Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>One basic question, and another on infused sticks
Sonic04GT 09:19 PM 03-02-2012
First, say you buy a single cigar and place it in a ziplock bag by itself with a hygrometer and NO humidification device. (So technically not by itself :-))

Does this hygrometer reading mean anything? I'm just curious if this is a way to gauge the humidification of a cigar. I bought an Undercrown from a local B&M, which sat in the car for about 3 hours so I threw it in a ziplock when I got home, with an extra hygrometer for the hell of it. Read around 63-65%.

Ok, onto the infused. I have a separate 50ct humidor with all of my infused smokes. Around maybe 25, with the majority being Drew Estate. I know the idea of keeping these separate from traditional smokes so the flavors don't bleed over, but what about infused sticks amongst themselves? For example, will my Drew Estate Java eventually begin to taste like the nasty Oliveros Honey Sweet crap that CI sent me in the brown bag sampler?

And since we all love pictures, here is the humidor in question :-)

[Reply]
Pseudosacred 09:25 PM 03-02-2012
If the infused ones arent in a bag, separate from each other, they will start to taste the same. It's bad. Keep them in separate bags, for sure.
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 09:28 PM 03-02-2012
If they're in separate bags though, wouldn't that defeat the point of a humidor?

A good majority have been in there since around October.
[Reply]
oooo35980 09:32 PM 03-02-2012
Logic would dictate that they'd all blend together, the question is to what degree I think, and if you'd be able to notice.

I'd say probably not, and I agree that bags would defeat the purpose of a humidor.
[Reply]
Bill86 09:35 PM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by Sonic04GT:
For example, will my Drew Estate Java eventually begin to taste like the nasty Oliveros Honey Sweet crap that CI sent me in the brown bag sampler?
If the Oliveros are so nasty and crap tasting why not just toss them out?
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 09:38 PM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
Logic would dictate that they'd all blend together, the question is to what degree I think, and if you'd be able to notice.

I'd say probably not, and I agree that bags would defeat the purpose of a humidor.
I'm probably too much of a noob to notice a difference. I guess I should just smoke them quicker haha A good majority in that pic I haven't even tried so it'd probably be a good idea before my initial opinion of a good infused stick is tainted by a less appealing one :-)

Originally Posted by Bill86:
If the Oliveros are so nasty and crap tasting why not just toss them out?
I only had that little stubby Honey Sweet and it was too sweet. I assume the other won't be too fantastic but I will definitely try it.

And ditching cigars is a sin. If anything I'd give them to a friend.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:41 PM 03-02-2012
Why not donate to the troop support? They would gladly accept them.
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 09:45 PM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Why not donate to the troop support? They would gladly accept them.
I may just end up doing that if I decide not to try them :-) Or at least put them aside until I gather more.

Had my first cigar when I was deployed :-) And I inhaled it...and I got sick...
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 09:51 PM 03-02-2012
It appears that the Drew Estate cigars are sealed in their cello. If that's correct, there shouldn't be any "flavor drift." I believe that is how they roll now a day with the Red Eye, etc.

[Reply]
Sonic04GT 09:56 PM 03-02-2012
Every single cigar is in cello. How well sealed I'm not too sure. It's been a while so I think tomorrow I'll take them all out and caress them :-)

Correction, there are two tubos with the caps off; a Wild Hare and a 1400cc.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:28 PM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by Pseudosacred:
If the infused ones arent in a bag, separate from each other, they will start to taste the same. It's bad. Keep them in separate bags, for sure.
Sorry Nick, but one month's experience in smoking cigars hardly puts you in a position to advise on this subject. :-)

Assuming you plan on smoking regularly, very little "transfer of flavors" can or will occur between your infused cigars. Especially if you leave all your cigars in their cello keeping all your infused cigars should pose no problems.

When you place infused cigars together with "regular" sticks after period of several months some of the oils may transfer, but it is much more noticeable because they had no flavors to begin with.

