Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>GMAT: BOTL Study Group
BloodSpite 01:19 PM 03-10-2011
There seems to be quite a few of us studying for the GMAT. So I thought having a place to share websites, study material and maybe even have a online "study group" occasionally might be beneficial.

That in mind if you have questions about the GMAT, are planning to take it, are currently studying for it, or have taken it, then this thread is for you!

Here's some basic info for the thread. Others can follow suit if they like.

Seeking my Masters in Project Management. Taking my test probably June/September of this year.

Here are some of the Resources I have found online that are free and have been useful for me thus far:

Princeton Review has a online Free GMAT Practice test. It's a Demo but its not bad.
http://www.princetonreview.com/busin...tice-test.aspx

Platinum GMAT has a 250 Question practice test. Honestly this has been my best resource because it not only gives you the answer, but it breaks down how you should have came by the answer. Very useful
http://www.platinumgmat.com/practice_gmat_questions/

Test Prep has some testing modules that are ok. The site is a little busy for my tastes but the test works fine so I'm including here
http://www.testprepreview.com/gmat_practice.htm

Books I have found useful so far is Cracking the GMAT, 2011 by Princeton Review Kaplan GMAT 2011 Premier with CD-ROM by Kaplan and The Official Guide for GMAT Review 12th Edition

Of those the Princeton Review has been the most ground level book. Its easy to understand and cuts to the chase versus a lot of gobbly gook that occasionally causes me to cross my eyes when trying to wrap my brain around it. I burn more cigars this way heh.

What do you guys and gals got?
[Reply]
Average Joe 01:59 PM 03-10-2011
Awesome idea. I'm not taking the GMAT, but I wish this was around when I took the LSAT.

Best of luck to you!
[Reply]
hscmit 05:18 PM 03-10-2011
IN
great thread
should be taking the test in a little over a month
I originally took the GRE for entry into an MBA program started and got a promotion- fast forward 9 years and my scores are expired and hoping to start in an EMBA program in the fall.
[Reply]
Patrick B 09:48 PM 03-10-2011
Xavier MBA here just saying good luck to you all and I'm glad I'm done! Haha.
[Reply]
jmsremax 08:05 AM 03-11-2011
I am thinking about studying this summer. I am deciding if I should take a class or not.
[Reply]
BloodSpite 08:07 AM 03-11-2011
I'm still considering taking the class. I'm just finishing my Bachelors in Management (literally have 3 elective classes left and I'm done) so I have some time until I start Fall classes at MSU.

I know Kaplan and Princeton both offer classes, but I'm not sure if the classes are more worthwhile than just plain old fashion studying.
[Reply]
jmsremax 08:27 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by BloodSpite:
I'm still considering taking the class. I'm just finishing my Bachelors in Management (literally have 3 elective classes left and I'm done) so I have some time until I start Fall classes at MSU.

I know Kaplan and Princeton both offer classes, but I'm not sure if the classes are more worthwhile than just plain old fashion studying.
You plan to jump right into a MBA program?
[Reply]
Mugen910 08:41 AM 03-11-2011
What's the consensus on a MBA from a decent school versus spending $$ trying to get into an MBA program from a well known business school?

I'd like to go back for my MBA but it's too exp and I'm not in a company that will pay for it.
[Reply]
croatan 08:48 AM 03-11-2011
I just realized that I took mine over ten years ago. But I forsook test prep in favor of Irish coffee, so I don't have much to add :-) Is it still on an 800-point scale?

Originally Posted by Mugen910:
What's the consensus on a MBA from a decent school versus spending $$ trying to get into an MBA program from a well known business school?

I'd like to go back for my MBA but it's too exp and I'm not in a company that will pay for it.
Honestly, I think it just really depends. Are you looking to use the fancy degree to open new doors or do you just need a degree to break a ceiling or learn for your own business?
[Reply]
jmsremax 09:14 AM 03-11-2011

Bao, getting into a top business school (top 10 let's say) will be worth the extra $$ depending on where you want to be after you gradute. The networking, alumni, and recruiting benefits alone are worth it. If you want to get into a top MBA program expect to go full time though.

In Finance, having a degree from Whartons, Booth, or Harvard will open many more job opportunities than BC, Bentley, or even BU. Nevertheless if you plan on staying in MA or New England having an MBA from Bentley, BU, BC etc look almost as good.
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:15 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by croatan:

Honestly, I think it just really depends. Are you looking to use the fancy degree to open new doors or do you just need a degree to break a ceiling or learn for your own business?
I'd like to get the degree to hopefully open new doors. I'm def not at a ceiling...
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:17 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by jmsremax:
Bao, getting into a top business school (top 10 let's say) will be worth the extra $$. The networking, alumni, and recruiting benefits alone are worth it. If you want to get into a top MBA program expect to go full time though.
IDK about top 10...I'm not smart enough but I was thinking maybe one of the B schools around here.

Bentley
Babson
BC
BU
Brandeis
[Reply]
jmsremax 09:25 AM 03-11-2011
IDK about top 10...I'm not smart enough but I was thinking maybe one of the B schools around here.
Bentley - Good program and good value
Babson - Great for focusing on entrepreneuring
BC - Great for concentration in Finance/Investments
BU - Ranked higher than BC for overall MBA progra, but alumni network is better at BC
Brandeis - Great for focusing on International finance

I would love to go to either BC or BU myself. You planning on going full time or part time?
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:27 AM 03-11-2011
Bentley - Good program and good value
Babson - Great for focusing on entrepreneuring
BC - Great for concentration in Finance/Investments
BU - Ranked higher than BC for overall MBA progra, but alumni network is better at BC
Brandeis - Great for focusing on International finance

I would love to go to either BC or BU myself. You planning on going full time or part time?
part-time would be my focus...
[Reply]
BloodSpite 09:46 AM 03-11-2011
You plan to jump right into a MBA program?
Pretty much. I'm already so far behind on my education its not funny thanks to my service time. Trying to catch up.

Program I'm actually going in to is Project Management, however that's part of the Business school which requires the GMAt etc etc

Been doing PM work for a while now, mostly in telecom
[Reply]
BloodSpite 06:53 AM 03-24-2011
Got another resource that I found this morning

http://gmatforum.blogspot.com/

The name is a misnomer as it is not really a forum (like here) but they have a lot of good information and some articles on maintaining a even strain while working on the test and studying.

Not a bad resource I think
[Reply]
BloodSpite 06:56 AM 03-24-2011
One more for you

I found this one last week. If your like me and you take lunch at your desk it's not a bad way to study. Sort of a digital Flash card system with all GMAT based math

http://quizlet.com/2465049/gmat-math-rules-flash-cards/
[Reply]
hscmit 08:15 AM 03-24-2011
this is a good one

thanks
[Reply]
b.morales99 03:30 AM 07-22-2011
You guys might wanna check out the GRE course of Magoosh, comprehensive and the video tutorial are very efficient :-)
[Reply]
BloodSpite 09:41 PM 09-21-2011
Dude that Magoosh tip rocked. Ended up with a 690. onmy exam not shabby!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up