Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Question about humdification.
MagicDrop 09:42 PM 08-05-2015
I have a small desk top glass top humidor with the gel crystals and it just doesn't do the job. I know glass tops leak but its summer time in NY and I can only get it to about 66% with a small cup of solution inside with it.
I am redoing much of my house and just bought a table top display humidor and 1/2 pound of heartfelt beads. My plan was to open the plastic thing you get with the humidor and dump some beads in peace on 3rd shelf. Put a good amount in a women's stocking and leave under bottom shelf. Take what little I have left over as a 1/2 pound is good for 5400 or so cubic inches and the humidor is 3500 or so and replace the gel I have in my small box.
Did I just throw money away on these beads?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:20 PM 08-05-2015
66% is perfect. The closer to 70 you get, you lose flavor, imo. I've always kept mine around 60-62%. Flavor "pops" more. Oh, and don't use the solution, it will just clog up your humidification media. The crystals are already treated with it anyway.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:46 PM 08-05-2015
NCRadioMan (Greg) is wise.......
[Reply]
MagicDrop 04:42 AM 08-06-2015
Thank you for the info. But are the beads a good product for my new humidor? I don't like the sponge ones because I have never been able to get those to regulate anywhere near 65-75. They are always low (50) or over the top high.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:19 AM 08-06-2015
When I started out I used to go with a higher humidity and found I was always relighting my cigars (yes I was doing it wrong), lower humidity seems to give me a better burn as well, I keep my cabinet set at 62.5

I'd also invest a couple bucks in some food safe silicon, get the orderless, then just seal the glass around the edges (inside) of the small humidor, that should help and you might just find someday you need the extra space. :-)

Originally Posted by MagicDrop:
Thank you for the info. But are the beads a good product for my new humidor? I don't like the sponge ones because I have never been able to get those to regulate anywhere near 65-75. They are always low (50) or over the top high.
Yes beads are the way to go. I even have a couple pounds in my Aristocrat.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:34 AM 08-06-2015
RH much over 70% is not good. Makes your cigars much more susceptible to mold and crappy burns.
[Reply]
T.G 08:41 AM 08-06-2015
Beads work great. I have many pounds of them spread between various humidors, coolers & sealed tubs. The RH is very stable and very quick to recover even after I've had a humidor et. al. open for an extended period.

Foam is crap unless you like farming mold.
[Reply]
shilala 09:32 AM 08-06-2015
I wonder if ants like humidor mold?
Cause a guy could just throw an any farm in there with the mold farm and create a really sick symbiotic ecosystem. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 01:26 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by shilala:
I wonder if ants like humidor mold?
Cause a guy could just throw an any farm in there with the mold farm and create a really sick symbiotic ecosystem. :-)
[Reply]
Brlesq 01:46 PM 08-06-2015
62% to 65% for all my humidors (depending on type of cigar in each). Doesn't sound like you have a problem at all!
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 03:35 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by T.G:
because THAT'S how you get ants....

:-)
[Reply]
shilala 04:23 PM 08-06-2015
[Reply]
MagicDrop 05:49 PM 08-06-2015
Thanks guys. Well 66 is what I'm getting in the summer winter is much lower. Like 61% and I find 65-70 to be where I enjoy the smoke most. But I also have the gel and a cup of PG solution. I don't like having the cup of sitting pg I would assume that's asking for mold. I also already siliconed the glass top and it helped a ton.
[Reply]
dmiller662 08:33 AM 02-02-2016
Toss the beads..... Use Boveda paks
[Reply]
icehog3 08:43 AM 02-02-2016
From what I read, he never got the beads, still using gel and PG as of 8/15.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:43 AM 02-02-2016
Thanks guys. Well 66 is what I'm getting in the summer winter is much lower. Like 61% and I find 65-70 to be where I enjoy the smoke most. But I also have the gel and a cup of PG solution. I don't like having the cup of sitting pg I would assume that's asking for mold. I also already siliconed the glass top and it helped a ton.
I think Beads (both Heartfelt and HCM) work great! PG solution and Gel, on the other hand, not so much as they do not regulate humidity; they simply release moisture which often results in mold. I would toss the PG solution.

In any case, as long as your cigars are smoking well and not get moldy, I would not worry about it too much.

Originally Posted by dmiller662:
Boveda packs work fine, too, but there is no reason to "toss the beads".
[Reply]
T.G 10:01 AM 02-02-2016

The OP hasn't logged on in 5 months. Maybe you can try calling him or send him a snapchat with this valuable information.
[Reply]
dmiller662 10:31 AM 02-02-2016
Originally Posted by T.G:
The OP hasn't logged on in 5 months. Maybe you can try calling him or send him a snapchat with this valuable information.
always seems to be at least one person showing the buttocks on any given forum.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:02 AM 02-02-2016
always seems to be at least one person showing the buttocks on any given forum.
Exactly!
[Reply]
icehog3 01:29 PM 02-02-2016
Let's all breathe deeply and smoke a nice ceegar. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up