With regards to the first point, many of us prefer our humidity between 60-65%. Also, no hygrometer is 100% accurate, even scientific instruments have a variance of 2-4%.
[Reply]
T.G 10:45 PM 03-02-2012
Ok, onto the infused. I have a separate 50ct humidor with all of my infused smokes. Around maybe 25, with the majority being Drew Estate. I know the idea of keeping these separate from traditional smokes so the flavors don't bleed over, but what about infused sticks amongst themselves? For example, will my Drew Estate Java eventually begin to taste like the nasty Oliveros Honey Sweet crap that CI sent me in the brown bag sampler?
I've been to the Drew Estate factory, and there are three aging rooms: 1) traditional (non-infused) cigars, 2) ACIDs, and 3) coffee infused. These rooms are completely vapor sealed and have independent, sealed, HVAC systems.

Everything in the aging rooms is sans cello and, and as such, I don't know how significantly cello might retard the transfer of flavors between two dissimilar infused or flavored cigars.
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 10:48 PM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Sorry Nick, but one month's experience in smoking cigars hardly puts you in a position to advise on this subject. :-)

Assuming you plan on smoking regularly, very little "transfer of flavors" can or will occur between your infused cigars. Especially if you leave all your cigars in their cello keeping all your infused cigars should pose no problems.

When you place infused cigars together with "regular" sticks after period of several months some of the oils may transfer, but it is much more noticeable because they had no flavors to begin with.

With regards to the first point, many of us prefer our humidity between 60-65%. Also, no hygrometer is 100% accurate, even scientific instruments have a variance of 2-4%.
Thanks for the reply. I haven't smoked many infused sticks in the past 4-5 months so these have been sitting for a bit but I plan to pick up the pace soon.

As far as the hygrometer, I'm just curious if isolating a cigar in a small ziplock bag with a hygrometer will gauge it's "health?" I try to keep my actual humidors close to 65% normally. I wasn't showing concern but rather if this method is used for anything? I assume that if a cigar is properly humidified, it should give off enough humidity to display a reading within typical range.

Originally Posted by T.G:
I've been to the Drew Estate factory, and there are three aging rooms: 1) traditional (non-infused) cigars, 2) ACIDs, and 3) coffee infused. These rooms are completely vapor sealed and have independent, sealed, HVAC systems.

Everything in the aging rooms is sans cello and, and as such, I don't know how significantly cello might retard the transfer of flavors between two dissimilar infused or flavored cigars.
Interesting to know, thanks :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 10:51 PM 03-02-2012
You know, I cant really comment on the placement of a single cigar with a hygrometer. I dont look at my hygrometers regularly, in fact my 3 coolers don't even have hygrometers. I have them in both of my Vinotemps but I trust my beads. :-)
[Reply]
oooo35980 10:51 PM 03-02-2012
Maybe keeping the fruity ones and the coffee ones apart would be the smartest thing then. I can see how a kuba kuba might negatively affect a Java whereas it wouldn't have a noticeable affect on say, a Blondie, or a nasty. Not that anything could negatively affect a Nasty, you could age the thing for a year in a cat's litterbox and it would probably improve the flavor.
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 10:55 PM 03-02-2012
Man these things are a pain! Haha they're like the tasty rodents of the cigar world.

:-) Read about the Nasty in that other thread. I'll be sure to stay away.

I just need to start smoking more often, and coincidentally show some more attention to the infused smokes.
[Reply]
oooo35980 11:04 PM 03-02-2012
Personally I'd keep smoking more traditional cigars and keep those to give out to people. But I don't like infused in general, and I really hate the fruity ones.
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 11:20 PM 03-02-2012
I enjoy the majority of those I've tried :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 11:33 PM 03-02-2012
I enjoy the majority of those I've tried :-)
:-) Nothing wrong at all with Acid's. JD has made built a company on the Acid line. They are probably the single brand most requested by the Troops.
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 11:51 PM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by bobarian:

:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up