Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Xikar Cutter cleaning tips?
TripleF 08:24 PM 06-23-2009
I have a Xi2 Xikar Cutter. Seems to be a little sluggish and the blade is kinda dirty.

Any tips to correct these problems?

Thanks! :-)
[Reply]
Tenor CS 08:30 PM 06-23-2009
I'll be the first of many to say it ... send it back. That's what the warranty is for.

But on a more immediate note, I've found that a Q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol can help clear some debris.
[Reply]
dubnick 08:45 PM 06-23-2009
I use alcohol towelettes
[Reply]
markem 08:50 PM 06-23-2009
I just use dish soap. Get it wet and lathered up, rinse and dry. Mine works like new.
[Reply]
larryinlc 08:53 PM 06-23-2009
I pull the handles off...they seem to only be pressure fit. If they're glued on, they're not glued very strongly. Anyway, after I remove the handles, I wash the cutter in warm water and dish soap. After dried, I install the handles and I'm good to go. Will it rust over time?? Perhaps, but it's only a tool and it'll give me an excuse to buy another one.:-)

Larry
[Reply]
DougBushBC 09:09 PM 06-23-2009
I heard the best way to clean a Xixar is to return it and get a Palio.
[Reply]
markem 09:11 PM 06-23-2009
Originally Posted by DougBushBC:
No need to start bashing people's cutters.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:30 PM 06-23-2009
Originally Posted by markem:
:-)
[Reply]
ChasDen 09:35 PM 06-23-2009
Have to admit, I own both. I just got the Black Xikar Xi Cutter about a month or so ago. Its starting to "catch" or "stick" when you try to unlatch it about every 10th or so use. It also feels "sloppy" like its not as tight as it was when I got it. I paid full retail for it at a local B&M (trying to keep the good guys in business too). The owner said bring it back and he will swap it out and take care of the return for me, so I know it will get taken care of, but I have had the Palio for over a year and its like the day I bought it. Both are great cutters out of the box, so hopefully the new one will be better and it was just a fluke.

Chas

[Reply]
huero71 09:36 PM 06-23-2009
Originally Posted by Tenor CS:
I'll be the first of many to say it ... send it back. That's what the warranty is for.

But on a more immediate note, I've found that a Q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol can help clear some debris.
[Reply]
DougBushBC 09:50 PM 06-23-2009
Originally Posted by markem:
Relax, I'm just giving Scott a hard time, no one can take a joke?
[Reply]
Waynegro1 10:05 PM 06-23-2009
Originally Posted by dubnick:
I use alcohol towelettes
[Reply]
groogs 10:54 PM 06-23-2009
Originally Posted by Tenor CS:
:-) I always use a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:57 PM 06-23-2009
Relax, I'm just giving Scott a hard time, no one can take a joke?
And we would know you're joking how?

It is abundantly clear that folks here can take a joke. What wasn't clear is that you were joking.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:56 PM 06-23-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
And we would know you're joking how?

It is abundantly clear that folks here can take a joke. What wasn't clear is that you were joking.
:-) Usually jokes include a :-)

I also just use soap and water. Works great!
[Reply]
Tenor CS 04:23 AM 06-24-2009
On another note, I have used several Xikar cutters. I myself have 2 Xi2's, one in grey, one in red. I find that the Xi2's seem to be made more cheaply than the ones with wood or metal handles. Catfish has a Xi3 in the cool "spectra" (shimmery purple metal) finish. You can tell when you hold it that it's a solidly engineered piece of work. My Xi2's definitely feel more flimsy. There seems to be more play or wiggle room on the Xi2's. That might account for debris collecting in it, or it feeling "sluggish."
[Reply]
marge796 05:12 AM 06-24-2009
Oh snap!!!!

Chris.....
[Reply]
TripleF 06:17 AM 06-24-2009
That did it.....

I started to clean it with rubbing alcohol, THEN I pulled on one of the sides and it came apart. Thankfully I caught the little spring before I lost it forever.

I'm leaving in one week and was hoping to take this cutter with me. Dang it.
[Reply]
BamBam 06:31 AM 06-24-2009
Originally Posted by dubnick:
I use alcohol towelettes
:-) Works like a charm.
[Reply]
Tenor CS 02:05 PM 06-24-2009
Originally Posted by TripleF:
I'm leaving in one week and was hoping to take this cutter with me. Dang it.
I have an extra if you want to borrow it for your trip. Just let me know.

(notice how I will sneakily get Scott's address this way hee hee)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up