Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Xikar 007,008 or 009 Cutter Opinions
Throb 03:39 PM 02-19-2009
I've been punching my cigars lately and have been enjoying the cut. I have a very cheap cutter that has rusted and become dull.

Looking for opinions of the Xikar punches. I like the 007 and 009 as they seem to be one piece units and losing the cap or cover would be impossible. I heard that one of these models also sharpens the cutter every time its extracted to retracted.

THanks for the info
[Reply]
Jimbo14 01:03 AM 02-22-2009
I have not used those punches. But the Xikar wolf (Dont know if it is still sold) is great. two size punch.
[Reply]
Throb 01:38 AM 02-22-2009
Thanks for the reply. I've seen the Wolf but I'm worried I'd lose part of it. I'm looking for something I can put on a keychain and never lose. I lost not 1 but 2 USB thumb drives. One got sent to the cleaners in a shirt and I have no idea where the other one went.

I can be terribly absent minded
[Reply]
RockonBigB 07:36 AM 02-22-2009
I have the 008 and I love it. I use it about 1/4 of the time (I also have a palio and v-cutter). The hole is a fairly large and I do believe they sharpen themselves when they close. The key ring keeps you from loosing it and although its a two piece you use the second part of the cutter to eject the plug as you close it. I picked this over the 009 because the gauge of the hole was large, other than that I like the one piece design of the 009.
[Reply]
Silound 03:53 PM 02-22-2009
The 008 series punch has a ceramic plate inside that will hone the blade every time it's screwed back together. While a novel idea, it doesn't last very long before the ceramic is worn down and it no longer sharpens the blade. I would estimate around 500-600 "open-close" routines and it stops sharpening.

The plus side is that 500-600 opens is a lot of cigars, and Xikar will fix it and sharpen it for free with about a 10 day turnaround.

Well worth the $40 MSRP.
[Reply]
Throb 10:29 PM 02-22-2009
So the 008 is the only self sharpening one? Hmmm...Might have to keep my eyes open for a sale or auction.

Thanks
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 01:03 AM 02-23-2009
I use an 008 on probably 90% of the cigars I smoke. Obviously I kind of like it. :-)

If the self sharpening feature works, it doesn't work well enough to suit me. I use a cone shaped Dremel grinding bit to keep it sharp. I sharpen it every six months or so. I just rotate the bit by hand in the punch - doesn't take long before it's better than new.
[Reply]
Silound 09:32 AM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill:
I use an 008 on probably 90% of the cigars I smoke. Obviously I kind of like it. :-)

If the self sharpening feature works, it doesn't work well enough to suit me. I use a cone shaped Dremel grinding bit to keep it sharp. I sharpen it every six months or so. I just rotate the bit by hand in the punch - doesn't take long before it's better than new.
Plate's probably worn out. I like the Dremel idea though, never thought of that.
[Reply]
pmp 02:03 PM 02-23-2009
xicars seem to dull pretty fast in my experience. I know they are supposed to self sharped but as others have mentioned this isn't really how it works. I've had better cuts lately from a 5 dollar cutter.
[Reply]
Waynegro1 04:02 PM 02-23-2009
I have the 008. I use my Xikar Xi3 and Palio the most, but I do use the 008 punch a couple times a week. With my limited use of the punch, I have NO complaints at all, it works great!!
[Reply]
ronhoffman2 06:01 PM 02-24-2009
I have the 007 and it works great. The first one i bought I put on my keychain, but it would open on it's own and the blade got ruined. with the lifetime warranty, I sent it back for "sharpening" but they sent me a new one that stays closed better than the first one did. I haven't used the others, but +1 for the 007.

I also have a Xikar Xi2, a Palio, and a Xikar Mean Sardine. I use them all about the same amount.
[Reply]
roughrider 12:07 PM 03-01-2009
008 gets my vote.
[Reply]
Up