Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Humi Question
systm 10:48 PM 04-22-2012
First off i've been gone for a bit and while I was mostly a lurker, I just want to say hi all.

I've neglected my humidors for awhile.. life got in the way and the upkeep of them kind of got pushed into the back of my mind. I want to say it's been around ~6 months since i've actually checked and added distilled water until about a weeks ago. I don't know what the humidity of humi's were, but I want to know what kind of damage could I expect for my cigars that were drying out and how long it should take for them to be back to "normal." I have a "30" count and a "300" count. Any help and tips would be appreciated.

systm
[Reply]
icehog3 12:00 AM 04-23-2012
After six months, the cigars may never be the same. If they dried out completely for 6 months, they may have lost much of their flavor. Not to say they can't be brought back to a "smokable" condition, but chances are they will never be the same (flavor wise).

If the Spanish cedar in your humidor dried out to a large extent, it may be necessary to reseason your humidor before it will properly hold humidity again.
[Reply]
levrac68 12:13 AM 04-23-2012
Welcome Back...

I would say you need to start from scratch and re-season both humidors and re-inspect the seals. You'd have to remove your current stash and thoroughly check them for cracks/mold/bugs then put what may be salvageable into plastic bags or tupperware so you can slowly introduce humidity to them over a period of time. As stated above, you may have lost some flavor, but its worth a shot. Don't rush the process and check out the sticky post on how to season your humidor for best results.

I just went through the same thing a few months back and if you're patient, you may be able to save your sticks and bring your humidors back to fine working order.

Good Luck...
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 01:11 AM 04-23-2012
I agree. start from scratch. It will ultimately be better for your humidor and future cigars.
[Reply]
systm 07:58 AM 04-23-2012
Thanks guys. I'll check it out!
[Reply]
Dickard 06:01 AM 04-25-2012
Dont feel too bad, you have some company. I did the same thing this past winter. Sad too because there were some really nice cigars in it. I took my dry sticks to my local B&M to get their opinion and they were convinced that while they were indeed dry, they could be re-hydrated and be just fine.

I re-seasoned the humidor and bought some new sticks for it, all is well there.

So I searched the internet and the consensus is that yes they can be rescued and smoked but they will definitely not be the same. From what I have read, once the cigars dry out, the oils in the tobacco will be lost forever and the cigars will have lost much of their character.

I decided to put my cigars in ziplock baggies with Boveda packs and let them sit for a couple months, I figure what the hell, its either that or toss them in a fire and enjoy the aroma. Which still may happen.

I actually smoked an Oliva Cain 550 habano after about 3 weeks of healing just to see how it smoked. It wasnt so bad that I had to snuff it out, but it was not normal.

Time will tell I guess, but I have a feeling that all of those sticks are shot. Oh well, life lesson, learn from it and move on.
[Reply]
systm 09:07 AM 04-25-2012
I don't feel too bad, more disappointed that some of the "HTF" sticks that I had gotten a hold of now are no good. And you're right, worst case is I can smoke them after a few months and see how that work out.

Although on the bright side, one of the B&M/Lounges near me sell WOAM for almost half of what I had paid for them is kind of awesome.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 09:08 AM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by systm:
Although on the bright side, one of the B&M/Lounges near me sell WOAM for almost half of what I had paid for them is kind of awesome.
Those are awesome sticks! :-)
[Reply]
Up