Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Netbook help
hotreds 05:29 PM 09-14-2009
I would like to get a netbook mainly to surf the net when traveling. I know we have some experts on here, please give me your advice. Will I have to pay for internet access, or do some come with it built-in?(Besides the regular internet you can pick up in motels.) High speed G or whatever it's called. Kinda newbish on these little guys, but they seem to be they way to go for travel, so small and light.

TIA!
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 05:37 PM 09-14-2009
Most if not all have built in wireless cards. Even though they come with built in cards you still need a contract with an internet provider to get on the internet.

If you were to take this netbook to a hotel that offers free internet, you can go surfing there.

Who's your internet provider right now?
The reason why I ask is because with my DSL account at home with AT&T I can get free internet at Starbucks stores that have AT&T wireless there. I think even if you have a cell phone with AT&T you can do that too.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 05:40 PM 09-14-2009
I am unaware of any netbook that comes with a wireless card installed from a cellphone carrier if that is what you are refering to. All have standard wireless cards as already stated, but you need access to a signal to use them.

Depending on your cellphone, carrier, and plan you can tether your phone and use it as a modem. I have an Acer Aspire One and love it. My cell phone provider is Sprint and for over a year I have a hack that allows me to use the phone as a modem with no issues and no extra fees. I watch hockey games etc at work this way.

One other cool thing you can do is run OSX86 on most of the netbook and it runs like a champ. Currently running 10.5.6 and it is a lot of fun to play with. All though I believe dell is the best one for this mod as you wont have to replace the wireless card like I am doing.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 07:07 PM 09-14-2009
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
I am unaware of any netbook that comes with a wireless card installed from a cellphone carrier if that is what you are refering to. All have standard wireless cards as already stated, but you need access to a signal to use them.
ATT has an Acer model with 3g built in that i've seen being sold at Radioshack.
[Reply]
hotreds 07:56 PM 09-14-2009
One other cool thing you can do is run OSX86 on most of the netbook and it runs like a champ. Currently running 10.5.6 and it is a lot of fun to play with. All though I believe dell is the best one for this mod as you wont have to replace the wireless card like I am doing.
No idea what you are talking about here. Please explain!
[Reply]
Ahbroody 08:14 PM 09-14-2009
OSX86 is a generic term used for a way to run the mac operating systems on intel based machines such as lepoard or snow lepoard. This became possible when mac began using intel based processors in their machines. The legalities of this are in question, but it is generally available as a torrent download. The OS will generally work and function just as a macintosh OS. Kind of like getting a macbook air for a hell of a lot less money. One thing many people do is buy a copy of the mac operating system you will be using. Generally lepoard can be found on craigslist for 40.00.

just google osx86 to get a basic understanding. I can help you to instal this if you decided to do it. Just shot me a PM. I dont want to discuss this to much further on the board do the grey area aspects of this.
[Reply]
Toasted Coastie 08:17 PM 09-14-2009
I have an Asus Eee netbook. 160g hard drive anda wireless card. I use it in my house to surf and check emails. I use it at hotspots only, and do not use a provider for access. $299 @Best Buy. Love it.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 06:44 AM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by Toasted Coastie:
I have an Asus Eee netbook. 160g hard drive anda wireless card. I use it in my house to surf and check emails. I use it at hotspots only, and do not use a provider for access. $299 @Best Buy. Love it.
Ron I got the same one from best buy except I bought mine from their website. They have the same model online that they do instore except for $50 more you get a 8-10hour battery. This is the Top Rated Netbook on Cnet right now.
[Reply]
AD720 07:32 AM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by hotreds:
I would like to get a netbook mainly to surf the net when traveling. I know we have some experts on here, please give me your advice. Will I have to pay for internet access, or do some come with it built-in?(Besides the regular internet you can pick up in motels.) High speed G or whatever it's called. Kinda newbish on these little guys, but they seem to be they way to go for travel, so small and light.

TIA!

You are looking for a model with what is called "WWAN". Verizon currently has a model and as someone said above, so does AT&T. The cost of the netbook it'self is subsidized much in the same way that cell phones are, sign a contract and get it cheap.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/h...ries//netbooks

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...l=calltoaction

Another option would be to simply buy what ever netbook you want and get a USB WWAN modem, all of the major Mobile companies offer them.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...rds+and+modems

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...sku=sku3020359

Expect to pay $40-$60 a month for the Data service either way.

Depending on how fancy your cell phone is you may be able to use it to "tether" to the netbook and allow the netbook to use the Cell phone's data connection to access the internet.

Fell free to PM me with any further questions.

OSX86 is a generic term used for a way to run the mac operating systems on intel based machines such as lepoard or snow lepoard. This became possible when mac began using intel based processors in their machines. The legalities of this are in question, but it is generally available as a torrent download. The OS will generally work and function just as a macintosh OS. Kind of like getting a macbook air for a hell of a lot less money. One thing many people do is buy a copy of the mac operating system you will be using. Generally lepoard can be found on craigslist for 40.00.

just google osx86 to get a basic understanding. I can help you to instal this if you decided to do it. Just shot me a PM. I dont want to discuss this to much further on the board do the grey area aspects of this.

:-) mydellmini9.com :-)
[Reply]
AD720 06:39 PM 09-27-2009
Dell Mini 9 available for $199.99 again!

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...471&lid=566643
[Reply]
hotreds 07:11 PM 09-27-2009
This is what I ended up getting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-EEEPC-900-W...%3D5%26ps%3D63
[Reply]
s15driftking 07:46 PM 09-27-2009
so wait... do you have to get a wireless plan to use it?

Or can i just rob the wireless network from a proximity to an establishment that has it?

For example... lets say im at my local B&M... which is next to a restraunt that has wifi.... can i just poach the internet from the restraunt. or do i have to have a monthly wireless plan (39.99) for the netbook?
[Reply]
dunng 07:48 PM 09-27-2009
You do not have to get a plan... In your example, if the signal is strong enough and if it is unsecured. So yeah, I would get it without a plan and then see if you really need it where you hang out. :-)
[Reply]
s15driftking 07:54 PM 09-27-2009
ok, thank you

NOW, ive read alot of reviews on best buy but i want your opinions... whats a good netbook for 200-250?
[Reply]
dunng 07:59 PM 09-27-2009
For that price, I would say a Dell Mini 9 (above)... :-)

EDIT - This one, it has Windows XP and a larger drive - http://www.recoupit.com/Laptops/Dell...-p7335189.html
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 10:39 PM 09-27-2009
If you can hold off for a month or two you might be able to pick one up with windows 7. Way better than xp or Vista.

I'm using it right now on my netbook and it starts up faster and runs faster than xp did.

:-)
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 03:40 PM 09-28-2009
Looks like he ended up getting one already.
[Reply]
hotreds 04:00 PM 09-28-2009
Yes, I feel I got a good deal, and used Bing Cash Back, so ended up costing me $183 with free shipping. Doubt a new Windows 7 unit would be available for that price- again, this is for when I travel to surf the net and check my emails, will not replace my CPU at home- altho that might be replaced with a Windows 7 unit at some time!
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 05:12 PM 09-28-2009
Good price.:-)
[Reply]
Footbag 05:24 PM 09-28-2009
That looks like a nice netbook. Not a bad price at all and with the SSD, it should boot very fast!

As far as contracts, they are all just priced too high. $50-60/mo as has been stated above. These days, there are enough hot spots that you can find one when in need.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up