[Reply]
Whee 03:16 PM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by jaycarla:

Nantz/Simms
Enberg/Cross
Buck/Aikman

Can't deal with Simms ego and Buck pretty much ruined baseball on TV for me.

Miss the Madden/Summerall days.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up