Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Cedar tray hydration
s15driftking 06:32 AM 03-27-2009
I am supposed to recieve my custom trays from Chuck today.

I was wondering if you guys would give input as to seasoning them.

My idea was to put them in the bathroom and turn the shower all the way on (on hottt) so that the steam would season the trays... do you guys think that this is a good idea? better ideas?
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:47 AM 03-27-2009
I would just wipe them down with distilled water using a sponge.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 07:16 AM 03-27-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
:-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 07:44 AM 03-27-2009
:-) Just make sure you dont get the wood to wet. Just enough to wipe them down.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 08:17 AM 03-27-2009
:-) Yeah Bob....distilled water is key. Also, remember the old trick to save yourself the pain of having to iron your dress shirt? Just hang the shirt in a steamy bathroom? It don't work at all. And I've tried & tried & tried.

Much easier & better to wipe those suckers down with distilled water & you're good to go.
[Reply]
Hardcz 08:46 AM 03-27-2009
Originally Posted by mrreindeer:
:-) Yeah Bob....distilled water is key. Also, remember the old trick to save yourself the pain of having to iron your dress shirt? Just hang the shirt in a steamy bathroom? It don't work at all. And I've tried & tried & tried.

Much easier & better to wipe those suckers down with distilled water & you're good to go.
Works great at hotels with super heated water... just turn the shower on high, shut the door, go to dinner, come back, plenty steamy.
[Reply]
Footbag 08:53 AM 03-27-2009
I'm with these guys, but instead of a sponge, I use a cotton rag that is very very slightly damp. If you are saturating the wood, you're going too far.

I don't think storing the trays in 98% humidity 90 degrees (bathroom)would be the best idea. Not that you'll really experience any problems, but it could potentially swell the joints. Better to do it slowly.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 09:03 AM 03-27-2009
Originally Posted by Hardcz:
Works great at hotels with super heated water... just turn the shower on high, shut the door, go to dinner, come back, plenty steamy.
Dan, any tips on how to make my way through the fog and actually find the damn shirt? :-):-)

Originally Posted by Footbag:
I don't think storing the trays in 98% humidity 90 degrees (bathroom)would be the best idea.
But Bob, I hear that's a great environment for Gurkhas. :-)
[Reply]
ChasDen 09:04 AM 03-27-2009
All the cedar I use is stored in a downstairs utility room with a RH of around 60%.
I keep the wood in there at all times until it is time to cut it. I do this for several reasons.
A) I want it to be as close to its intended moisture content so it doesn’t shrink or swell too much.
B) Hopefully this lessens the seasoning time needed.

Although the trays are not wrapped in an airtight wrapper, they are wrapped up pretty good. So they should be pretty close to the moisture content we are looking for. I would suggest you only wipe them down with damp rag or sponge of distilled water. Your trays are slotted and have no tops so there will be plenty of air flow around the wood. Place them in the cooler and if needed add some extra moisture to be absorbed by the trays and beads.

Just watch it over the first week and remove the added moisture when things stabilize.

Chas
[Reply]
md4958 09:14 AM 03-27-2009
I threw my two shelves and double tray in my vino after letting it air out for a week after I got it (it smelled a little like laquer still). It dropped my RH in the vino to about 58almost overnight, but I put a bowl with a sponged soaked in distilled water in there and after a day and a half it was back up to about 64%.
[Reply]
houdini 11:16 AM 03-27-2009
I didnt do anything and my RH is ROCK solid! :-)
[Reply]
zmancbr 02:17 PM 03-27-2009
Originally Posted by houdini:
I didnt do anything and my RH is ROCK solid! :-)
Ditto.

I just tossed my shelves in and they were just fine, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you were worried anyway, then just a quick wipe with some distilled and toss them in. :-)
[Reply]
Up