Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor Conversion? Just Spitballing!
s15driftking 08:37 AM 02-25-2009
Would you think this would be a neat little project to turn into a nice cab. humidor?

http://www.target.com/Wine-Cabinet-w...%3Awine&page=1

I think it would be cool to line the upper inside area with Spanish Cedar to put boxes or even a tray system. Then, you coudl make little cedar boxes to slide into the bottle spots. If you made the drawers shorter than the opening is tall you coudl still have decent circulation.

You would have to also probably drill holes from the plank in the middle down into the drawers below.

Anyhow, this might be a cool little project for all you woodworkers out there to tackle. I myself have no skills or tools whatsoever. Just an idea....

Discuss!
[Reply]
AD720 08:44 AM 02-25-2009
"Wood composite" would be a big stop sign for me. l'll go for a cabinet -> humi conversion once a find a suitable cabinet that is made of solid wood.
[Reply]
md4958 08:45 AM 02-25-2009
[Reply]
s15driftking 08:46 AM 02-25-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
"Wood composite" would be a big stop sign for me. l'll go for a cabinet -> humi conversion once a find a suitable cabinet that is made of solid wood.
i read ya, the search continues!
[Reply]
Volusianator 10:24 AM 02-25-2009
New guy here chiming in. I'm a woodworker by trade and have built several humidors from desktops to large armoires. One thing to consider in a cabinet like that is in most cases the panels on the sides are not glued in and sealed all the way around the panel. Of course any leaks in a humidor are not a good thing. Of course you could seal the panel from the inside before lining with cedar or mahogany (same thing really.) In most cases, if you have the skills and tools to "convert" a cabinet, you should have the skills to build your own. In which case, you get exactly what you want.

Look at some thrift shops, you can find some very nice restoration pieces there, antiques that are much better made and have great character. Good luck in your quest.

Wade
[Reply]
s15driftking 06:13 AM 02-27-2009
Point taken Wade,

you are very insightful, i guess i didn't look at it from that angle.

Sidenote - do you ever want to just build a crazy off the wall project humidor (I'm not asking because i want one), I just wonder in general with all you woodworkers. Do you ever see a piano and say "i'm going to turn that into a humidor"???
[Reply]
Parshooter 06:32 AM 02-27-2009
A coffin would be cool.
[Reply]
Up