Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Vega Fina Belicoso
Don Fernando 09:36 PM 10-13-2011
These cigars, made by Tabacalera de Garcia for Altadis, are new on the Dutch market and are the only non Cuban cigar imported by Cubacigar Benelux. A friend gave me this cigar to try, normally I wouldn't have bought it due to the Connecticut shade wrapper, I don't like Connecticut. The filler is a blend of Colombian, Honduran and Dominican tobacco and the cigar has an Indonesian binder. This torpedo I smoked measures 6x50.

The cigar feels a bit soft but consistent soft all over the cigar. The light colored wrapper isn't oily and I see a few thin veins. The cigar hardly has any smell. The predraw is tight and I taste some pepper with tobacco. I do dig the simple yet elegant band.

I instantly taste the musty Connecticut shade taste and some soft wood. After half an inch I taste musty wood with some chocolate. The chocolate disappears again after a third, when the flavors are dry, mild musty. The main flavor is sweet wood.

Halfway I taste some chocolate again, but only in the aftertaste, with some cumin but that could be because I ate some cumin at my dinner. After two thirds I taste nuts with some salt. I think I recognize cashew nuts with herbs and wood. There is pepper in the aftertaste.

This cigar lasted me an hour and a half. The draw was hard and probably because of that tight draw I didn't get a lot of smoke. The silver gray ash is pretty and firm. The burn is good. This cigar is mild to medium flavored and mild bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Nah, it's not a bad cigar but it has two downsides, it's too mild for me and again, I don't like Connecticut.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
Silound 09:55 AM 10-15-2011
I might suggest you try the corona size (if it's available) in the Vega Fina blend. According to the rep I used to talk to, of all 8 sizes they produce, the Lonsdale and Corona are the best selling ones. Personally, I like the corona with a cup of coffee every now and then.

Unfortunately, they're all mild as can be.
[Reply]
Up