Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>I need a few good hygrometers
Volt 06:36 AM 03-03-2009
OK, how hard can it really be to measure the RH of a small box. I have done the salt calibration so many times I'm sick of it. I have 4 of the small black digital ones that are sold by every body under a variety of names. I really don't care what they measure, you calibrate, mark the diff it's off, and walla, you would think your done.

So if one is 7 points off and one is 3 points off I don't care. What I do care is that they don't seem to hold to how much they are off. Of the 4, one is adjustable. That's nice, I can get it set on 70%, but again it seems like I have to calibrate every 3 months or so. The batteries all got changed out 9 months ago to eliminate that as a problem.

I am ready to spend a few $$$ on some that are maybe of a better caliber. It might be I am getting what I am not paying for. The smokes are fine, mostly because I check them a lot. I can't imagine what you guys do with more than a few hundred sticks. Any recommendations?
[Reply]
md4958 06:39 AM 03-03-2009
last time you changed the batteries was 9months ago? That might be the problem. I found my readings were a little wacky after less than 6 months. Changed the batteries and no more wackiness.
[Reply]
Volt 06:40 AM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
last time you changed the batteries was 9months ago? That might be the problem. I found my readings were a little wacky after less than 6 months. Changed the batteries and no more wackiness.
Dude your killing me.... A watch battery only good for 6 month? There has to be a better way. I'll swing by and get some, you may be right.
[Reply]
md4958 06:43 AM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by Volt:
Dude your killing me.... A watch battery only good for 6 month? There has to be a better way. I'll swing by and get some, you may be right.
Thats what I thought too, but sadly it was infact the problem. For me at least.
[Reply]
Kreth 07:38 AM 03-03-2009
Have you tried the Hygroset? They're adjustable.
[Reply]
Coz77 08:05 AM 03-03-2009
I don't even use a hydro anymore in one of 50 count desktops. I trust my beads and keep them hydrated (clear). A little squeeze test now and then confirms they are well taken care of and everything seems to be perfect. Never had a dry one.

I quit fretting over RH levels along time ago. Now I just sit back smoke and enjoy. I will say though that beads are a necessity if you use this method.
[Reply]
Volt 08:12 AM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by Coz77:
I don't even use a hydro anymore in one of 50 count desktops. I trust my beads and keep them hydrated (clear). A little squeeze test now and then confirms they are well taken care of and everything seems to be perfect. Never had a dry one.

I quit fretting over RH levels along time ago. Now I just sit back smoke and enjoy. I will say though that beads are a necessity if you use this method.
You may be the smart one here... I do trust the beads - so I may trash the junk and quite fretting.
[Reply]
Up