Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor rehabilitation
garyatmaui 07:31 PM 04-01-2009
I have a 75 count humi that lately has not been holding its humidity. When I close the lid I don't get the familiar tension on the lid. Is there anyway to fix this or do I **** can the humi? The cigars in it seem to be dry. I have checked the hygrometer and it is correct. (salt test). It is a digital hygrometer.
It use to be my favorite humi.
[Reply]
shadow king 08:17 PM 04-01-2009
You can always try to reseason it before you make it a candy box.

The cigars may feel dry but how do they taste?

Instead of using the salt test, try using a Boevida humi pack and see if it reads what its suppsoed to inside the ziplock baggy.
[Reply]
Sailchaser 08:29 PM 04-01-2009
Originally Posted by garyatmaui:
I have a 75 count humi that lately has not been holding its humidity. When I close the lid I don't get the familiar tension on the lid. Is there anyway to fix this or do I **** can the humi? The cigars in it seem to be dry. I have checked the hygrometer and it is correct. (salt test). It is a digital hygrometer.
It use to be my favorite humi.
I had a humi that appeared to do the same thing some time ago and it turned out there was nothing wrong with the humi'
If you have not had the humi long the seasons change as well as the operation of the lids and the seals. If the humi hygrometers are correct and it's holding a level and smokes are okay leave it alone and enjoy the smokes.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 08:07 AM 04-02-2009
If you want to make the seal a little tighter you could try and do what I did to my 100 count. Take some masking tape and put it around the rim of the top lid. Worked like a charm for me. Add more layers of tape to increase the tightness.
[Reply]
garyatmaui 06:43 PM 04-02-2009
Thanks guys, decided to reseason it today. We'll see what happens in a week or so. If that doesnt work I will try the tape.
gary
[Reply]
shadow king 07:21 PM 04-02-2009
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak:
If you want to make the seal a little tighter you could try and do what I did to my 100 count. Take some masking tape and put it around the rim of the top lid. Worked like a charm for me. Add more layers of tape to increase the tightness.

Not a bad idea! :-)
[Reply]
skullnrose 07:41 PM 04-02-2009
Foam weather stripping will also work.
[Reply]
HK3- 08:24 PM 04-02-2009
I agree that sometimes it takes a good reseasoning to get the wood swollen that tiny bit to create a good seal.

Interested to see the outcome within the next week or so. Good luck brotha!
[Reply]
Up