Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Xikar Vs Palio
TRicker 05:30 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
oh boy, here we go again!

I own both, bought my xikar first and used it for several months. loved it! the only problem was that I didnt like the little hump it left where the blades met.

I havent used it once since I bought my palio... the thing is like a lazer.

I used a friends brand new xikar the other day, and now I remember why mine is collecting dust in my golf bag

Xikar for looks, palio for cuts
A Friends!!!:-)
[Reply]
MikeyC 05:34 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by TRicker:
A Friends!!!:-)
Did you lose your Palio again? :-)
[Reply]
TRicker 05:42 PM 03-02-2009
Nah its my work cutter, was getting pretty bad so I swapped it out at Azon. Moe got to make the second cut with it.
[Reply]
Waynegro1 05:43 PM 03-02-2009
Oh NO, it's starting.:-):-)
I have both and love both. That's just the way I roll. :-)
[Reply]
SeanGAR 05:55 PM 03-02-2009
Who needs a cigar cutter when you can cut the thing with your swiss army blade? Seriously, I have a Palio I never use and have had punches, Havanas, Xikars etc. A small blade like this beats them all.

[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 06:02 PM 03-02-2009
Have never really liked my palio. It's almost always left a rough cut. Since there aren't too many authorized retailers, I'm stuck sending it in to one on my dime. Just haven't been in a rush to do so as having to pay for shipping for something that's never really been right doesn't exactly light a fire under my butt to get it done. My old club stogie single blade nearly always gives a superior cut to my palio.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:10 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Have never really liked my palio. It's almost always left a rough cut. Since there aren't too many authorized retailers, I'm stuck sending it in to one on my dime. Just haven't been in a rush to do so as having to pay for shipping for something that's never really been right doesn't exactly light a fire under my butt to get it done. My old club stogie single blade nearly always gives a superior cut to my palio.
I had similar issues until I was counseled by a wise FOG.

Make sure you pay attention to your cut. Apply sliight downward pressure toward the head of the cigar for a razor sharp cut.

I had the same issue you did David. The rough cut I was getting was due to pulling away from the cigar as the cut was being made.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 06:15 PM 03-02-2009
To each his own... I had a Palio and sent it to a BOTL. It just didn't fit my big fat fingers I guess. I love my couple of Xikars!!! They work great for me every time.
[Reply]
rizzle 06:33 PM 03-02-2009
Don't own a Palio, but I have used one a few times so I can compare them. The Palio does make a good cut but it feels cheap.

The "ridge"...NCRadioMan told me how to use the Xikar properly, haven't had a "ridge" since that PM. And it looks cool as hell in blue aluminum.

:-):-)
[Reply]
357 06:42 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by rizzle:
Don't own a Palio, but I have used one a few times so I can compare them. The Palio does make a good cut but it feels cheap.

The "ridge"...NCRadioMan told me how to use the Xikar properly, haven't had a "ridge" since that PM. And it looks cool as hell in blue aluminum.

:-):-)
For us Xikar owners, please let us in on the secret....

How do you avoid a ridge?
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 06:42 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I had similar issues until I was counseled by a wise FOG.

Make sure you pay attention to your cut. Apply sliight downward pressure toward the head of the cigar for a razor sharp cut.

I had the same issue you did David. The rough cut I was getting was due to pulling away from the cigar as the cut was being made.
I'll pay attention next time, but I've used a few others' palios and they cut MUCH better than mine.
[Reply]
BlackIrish 06:50 PM 03-02-2009
I have both. The Palio cuts better. It's my go-to.
[Reply]
TravelingJ 06:52 PM 03-02-2009
Could you elaborate? I have a friend that just bought a Xikar, and I'd like to give him the word on how to avoid what I hated about the Xikar.
[Reply]
rizzle 10:47 AM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by 357:
For us Xikar owners, please let us in on the secret....

How do you avoid a ridge?
Originally Posted by TravelingJ:
Could you elaborate? I have a friend that just bought a Xikar, and I'd like to give him the word on how to avoid what I hated about the Xikar.
I'll try to tell you how Greg tried to tell me...:-)
What you do is apply just a little pressure onto the head of the cigar as you start your cut and maintain that pressure as you make the cut. It doesn't take a lot, yet it is hard to tell you exactly how. After a couple of clips you'll have it though. A perferct cut with no more ridges.
:-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:06 PM 03-03-2009
I'll try to tell you how Greg tried to tell me...:-)
What you do is apply just a little pressure onto the head of the cigar as you start your cut and maintain that pressure as you make the cut. It doesn't take a lot, yet it is hard to tell you exactly how. After a couple of clips you'll have it though. A perferct cut with no more ridges.
:-)
Yep, that's the ticket! Just push down through the cigar slightly when you cut. It takes a few cigars to get the feel of it but it will eliminate the ridge. The Palio cut works the same way. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 12:10 PM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Yep, that's the ticket! Just push down through the cigar slightly when you cut. It takes a few cigars to get the feel of it but it will eliminate the ridge. The Palio cut works the same way. :-)
:-) :-)
[Reply]
FretSpot 12:24 PM 03-03-2009
Any chance someone can post a pic? I have the same problem with my Palio, but reading this description isn't making much sense to me (my wife will tell you that I'm not very bright).
[Reply]
pnoon 12:30 PM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by FretSpot:
Any chance someone can post a pic? I have the same problem with my Palio, but reading this description isn't making much sense to me (my wife will tell you that I'm not very bright).
A picture won't help much.

When you finish cutting your cigar, you pull the cutter away from the stick. If you pull away even slightly before the cut is complete, the cut will be rough. To combat this, apply gentle pressure with the cutter toward the foot. Or to think of it another way, while cutting, gently try and push the cigar thru the opening in the cutter. (Note: you don't actually want to push the cigar thru. I am just trying to illustrate what you need to do.)

Also, you can sacrifice a dog rocket or bundled smoke to practice cutting on. a 5" or 6" smoke will give you lots of practice cuts.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 12:45 PM 03-03-2009
This definitely helps me; thanks guys...I was wondering about that and I can't wait to try it.

Also wondering what's so bad about the ridge anyway?

I was always a fan of their wine: http://www.ridgewine.com/

[Reply]
357 12:46 PM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Thanks guys I can't wait to try it out.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up