Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Project of the Day: Rose Box
shilala 06:42 PM 01-18-2014
Forgot this pic.
It's the box base. It's giving me a little grief because the bit is too short and my dust boot is binding up. I'll need to take it off and restart to finish the last pass. I'm at line 137867.
Remember that for me, I'll forget it before morning comes. :-)

[Reply]
shilala 06:18 AM 01-25-2014
A couple update pics...
I've been shaping the pieces. It's a huge amount of pain in the ass. I initially started shaping and sanding each piece, then realized I'd need to tweak them as I did the next pieces, so I quit sanding until I get them all shaped.
They're looking pretty good.
Once I'm done shaping the rose parts, I need to go to work on cleaning up the base. It's got a big flare on the bottom because I don't have a 1/4" endmill that was long enough to reach through my base material. So I used a 1/2" ballnose and tore the dust foot off the machine and threw chips all over the world. The shop is still a mess.

That's about it. Lots of shaping and sanding coming up. Fun stuff.
Here's a few pics. A couple of the rose pieces and a pic of the screwed up base and poorly fitting top that needs a lot of work, too.

[Reply]
stearns 06:23 AM 01-25-2014
beautiful work scott :-)
[Reply]
shilala 05:38 PM 01-25-2014
It ain't nothin yet, Ben. The rose pieces I sanded really look great. I'm excited to get them all done, but I can't seem to get any time in the shop. Tomorrow's not looking good, either.
Soon I'll make some headway. It'd help if Bubs doesn't eat any more pieces, too.
[Reply]
shilala 01:13 PM 03-21-2014
Okay, so this is finally a wrap.
I took sucky pics, but I'm not charging you guys, so you can't really b1tch.

[Reply]
Dave128 01:18 PM 03-21-2014
That looks awesome! :-)
[Reply]
stearns 01:25 PM 03-21-2014
absolutely beautiful. again you've outdone yourself :-)
[Reply]
big_jaygee 01:52 PM 03-21-2014
That is beautiful Scott, great job :-)
[Reply]
shilala 02:06 PM 03-21-2014
Thanks, guys. :-)
It really looks totally different in person, and it's really, really big. It looks small in the pictures. At least it does to me.

I'm very close to building my first humidor. Someone was trying to talk me into it earlier in the week and I relented. They've messed around too long now, and my desire to build something that someone else wants has waned dramatically.
So I think I'll bang one out the way I like it, and see what shakes out.

It won't really be the first humidor I've ever built, I've made lots. But this will be the first in what I hope becomes a long line or artwork/heirloom/masterpiece humidors, the likes of which nobody has ever seen. :-)
[Reply]
stearns 02:25 PM 03-21-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
the likes of which nobody has ever seen. :-)
your big thoughts scare idealists world round
[Reply]
shilala 03:55 PM 03-21-2014
I just finished modeling a Cohiba sign, Ben. It's freakin SICK.
I sure hope it doesn't turn into a cribbage board when I'm grinding it out.
[Reply]
CigarNut 05:15 PM 03-21-2014
Awesome workmanship, Scott!
[Reply]
GWN 05:22 PM 03-21-2014
Beautiful work Scott.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 06:41 PM 03-21-2014
Scott can you do Deez? :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12