Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Cugine by Arganese - Torpedo
sevans105 11:02 AM 11-03-2011
Ok gonna try a review of this thing. Never done one before.

Cugine by Arganese Torpedo
6 3/4 by 57 according to my gauge
Connecticut Wrapper...Double Band

Water to drink

Pre-light - serious dried fruit. Want to say apricots. sweet with a bit of tart.

Initial light...no harsh initial burn. very smooth. Still a bit of fruit flavors, but also some cream and light tobacco flavors. Tons of very white smoke.

First 1/3 Most of the initial flavors are gone. Not a ton of flavor left. Very even burn, nice solid white ash. Lots of smoke. Bit of a citrus flavor on the aftertaste. Honestly, It reminds me of the smoke that would come off of the orange tree leaves that I would burn in Arizona. Not awesome. Not bad, per se, but not awesome. The aftertaste really lingers too, even after drinking water.

Ok, burning orange leaves flavor is leaving…whew. Now changing up a bit. Unfortunately, it isn’t really a good change up. Kind of chemically now. Not really enjoying this stick very much, but I’ll muddle through it. Did a major PURGE (yes with a lighter..pretty colors). Better now. About half way point.

From a visual standpoint, this is a beautiful stick. Perfect wrapper, great draw, I like the size (fat torpedo) and tons and tons of thick white smoke. Nice slow burn too.

Purging seems to be the key to this stick. I’m purging every two or three draws now. The draw right after the purge is very nice. Light leather with a bit of nutmeg. If the whole stick was like this, it would be great. Very faint citrus still present.

I’m into this about an hour now. Light purge with almost every draw. If I don’t, the chemical flavors build up. (no lighters though) It’s a decent stick, but making me work for it.

Better flavors now as it approaches the final 1/3. Orange is gone, deeper leather flavors. The chemical flavor is still there, but in the way background now. Not having to purge it quite so much. Dried fruit flavors are back. Dark cherry…applewood. Reminds me of smoking pork ribs on the grill. Very nice draw still and lots of smoke. Wow. If this was the whole stick, I’d buy all I could find. I’m really glad I toughed it out. Solid ash..zero burn issues. Very clean burn.
Spices are building as it moves toward the end. Light pepper flavor towards the back of my throat. Bit of a nicotine tingle on the sides of my tongue. Cinnamon and apple wood flavors are strengthening. Chemical flavor is gone. As is the orange. Not purging at all now.

Total burn time 1 hour 35 min.
Would I buy this again? Not sure. Need to try another one before I judge. Based on this burn, probably not. Although I really enjoyed the last third, it was a lot of work to get there. Frankly, I’m too lazy to work this hard for a cigar. If the whole thing would have been like the last half then YES. The applewood smoke flavors were pretty unique and very enjoyable.

Over all, I’d rank this as a mild/medium smoke.
[Reply]
irratebass 11:13 AM 11-03-2011
:-) nice review, I have one of these resting in my humi....don't know when I'll get to it.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 11:15 AM 11-03-2011
Great job Scott.
Nice to see that the suffering payed off in the end:-)
[Reply]
Crownedone 07:34 AM 11-04-2011
Cool, I have always got some of the Arganese line in my humidor. But I have never seen these before. I am going to have to fined some. thanks for the review.
[Reply]
Up