Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
All Cigar Discussion>Are these fake??
Volusianator 03:03 AM 04-07-2012
Originally Posted by Drkns:
I bought some cigars today but I am fairly sure they might be fakes.

Thanks for your replies.
Nope, they are real cigars.
[Reply]
BMack 03:20 AM 04-07-2012
I know this thread is getting longer than it should be but I am thinking of asking the shop to show me boxes. What do you think I should look or note or does it make any difference?
Use cubancigarwebsite for your reference and check to see if the right seals(sizes as well as makings are correct). You could also check with habanos.com to verify the serial number(if applicable). There will be an "authenticity check" button on the top of the site.

Generally though, if you don't have absolute trust in your sources I would generally consider them to be fakes...there are just soo many fakes out there and soo many ways to fake them. Some weasel can easily buy a box of real cigars, switch the bands and put them back in the box...now he has the real cigars and some trusting BOTL has an expensive box of dog rockets.
[Reply]
Drkns 10:05 AM 04-07-2012
Today I smoked maduro 5 and it was genuine alright. After 4 hrs I still has the taste and it was long filler definitely. I am going to ask the seller if they can get a box of double corona 2003 and will have the box code etc. to share with you all. Thanks. As I mentioned earlier habanos does not exist in Turkey but the place I am buying is in an upscale mall with lots of real liquor etc.
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 10:35 AM 04-07-2012
Don't mind me, I'm just here to contribute boobs.

[Reply]
pnoon 10:37 AM 04-07-2012
There are plenty of banter threads to threadjack on.
Let's try and keep a cigar thread on topic.
[Reply]
Reaver2145 11:19 AM 04-07-2012
But cigars and boobs go soo well together.

And on topic is it just me or dose the band on the LE03 look a little washed out compared to the maduro5 to me the yellow looks a shade or two lighter and the gold duller.

