Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Looking for some help with a humi
Wharf Rat 12:01 PM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by IrishBoi:
Sorry its been a couple of days, been slammed at work. I'm almost sold on the cigar oasis. Here is a question though. Has anyone used an "old school" hygrometer in unison with something like the govee? can this be done or is it better to have one or the other. I really only want to have to do this once. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Any hygrometer is measuring relative humidity so, “in theory” you should be able to use different hygrometers side by side. But, in the real world, all hygrometers have inaccuracies. For example, the govee is rated at +/- 3 percentage points. So, two hygrometers sitting next to each other aren’t always going to read exactly the same, even if you calibrate them. Then, you’re gonna have to start a new thread asking which one is right. So, I would choose one, calibrate it and get used to which reading makes your cigars smoke happy.
[Reply]
IrishBoi 10:57 PM 08-15-2020
I feel like Im choosing between the light and dark side now! Do I take the blue or red pill?
[Reply]
IrishBoi 11:02 PM 08-15-2020
I think Im going to order both the giver and the cigar oasis. Calibrate them at the same time and see what happens Worst is I save one for the next him that comes along
[Reply]
IrishBoi 11:32 AM 08-16-2020
Anyone have any suggestions as to where to order cigars from. I know Im going to have to keep this thing stocked. Im looking at either Thompson or Corona. Im thinking in order to bulk up the bottom Ill just order some seconds just for mass to start with. Then ill most likely order 10-15 5 packs. Until I build another collection. Just wondering if there are any other good sites out there.
[Reply]
longknocker 12:06 PM 08-16-2020
Anyone have any suggestions as to where to order cigars from. I know Im going to have to keep this thing stocked. Im looking at either Thompson or Corona. Im thinking in order to bulk up the bottom Ill just order some seconds just for mass to start with. Then ill most likely order 10-15 5 packs. Until I build another collection. Just wondering if there are any other good sites out there.
Not Thompson! Atlantic Cigars Aways Have Good Prices & Great Customer Service. Also A Sticky Somewhere In The Forum For Suggested Cigar Sites.:-):-)
[Reply]
IrishBoi 06:33 PM 08-16-2020
Sorry wasn't aware there was a sticky Ill check it out
[Reply]
markem 07:34 PM 08-16-2020
The sticky is at this link: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1612

Vendors come and go and also get better or worse over time. Posting in that thread about who is a good source now, esp w/ covid, would be most useful.

One thing that I will point out about cigars and hygrometers. It isn't that your cigars *must* be at some RH. Instead, you want to know at what RH, as displayed on your hygrometer(s), do your cigars smoke best at. It's all about personal preference and many have great advice, but in the end, you are going to be the one smoking them.

Hygrometers are a bit like watches. If you only have one watch, you always know what time it is. If you have more than one watch, you never know what time it is.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:03 AM 08-17-2020
Mr. Mark is wise. :-)
[Reply]
IrishBoi 01:10 PM 08-17-2020
RH? Relative Humidity?
[Reply]
icehog3 01:12 PM 08-17-2020
RH? Relative Humidity?
Correct Sir.
[Reply]
IrishBoi 08:42 PM 08-17-2020
Ok, So I stumbled upon the Boveda Butler today. Anyone have any experience or inside info on these. I like the fact that I would be able to use the same company for hygrometer and packs. They also make nice cedar holders for the packs. Im hoping you guys don't give em bad news lol
[Reply]
longknocker 05:31 AM 08-18-2020
Ok, So I stumbled upon the Boveda Butler today. Anyone have any experience or inside info on these. I like the fact that I would be able to use the same company for hygrometer and packs. They also make nice cedar holders for the packs. Im hoping you guys don't give em bad news lol
https://cigarsdaily.com/product-cate...sories/page/2/
I've purchased A Boveda Butler From This Company Along With Some Fairly Decent $8.99 Hygrometers that are Pre-Set. I've Been Happy With Both.:-)
[Reply]
longknocker 05:35 AM 08-18-2020
Eric: I Use Boveda Packs For All My Cigars. I Recommend Either 65% Or 69%. Chances Are Your RH In Your Humidor May Run At That RH Or 1-2 Points Below It.
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:28 AM 08-18-2020
I am admittedly biased, but I prefer beads over Boveda packs. The Boveda packs work fine, but since they are preset they are less flexible than beads. Just my :-)
[Reply]
IrishBoi 12:03 PM 08-18-2020
OK so Im going to ask this...Im fairly certain that the first post will be "there's a sticky for that" lol. Im not sure I understand the difference between the packs and beads. These are both new concepts since I was last in the lifestyle. What info is there out there regarding the 2?
[Reply]
jledou 12:33 PM 08-18-2020
My understanding, the Boveda type packs are membranes and gel set to absorb or give off humidity at a set %. Michael please correct me but the beads (clay/ceramic type) are set to a porous structure to hold moisture and help maintain release into the closed environment.

I use a combo of the two. I use the packs to supply the water and I have trays and contains of beads in alternating areas of the humidor to help balance humidity through out.

Nice thing is with the combo of the two, I have not used a hydrometer for years. When the Boveda packs start to get dry I switch them out with a recharged set and I am good to go for another 4-6 months.
[Reply]
IrishBoi 12:38 PM 08-18-2020
Jay, is there any way you could send me a couple of pics of how the humi is set up? Im just wondering how you do it and if it would work for my set up.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:20 PM 08-18-2020
Additionally, the beads can absorb as well as release moisture. This keeps your RH in the humidor where you want it even when the humidity outside the humidor is higher.
[Reply]
longknocker 02:23 PM 08-18-2020
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Additionally, the beads can absorb as well as release moisture. This keeps your RH in the humidor where you want it even when the humidity outside the humidor is higher.
The Boveda Packs Do The Same, Admiral. I Just Couldn't Keep My RH Steady With The Beads.:-)
[Reply]
IrishBoi 03:48 PM 08-18-2020
So it is common to use beads and packs together? Also I have no idea what count my humi is. How do I know what to start with? For example one pack and 1 canister of beads, 2 and 2.......
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up