Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Palio Cutter: Wood Finish
itzfrank 12:22 PM 10-10-2010
So I recently got tired of having my $3 cutter ruin the ends of my cigars and leaving tobacco bits all in my grill after a good smoke -- It's not a good look for me. Anyways, this has probably been done before but it inspired me to write a review on the accessory after only my first cut with it.

I purchased mine from a fellow BOTL on here: CigarNut. It was sold to me brand new. I believe the prices on these range from $30-$50 depending on the finish that you pick up.

The one that I'm reviewing is the Brown Wood Finish.

This cutter comes with it's own black case that has "Palio" pressed into the side of it. The case itself seems to be made quite well and fits the cutter like a glove. There's not a lot of room inside for anything other then the cutter itself so it won't move around inside the casing.

Upon removing the cutter from it's case, you immediately notice the weight of this cutter. In comparison to the cheapies that I've owned, it's probably 3 times the weight. You can feel the quality of the materials that have been used and you can't find a weak spot on the thing. The body doesn't bend or give in any way and upon inspection you notice that the two pieces that make this cutter are fitted perfectly together. There's no space between the two at all.
The cutter comes with a hand signed card that shows the date of inspection and the signature of the person who inspected it. It also tells you about the materials used and what Palio is all about. It's a nice touch.

Sliding the cutter open and closed you feel how smooth it is. It doesn't swing open and closed loosely. You can feel how well it's constructed. Even while it's completely open, there's no give or flex in the cutter. The track that it slides on is reinforced quite well.

I'm not sure if they did this on purpose or not, I'm assuming that they might have, but there's a groove on each side of the cutter. It appears that they've even given you a place to rest your cigar comfortably without having to worry about balancing or the wind taking it away. I always did this with the lighters that I have. You can also see how thick the cutter is from this angle.

I can't speak about how this cutter will hold up over it's lifetime since I just got mine. However, even for the $50 premium I found these online for, I'd say it's completely worth the investment and you won't regret making it.

:-)Frank
[Reply]
maverickdrinker 12:29 PM 10-10-2010
These are great cutters. I have 3 of them. Just a beautiful design and a perfect cut everytime
[Reply]
Powers 12:35 PM 10-10-2010
I love my Palio! Probably the best $40 bucks i've ever spent.

Thanks for the review :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 12:46 PM 10-10-2010
Yeah those wood ones go for around $47. I paid that for my carbon fiber palio....worth every penny.
[Reply]
MiamiE 12:46 PM 10-10-2010
I have the black one and it's the best $35 I've ever spent. I just hope they last a long while!
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:12 PM 10-10-2010
I love my Burlwood Palio...but have been using my Black Palio recently. Not a better cutter out there!! :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:19 PM 10-10-2010
I love my Palio. I bought mine from Mark over at Cigarmony. Best cutter out there for sure.
[Reply]
MiamiE 01:39 PM 10-10-2010
Anyone know how long these usually last before going dull or breaking under normal use?
[Reply]
stewshi 03:04 PM 10-10-2010
Don't they have lifetime warranty including blade sharpening?
[Reply]
14holestogie 03:05 PM 10-10-2010
Originally Posted by stewshi:
Don't they have lifetime warranty including blade sharpening?
Yuppers. :-)
[Reply]
poker 08:48 AM 10-13-2010
Originally Posted by MiamiE:
Anyone know how long these usually last before going dull or breaking under normal use?
I have one of the originals from before BOTL took ownership. Dont know the exact age, but probably close to 10+ years old. Still sharp and cuts without flaw.
[Reply]
Nefari0us 08:53 AM 10-13-2010
Very nice! I think I might have to pick one of these up now
[Reply]
MiamiE 10:36 AM 10-13-2010
Originally Posted by poker:
I have one of the originals from before BOTL took ownership. Dont know the exact age, but probably close to 10+ years old. Still sharp and cuts without flaw.
Thanks!
[Reply]
Louistogies 11:27 AM 10-13-2010
Just did a trade from one. I'm stoked.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 11:54 AM 10-13-2010
Originally Posted by poker:
:-) Just cut a cigar with mine, worked perfect. Do you remember who A & C were?
[Reply]
Lear31MX 11:57 AM 10-13-2010
I have the same wood one thanks to CasaDooly!!! Love it, see you to night kevin! oh yeah our stuff came today
[Reply]
gorob23 12:02 PM 10-13-2010
Originally Posted by maverickdrinker:
These are great cutters. I have 3 of them. Just a beautiful design and a perfect cut everytime
I have about 10 ( thank you allan and Mark) and while the cutters are top of the line the guy in charge of them I have my doubts about :-)

Rob :-)
[Reply]
pektel 12:09 PM 10-13-2010
I REALLY want one of these. Gonna pull the trigger soon. I've started using punches exclusively because my cutters SUCK. 1 CI freebie, and 2 from the local B&M. One I paid 1.50 for, the other was 3.99. You can guess the quality of those.
[Reply]
Stevez 01:15 PM 10-13-2010
Just received the wood finish Palio after reading all the praise here. I've used it 10 or so times and I can see why all the hype. I prefer it over my Xicar's for sure. Came with a nice little cigar stand that is useful. Steve
[Reply]
bishjd123 01:27 PM 10-13-2010
I picked up my Burlwood finish cutter a couple of months ago. All I can say is that it's one awesome cutter.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up