Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Boveda??
Donny007 12:42 PM 06-14-2010
How are these to use?? All I have read on them is the cost. I don't mind paying for them if they are that easy to use. I purchaed a Xikar humidor last week and used there crystal system it came with but only used water (as instructed by the shop) not there solution. So the humidity went to 89%. Took out the crystals and left humi open and its back down to about 70%. Going to get Boveda packs tonight I think. Thanks
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:48 PM 06-14-2010
If you are looking for something to soak up the excess moisture, get beads and forget about any other humidification devices.

Boveda products = waste of money. IMO.
[Reply]
montecristo#2 12:50 PM 06-14-2010
Besides the cost, the packets are the easiest thing to use. All you do is put them in your humidor. When they start to dry out (you will know), you replace them.

They do take up some space, but I have read you can place them directly on top of cigars (I usually find some place to put them so they are not).

I would probably buy the 65% packets, I have had better luck with those than the 69% (which will go up to 70/71%).

I also do not follow the 1 packet per 50 cigars + 1 packet. I typically will put 1-2 packets in max. I have not had any issues. They usually last longer than 3 months as well.

Before I got a cabinet, I stored some cigars in medium-sized tupperware type containers that sealed really well. For these, I put in 3 packets and after 2 years, they were still going strong. These were for long term storage, so I only opened them every couple of months.

In terms of cost, beads are definitely cheaper. But you do have to add water every couple of months depending on the environment.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 12:51 PM 06-14-2010
Yes, I agree with radioman. Beads are the way to go, but the boveda bags are not bad either for a small humidor. They work great, I know many people that use them and love them.
[Reply]
Donny007 12:55 PM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
If you are looking for something to soak up the excess moisture, get beads and forget about any other humidification devices.

Boveda products = waste of money. IMO.
Are beads a two way system? Just add water and they will release and absorb moisture to keep a steady enviroment?? Where can i get beads? Any brand?
[Reply]
montecristo#2 01:00 PM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by Donny007:
Are beads a two way system? Just add water and they will release and absorb moisture to keep a steady enviroment?? Where can i get beads? Any brand?
Yes, beads are a two way system assuming you do not saturate them with water.

I have gotten all of my beads from Dave at Heartfelt Industries.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 01:02 PM 06-14-2010
Everything you want to know about beads here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=618

Dave is a good source as just mentioned and also here: http://www.getthepuck.com/
[Reply]
T.G 01:08 PM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by montecristo#2:
Besides the cost, the packets are the easiest thing to use. All you do is put them in your humidor. When they start to dry out (you will know), you replace them.
The packets are two-way. When they start to dry out, you can put them in a tupperware with a small bowl of distilled water and after a week or so, they'll be reydrated (they'll puff back out).

Best to do this when they start to get thin, and before they hit that "saltine cracker" consistancy stage. When they get to that point, they might not absorb water any longer or they might take forever to do so.
[Reply]
Subvet642 01:19 PM 06-14-2010
How are these to use?? All I have read on them is the cost. I don't mind paying for them if they are that easy to use. I purchaed a Xikar humidor last week and used there crystal system it came with but only used water (as instructed by the shop) not there solution. So the humidity went to 89%. Took out the crystals and left humi open and its back down to about 70%. Going to get Boveda packs tonight I think. Thanks
The same thing happened to me with a Xikar humi-brick, so I used a Boveda pack I had laying around and ordered some 65% RH beads from Heartfelt; they should be here today.
[Reply]
Taylor61 07:10 PM 06-14-2010
I use a Boveda pack in my xikar travel humidor and it works great. Would recommend it for that type of application. No maintenance.
[Reply]
bobarian 07:14 PM 06-14-2010
For short term storage, Boveda packs are great. For longer term Heartfelt beads are great, been using them for almost 3 years without issue. :-)
[Reply]
ckay 08:49 PM 06-14-2010
I use Boveda packs for tupperdors. I run out of space in my humidors from time to time. I refuse to buy another as I will only end up having to do so again so I keep my buying under control by resorting to tupperdors for 3-6m storage. I like Bovedas for this application only. In a humidor, I would use beads.

Also, don't rush the seasoning process. Crystals work well also once a humidor can stabilize itself.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:13 PM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Everything you want to know about beads here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=618

Dave is a good source as just mentioned and also here: http://www.getthepuck.com/
Those links tell you all you need to know about Heartfelt beads (which are a good product).

If you are interested in finding out more about Scott Shilala's beads you can check out this link: www.shilalasbeads.com.
[Reply]
Up