Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>High Humidity With Boveda
RobR1205 12:05 PM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
I didn't think you were being rude.

Glad to hear that you were able to work something out with Famous, they're a good operation, they really do try to keep the importance of the customer in mind.

FYI, the boveda packs are rechargeable, so now that you have the 65% packs, you're set. If you ever go to beads, then you can always use a 65% pack in a traveldor for an extended trip to a dry climate.

To recharge the pack, simply take a medium sized tupperware container, put the spent pack at one end, put a small ramekin or shot glass of distilled water at the other and seal the tupperware. Check on the pack once every 7-10 days, at which point I change the water out. Depending on how dry the pack is, you will eventually notice that the pack will expand back to it's original (or larger) size as it absorbs moisture from the air. It works better if you don't allow the pack to completely dry out, but even if you do that, they will still recharge, but it will take a long time.

Double ziploc bag the recharged pack and store in the humidor/cooler until needed.

I've been recharging the same 4 or 5 packs for at least 7 years now.
MIND BLOWN! Had no idea you could do that! Thanks! :-):-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 01:56 PM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
...FYI, the boveda packs are rechargeable, so now that you have the 65% packs, you're set. If you ever go to beads, then you can always use a 65% pack in a traveldor for an extended trip to a dry climate.

To recharge the pack, simply take a medium sized tupperware container, put the spent pack at one end, put a small ramekin or shot glass of distilled water at the other and seal the tupperware. Check on the pack once every 7-10 days, at which point I change the water out. Depending on how dry the pack is, you will eventually notice that the pack will expand back to it's original (or larger) size as it absorbs moisture from the air. It works better if you don't allow the pack to completely dry out, but even if you do that, they will still recharge, but it will take a long time.

Double ziploc bag the recharged pack and store in the humidor/cooler until needed.

I've been recharging the same 4 or 5 packs for at least 7 years now.
One thing I have noticed is that the recharged Boveda packs can be slightly off on RH (a point or two higher or lower). At first I thought it was my hygrometers, but it's definately the packs. It could be due to how many times I have recharged them; I do not know for sure. I did contact Boveda when I first noticed this (a while ago) and they told me that recharging was not recommended or supported :-)

For the most part this is not a problem for me, just wanted to share...
[Reply]
hotreds 02:11 PM 10-24-2012
I too, was surprised that I could recharge these- and I do so. Works better on the bigger ones, but also on the smaller ones. Does take a while- I have a tupperware container with a glass of distilled water and I throw my Bovedas in there when they get hard. I also sometiems sprtiz the sides of said container with distilled water- this does seem to speed up the process somewhat. But, in fact, you could make do with a set of Bovedas for a long while. They also begin to look ragged, but who cares?
[Reply]
bobarian 03:34 PM 10-24-2012
I recharge using a sponge I dampen with distilled water. This prevents spilling the water out of the container. Just moisten and put in the tupperware with the Boveda on the other side. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 03:35 PM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
One thing I have noticed is that the recharged Boveda packs can be slightly off on RH (a point or two higher or lower). At first I thought it was my hygrometers, but it's definately the packs. It could be due to how many times I have recharged them; I do not know for sure. I did contact Boveda when I first noticed this (a while ago) and they told me that recharging was not recommended or supported :-)

Aren't boveda packs +/- 2 anyway, even when new?
[Reply]
hotreds 03:43 PM 10-24-2012
What's a coupla degrees among friends, anyway? Life is +/-2 also!
[Reply]
mkarnold1 03:44 PM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I recharge using a sponge I dampen with distilled water. This prevents spilling the water out of the container. Just moisten and put in the tupperware with the Boveda on the other side. :-)
+1, I think the increased surface area of the sponge speeds up the recharging process.
[Reply]
iaMkcK 04:37 PM 10-24-2012
Sounds good. Just glad all is not lost. Get 9 65% packs and donate to a good cause. Well worth the $75. :-)
[Reply]
omowasu 05:53 PM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:

I use 69% Boveda packets and 65% beads, and almost always get RH right at 67%. They balance each other out quite nicely. I too have recharged the packets regularly, works great, I use the distilled water and sponge method.
[Reply]
bobarian 07:14 PM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by omowasu:
I use 69% Boveda packets and 65% beads, and almost always get RH right at 67%. They balance each other out quite nicely. I too have recharged the packets regularly, works great, I use the distilled water and sponge method.
67% only occurs by accident. It has been stated many times that Rh devices do not average out. The Boveda will release Rh and be absorbed by the beads until they are saturated. :-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 07:18 PM 10-24-2012
67% only occurs by accident. It has been stated many times that Rh devices do not average out. The Boveda will release Rh and be absorbed by the beads until they are saturated. :-)
Well, at equilibrium, the RH is probably 69% real close to that packet and 65% near the other. Somewhere between the two, it might really be 67% :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 07:40 PM 10-24-2012
This Is What I Do, Also.:-):-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up