But that might just be the iphone.
[Reply]
CigarGuy88 11:30 AM 04-07-2012
I'm saying fake on both of them based on the loops in the "C" in cuba touching (usually a dead giveaway. Also the wrappers look insanely dark on and a bit too even for me. When somethin don't smell right it usually isnt.
[Reply]
akumushi 01:14 PM 04-07-2012
I personally wouldn't buy a Cohiba EL 2003 DC anywhere but a reputable, licensed habanos dealer like an LCDH. It is quite possibly the most frequently faked cuban cigar, and the likelihood that you found a great deal on them is nill. If someone has the legitimate thing, why would they sell it for 50-70% below market value? :-)
If the price was right and you enjoyed the cigar, well I guess that's all that matters.
[Reply]
Drkns 01:33 PM 04-07-2012
I didn't smoke DC 2003 Limited edition yet and I think it is fake since I smoked two boxes in 2003 when my father brought 4 boxes of it from Cuba as a Turkish Tobacco monopoly board member back then. They were awesome. These are fake but darn good ones that surprises me that's all. Pictures are lousy at best, wrapper colors and band colors are bang on so is size measures. I am also suspicious about the thickness of black line above and the emboss of the word cohiba is irregular on the band. I was not after a deal but saw them in bunch of other Cuban cigars at the tobacco shop. As I mentioned earlier Maduro 5 was genuine and I think they are mixing fakes with real ones.
[Reply]
BMack 05:38 PM 04-07-2012
I might be stepping out of my place here but I personally wouldn't be willing to support any shop selling cigars they know are fakes.
[Reply]
akumushi 06:22 PM 04-07-2012
I didn't smoke DC 2003 Limited edition yet and I think it is fake since I smoked two boxes in 2003 when my father brought 4 boxes of it from Cuba as a Turkish Tobacco monopoly board member back then. They were awesome. These are fake but darn good ones that surprises me that's all. Pictures are lousy at best, wrapper colors and band colors are bang on so is size measures. I am also suspicious about the thickness of black line above and the emboss of the word cohiba is irregular on the band. I was not after a deal but saw them in bunch of other Cuban cigars at the tobacco shop. As I mentioned earlier Maduro 5 was genuine and I think they are mixing fakes with real ones.
This would not surprise me in the least. If that's the only source you have, I would stick to unpopular vitolas in the lesser known marcas (the less likely to be counterfeited) and then scrutinize everything I did buy. I do tend to agree with the sentiment of not supporting anybody selling fakes, but it sounds like that might be the only option for the OP, if so best of luck.
:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 06:24 PM 04-07-2012
Originally Posted by akumushi:
I personally wouldn't buy a Cohiba EL 2003 DC anywhere but a reputable, licensed habanos dealer like an LCDH.
As I mentioned earlier habanos does not exist in Turkey but the place I am buying is in an upscale mall with lots of real liquor etc.
They have real liquor, so they must be reputable. :-)
[Reply]
Drkns 05:08 AM 04-08-2012
Haha sure real liquor does not make one place reputable. :-) Cigar sales are only allowed in touristic hotels in Turkey. There is an import ban on all kinds of cigars. For example no American cigars none even fakes cannot be found if there are any. Lousy Turkish made cigars are every where. I bought cubans from this place and their cohiba robustos and partagas lines are real but these were new. I was surprised seeing DC 2003 LE. The seller assured he is buying from a legit source but sellers assurance does not make one reputable either :-) I will stick to less popular brands and sizes since there is only two shops in Capital city that's all. You guys are lucky.
[Reply]
Drkns 05:26 AM 04-08-2012
I don't think shop owner does it deliberately. As I said its an upscale neighborhood and he cannot survive once it is proven he sell fakes.
[Reply]
forgop 06:32 AM 04-08-2012
I don't think shop owner does it deliberately. As I said its an upscale neighborhood and he cannot survive once it is proven he sell fakes.
Well, he either purchases from a LCDH or he doesn't. If he's purchasing from anywhere else and they're not authentic, it seems pretty deliberate to me. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 11:54 AM 04-08-2012
Originally Posted by forgop:
Well, he either purchases from a LCDH or he doesn't. If he's purchasing from anywhere else and they're not authentic, it seems pretty deliberate to me. :-)
??? This is a complete fabrication. There are many sources of legitimate Cuban cigars that are not official LCDH's. If you have no direct knowledge it is best to remain silent. :-)
[Reply]
Drkns 12:43 PM 04-08-2012
Today I went there and asked for the box of DC 2003 EL and they will get it ready for me. I will know since I still have an original box. According to his story, a tour operator to Cuba is bringing cigars using his customers 50 cigar permit. If one to come from another country can bring in 50 cigars with him according to Turkish customs rule as personal item. That is how I get my American cigars. My friends from states bring in 2 boxes every time they visit me. I told him my friends find it extremely hard to believe that Cohiba 2003 DC EL is real. We will see. My intention was not to start an argument but there are legit cigars even in Turkey and no LCDH.
[Reply]
BMack 05:55 PM 04-08-2012
How bad are the penalties if customs finds cigars in a package? I'd rather go that route than buy somewhere you're unsure of...I think that's about as much as I can say in an open forum.

There HAS to be better ways to get you cigars then risking you spending your money on fakes.
[Reply]
awsmith4 08:36 PM 04-08-2012
I don't know much about Turkey but a quick Google search shows and LCDH in Bucharest. Even if that is a good ways from you maybe they ship
[Reply]
Drkns 01:33 AM 04-09-2012
Every small and personal cargo is subject to x-ray screening and once they discover that there are cigars in it, they call you and ask to open the box and viola. They either trash all the cigars and destroy them by crushing and give you the empty box and have to pay a small fee or if you can convince them that there is a mistake then they ship the cargo back to the sender. We are under a strick regime now. The only way to bring in cigars is if one to visit another country and at his return back to Turkey he can carry 50 cigars as personal item, other than that few shops like this sells cigars.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up