Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>A flame of choice.
Jimbo14 02:01 AM 03-25-2009
I am in the market for a new lighter. I have been using a lighter with a jet flame. However I have come to the conclusion that I much prefer to use a wind proof flame instead.

I find with the Jet flame (even when using the lighter far away) I burn the tobbacco too much and the flame is too intense. I much prefer to light with a wind proof flame as I find I can touch up the cigar more efficiently and I get a perfect light from the start.

Does anyone else prefer a wind proof flame over a Jet flame, or am I just a nut case?
[Reply]
Raralith 09:15 AM 03-25-2009
I prefer a jet flame from my Ronson.

You just need to remember where the hottest part of the flame is. If I remember correctly, right above the blue where it looks colorless is the hottest part so if you feel your lighter is burning too hot, move it farther away.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 09:21 AM 03-25-2009
I love my Ronson. Well it is really my 3rd but the other 2 were taken at airports. It was cheap, I fill it with cheap fuel, and it works.
[Reply]
ZenSilk 09:23 AM 03-25-2009
I use a soft flame butane lighter that actually came in a gift set i got from an online hookah vendor. I didn't know how well the performed until last week, and now I have 3 of them.

I have noticed with the jet flame that I have a deficiency and absolutely, for the life of me, can't light a stick without burning the foot to a crisp.

But if I'm inside, I always go with a match.
[Reply]
shvictor 10:34 AM 03-25-2009
Love my Ronson. I also have a Coleman one i use too.
[Reply]
KidRock 11:02 AM 03-25-2009
Vector lighters are awesome. The only time there not awesome is when they go into a fire pit and blow up.
[Reply]
wshan 07:36 PM 03-25-2009
Originally Posted by KidRock:
Vector lighters are awesome. The only time there not awesome is when they go into a fire pit and blow up.
But even then the explosion must have been pretty awesome.
[Reply]
eber 07:43 PM 03-25-2009
for a soft flame wind proof lighter I would suggest the Xikar EX, I dont personally own one but I have heard great things about them. I use a Colibri belicoso flint dual flame lighter I have had no problems with it and you can get them cheap on fleabay
[Reply]
ucla695 08:41 PM 03-25-2009
I prefer the Dupont Xtend and the Blazer PB-207. They hold up very well! :-)
[Reply]
Jimbo14 09:18 PM 03-25-2009
Originally Posted by eber:
for a soft flame wind proof lighter I would suggest the Xikar EX, I dont personally own one but I have heard great things about them. I use a Colibri belicoso flint dual flame lighter I have had no problems with it and you can get them cheap on fleabay
Thats exactly what I was looking at purchasing.
[Reply]
pmp 11:23 AM 03-26-2009
I like both. They do take different techniques but you will get the hang of it. Indoors I will always opt for soft flame. Jet flame is easy to screw up but once you get the hang of it there is no better way in cold nasty weather IMO.
[Reply]
Pat1075 12:33 PM 03-26-2009
+1 on xikar ex for softflame windproof
[Reply]
Cigary 05:19 PM 03-26-2009
Another vote for Ronson,,,get lighter and lights all the time and for $3,,,,perfecto. I have my other top of the line lighters as well but for the money and security,,,I use Ronson every day.
[Reply]
Smoke Naked 06:11 PM 03-26-2009
+1 for ronson. wife sent it through laundry and 10 minutes of drier still going strong.Even if its not used all the time, its nice to have a cheapy around that is reliable.
[Reply]
shortstory5 07:55 PM 03-29-2009
I use the Xikar EX soft-flame butane lighter to light my cigars, but I use a colibri torch to touch up while smoking.
[Reply]
Boobar 08:11 AM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by ucla695:
Blazer PB-207.
Got one of these for Christmas and it is by far the best lighter that I have ever used. You can light a ton of cigars before it needs to be refilled. You just have to be careful when lighting that you keep the lighter far enough away from the cigar, it has a long reaching flame.
[Reply]
Prozac_Puros 11:09 AM 04-01-2009
I have two of the Xikar EXII Havana lighters, got them both at Heartfelt.
[Reply]
billyrayvalentin 11:38 AM 04-01-2009
Got two ronson's myself. Both of them wouldn't light every time at first, but after a short while that problem just went away. Now they light up every time and I don't have to refill them often at all. Guess they just needed a little breaking in.

Does anybody here use an ever torch dual flame lighter?
[Reply]
duckmanco 02:10 PM 04-01-2009
I feel the same way as the OP, maybe its just me and all mental, but no matter how far away I move the foot from the torch, it still just doesn't taste the same way as using a soft flame. For some reason, the soft flame short puffs burst with flavor and always remain cool. The torch is great for lighting the entire foot without puffing, but I have grown to enjoy taking small draws from a short flame...... the search continues for a cheap/reliable/ butane soft flame lighter.
[Reply]
jquirit 02:14 PM 04-01-2009
As everybody at the Stumptown herf can attest to, my Ronson JetLite lighter has survived abuse and get passed around all-night for lighting and touch-ups. Sucker is durable, burns almost anything, and is cheap.

Toasting a cigar with the JetLite takes a bit of trickery holding it far enough away. Don't wanna dump it right in the flame. Also holding the lighter vertical and the cigar at a 45-ish degree angle over the flame does help.

Good luck with your lighter search. Like cigars and cutters, it's all about personal preference and comfort. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up