Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Traditional Zippo for lighting cigars?
Darrell 09:04 AM 03-16-2009

I have heard in the past that the fluid which is put in the traditional Zippo has an effect on the taste of a cigar when it's used to light it. Is this the case? If so, why? I know it's butane and I don't understand what properties it has which cause it to make the stick taste funny as opposed to say Vector or Lava which are also butane and recommended for usage in lighters when smoking cigars.

I ask this because I've seen a lot of cigar smokers lately using a traditional Zippo and they swear it has no ill effect on the cigars flavor.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:11 AM 03-16-2009
It's not butane it's naptha. As long as you let it burn a few seconds, you can't really taste it, in my experience.
[Reply]
taltos 09:13 AM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
It's not butane it's naptha. As long as you let it burn a few seconds, you can't really taste it, in my experience.
:-) My only problem with using a traditional Zippo is that the flame tends to cook my hand by the time the cigar is lit if it is windy out.
[Reply]
RGD. 09:17 AM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Yep.

I used a regular ole Zippo all through the 70's and 80's - didn't start using butane until the 90's really. My everyday lighter though here on my desk is a standard Zippo, although I do use the newer "low odor" fuel in it.

Ron
[Reply]
Kreth 09:26 AM 03-16-2009
Just blow out through the cigar before you start smoking it. I've even used cheap Bic lighters before. You can also get a butane insert for the Zippos.
[Reply]
bazookajoe 09:32 AM 03-16-2009
I put one of the butane soft flame inserts in mine and it works just like the original - flint wheel and everything. It wasn't so much the smell of the zippo fuel, I just find the butane easier and less messy to refill.

http://www.tobacco-barn.com/p-7881-t...ector-kgm.aspx
[Reply]
Darrell 09:33 AM 03-16-2009
Thanks for the info fellas. Just to be clear, I have no interest in using a Zippo. I'm a die hard Blazer fan, I just heard it messed with the flavors so wanted to see if their was some special flavorless fluid or something.
[Reply]
RGD. 10:15 AM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Thanks for the info fellas. Just to be clear, I have no interest in using a Zippo. I'm a die hard Blazer fan, I just heard it messed with the flavors so wanted to see if their was some special flavorless fluid or something.

It's an old wives tale as far as I'm concerned. Then again if a person is one of those who can taste the seven year old burnt Madagascar vanilla deal - then I guess that same person could detect it.

Ron
[Reply]
dunng 10:35 AM 03-16-2009
Not sure... I use the Z-Plus insert so I cannot talk about the standard insert. :-)
[Reply]
doctorcue 10:40 PM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by RGD.:
Then again if a person is one of those who can taste the seven year old burnt Madagascar vanilla deal
Wait you can't??? I thought everyone could. No wonder CI wouldn't give me a RMA for all these flavored sticks I've been buying. :-)
[Reply]
BamBam 07:11 AM 03-17-2009
I have heard that the newer fluid (fluid produced after the 75th anniversary) is a new formula that is actually geared towwards the cigar smoker. It is supposed to not give the fluid taste.

I bought it and tried it a while ago and I don't remember a distinct fluid taste.
[Reply]
Nabinger16 08:46 AM 03-17-2009
The newer "Black" fluid is a low odor fluid. I've lit a few sticks with it and I've never been taste it.
[Reply]
loki 09:03 AM 03-17-2009
the new stuff is oderless i used to use it to light my pipe before i got my old boy
[Reply]
Up