Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>High Humidity With Boveda
iaMkcK 10:30 AM 10-24-2012
For the past week or so, I've been running 2 72% Boveda packets and they have been dead on @ 72%.. The temperature has been around 75F around the cigars.. Came home this morning to a temperature drop to 58F degrees -- and a RH of 75%.. I aired it out and placed it in a warmer area.. How much of an effect will this have on my cigars? Shall I just dry box em before smoking or have I done some harm here?

Thanks, any help is appreciated/needed..

EDIT :: Been doing some reading on RH.. And I feel a bit stupid now. Lovely. Whatever, feel free to comment regardless! :-D
[Reply]
dave 10:40 AM 10-24-2012
Ok, based on your edit, I'll put the smartass comments about running mold experiments.....

But, just for humor's sake, here's a bit more reading, if you haven't come across it yet:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ht=temperature

Oh...and once you do get it where you want it, don't sweat a couple RH points from day to day. You'll live longer.
[Reply]
T.G 10:41 AM 10-24-2012
Just being at 72% is going to give you problems down the line. Bad burn, tight draws, sour tasting cigars, mold...

Going from 72% to 75% for a few hours probably isn't going to do anything to make it worse.
[Reply]
iaMkcK 10:50 AM 10-24-2012
Well.. I have a box of 72% and a box of 69%.. I've yet to crack any of the 69%.. What do you feel I should do -- instead of wasting 4 perfectly good 72% packs? Just keep them in the general container but not the humidors? I'd hate to toss all the 72% ones..
[Reply]
T.G 10:56 AM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by iaMkcK:
Well.. I have a box of 72% and a box of 69%.. I've yet to crack any of the 69%.. What do you feel I should do -- instead of wasting 4 perfectly good 72% packs? Just keep them in the general container but not the humidors? I'd hate to toss all the 72% ones..

I don't understand what you mean by the text highlighted in red.

Even 69% is high. You'll find a lot more flavor and less problems with your cigars when kept in the 60%-65% range. So as for the packs, I'd save them for seasoning a humidor or something and just get beads from either Cigarnut @ HCMbeads.com (user adjustable RH set point) or the 65% beads from heartfeltindustries.com
[Reply]
iaMkcK 10:59 AM 10-24-2012
Say I have a cooler for the time being as opposed to a wineador: Should I put the 72% packets inside the cooler and put the 69% inside the actual cedar boxes -- That's what I meant.
[Reply]
T.G 11:02 AM 10-24-2012
No need for that. If the boxes are in a humidified environment, the humidity will get through them to the cigars.
[Reply]
iaMkcK 11:07 AM 10-24-2012
So.. Toss the 72% and don't even use the 69% for a grand total of $70 wasted?.. Interesting.
[Reply]
lenguamor 11:11 AM 10-24-2012
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=618
[Reply]
T.G 11:15 AM 10-24-2012
So.. Toss the 72% and don't even use the 69% for a grand total of $70 wasted?.. Interesting.
Can you return the unopened ones?
[Reply]
iaMkcK 11:16 AM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Can you return them?
The 72% would have been returnable -- they were from Amazon.com -- but they've been opened.

The 69% -- unopened.. CigarMonster -- So.. Non-returnable.. :-(
[Reply]
pnoon 11:17 AM 10-24-2012
I don't believe that is what he said.

This is a good reason why folks should read older threads. Tons of good and cost saving information. (Yes, I understand that you likely purchased the Boveda packs prior to joining. But there is much for new and old members alike to learn)
[Reply]
363 11:18 AM 10-24-2012
The 72% would have been returnable -- they were from Amazon.com -- but they've been opened.

The 69% -- unopened.. CigarMonster -- So.. Non-returnable.. :-(
Save em and use em for when you send sticks :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 11:19 AM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by 363:
Save em and use em for when you send sticks :-)
Or pass them along to Hugh or Scott for shipments to the troops overseas.
[Reply]
iaMkcK 11:22 AM 10-24-2012
Yeah.. I purchased the packs before joining.. And trust me, I use the Search function more often than I post. I wasn't being rude to him or anything like that.. I'm just now realizing I bought a bunch of useless items and that is always hard to cope with. If you could, please send me a pm for the address to donate these for the troop packages.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:28 AM 10-24-2012
Yeah.. I purchased the packs before joining.. And trust me, I use the Search function more often than I post. I wasn't being rude to him or anything like that.. I'm just now realizing I bought a bunch of useless items and that is always hard to cope with. If you could, please send me a pm for the address to donate these for the troop packages.
Shoot a PM to Hugh (hotreds) or Scott (shilala). If you don't hear back from them promptly, I will PM you their addresses this evening.
[Reply]
iaMkcK 11:37 AM 10-24-2012
Right on. Before the suggestion of donating, I e-mailed Famous-Smoke and they will take back the un-opened 12 and send me 9 65%'s.. And I still got 8 unopened and 4 opened 72%'s.. So I will donate those. Again, sorry if I came off rude T.G -- your input is invaluable. As was everyone else's -- Thanka!
[Reply]
pnoon 11:40 AM 10-24-2012
Right on. Before the suggestion of donating, I e-mailed Famous-Smoke and they will take back the un-opened 12 and send me 9 65%'s.. And I still got 8 unopened and 4 opened 72%'s.. So I will donate those. Again, sorry if I came off rude T.G -- your input is invaluable. As was everyone else's -- Thanka!
:-)
[Reply]
T.G 11:52 AM 10-24-2012
I didn't think you were being rude.

Glad to hear that you were able to work something out with Famous, they're a good operation, they really do try to keep the importance of the customer in mind.

FYI, the boveda packs are rechargeable, so now that you have the 65% packs, you're set. If you ever go to beads, then you can always use a 65% pack in a traveldor for an extended trip to a dry climate.

To recharge the pack, simply take a medium sized tupperware container, put the spent pack at one end, put a small ramekin or shot glass of distilled water at the other and seal the tupperware. Check on the pack once every 7-10 days, at which point I change the water out. Depending on how dry the pack is, you will eventually notice that the pack will expand back to it's original (or larger) size as it absorbs moisture from the air. It works better if you don't allow the pack to completely dry out, but even if you do that, they will still recharge, but it will take a long time.

Double ziploc bag the recharged pack and store in the humidor/cooler until needed.

I've been recharging the same 4 or 5 packs for at least 7 years now.
[Reply]
iaMkcK 12:02 PM 10-24-2012
Nice. Yeah, I didn't mean to completely blow past the beads suggestion.. Just at the small amount of cigars I plan on having this year, this is the easiest solution. Thanks for the recharging tip as well, I had heard people mention that which added to the allure.

I appreciate all the input. Soon I'll have a Whynter 28S so I can keep the temps proper.. Living in the desert with 115 degree summers and 30 degree winters can hurt a stick, I imagine ;-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up