Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Jbelo lighter ?
lika1 02:08 AM 02-22-2009
Has anyone heard of an Jbelo lighter? I was digging through some boxes and I found an old lighter; the inside of the top has Jbelo stamped in it. I got this lighter years ago when I was stationed in Germany and forgot all about it. I'll post pics very soon but in the mean time, if anyone has info on Jbelo it will be greatly appreciated.
[Reply]
taltos 04:40 AM 02-22-2009
Here's a little information that I was able to dig up about JBELO Lighters. The company was founded in Germany shortly after the end of World War I by Julius and Benno Lowenthal (JBELO). This company was the forerunner of Colibri which was started in 1928 in Germany as a spinoff of JBELO. In 1933 Colibri moved to London and JBELO remained in business in Germany. In 1945 after the end of World War II, the two companies started a cooperative work relationship again. JBELO was run by a Lowenthal sister after the split in 1928. An interesting note is the reason for the split was that Colibri was started to market a lighter that used a button or lever for ignition which meant that a person's thumb did not come in contact with the spark wheel. Hopefully this information will help, maybe a Google of Colibri will bring more information.
[Reply]
lika1 01:10 PM 02-22-2009
Thanks taltos; that's very interesting especially the part with the thumb not making contact with the spark or flint wheel because my Jbelo is built that way. As a matter of fact, I did look up Colibri and they have several flint lighters that's very similar in design to my Jbelo. Well here's a few pics of the lighter in question.

Yes she still works.
[Reply]
Up