Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Arturo Fuente Anejo #50
Sancho Fuente 06:20 PM 11-14-2010
So I was looking through my Vinotemp-a-wine-ador trying to figure out what to smoke tonight when way in the back corner I see a few Anejos I have had sitting since '08.

Size - 5.1" x 50
Wrapper - Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
Binder - Dominican
Filler - Dominican (not alot of info out there on the specifics)
Location - Balcony outside my apartment, high 50's, slight breeze
Drink - Coffee, black
Price - I paid around $14.00 for this stick, MSRP is around $10 I believe

Appearance and Construction - This is an absolutely beautiful stick sporting a cedar sleeve with a red ribbon fixed at the foot. The wrapper is almost jet black, with only a few veins running through it that take nothing away from the appearance. The stick was very firm, but still very light in my hands. There is a small blemish about 1/3 of the way down the cigar, but nothing major. The cap came off smooth with my Xikar Xi.
Overall Appearance and Construction - 18/20

First 1/3 of Cigar - The prelight draw was a little bit too tight for my liking. The stick had a very strong cedar scent and tasted almost sweet before the light. The initial flavors after the light were strong pepper that mellowed very quickly. A few puffs in and the draw opened up perfectly bringing a ton of flavor right off the bat. A woody flavor and leather were the most forward, with just a touch of spice. The smoke had an extremely sweet note when blown through the nose, almost like caramel or molasses. Every puff had a LONG finish that tasted like leather and nuts. The burn started a little uneven for the first inch or so until I flicked the ash off and it corrected itself.
Overall Score for First 1/3 - 18/20

Second 1/3 of Cigar - The first word I have written on my index card is SMOOTH. The flavors were perfectly balanced. The sweetness gave way to a very rich cream when blown through the nose that balanced the spice perfectly. The nutty finish began to work its way into every puff, along with hints of coffee. There was also a cedar taste, but not your typical cedar. I would describe it as 'sharp' I guess. This was the first time I have really experienced that in a cigar but it was quite enjoyable through the nose with the cream. The ash remained strong until the 1 inch mark. I'm sure it could have lasted longer but I didnt want to catch it in my lap with the breeze. Towards the end, the spice began to ramp up but never got overpowering.
Overall Score for Second 1/3 - 19/20

Last 1/3 of Cigar - By this point, this stick was billowing clouds of smoke from the tip and filled your mouth with each puff. The draw was absolutely perfect, and you could have used the burn line to test a level. The cedar taste was at the front now, along with an excellent earthy taste that remained in the finish. Again, the pepper was noticable when the smoke was blown through my nose, but not uncomfortable or overpowering at all. The finish of every puff was incredible with leather and nuts still present. The creamyness had begun to fade, and the sweetness began to reappear. I saved the ash on the last third and it held until I layed this cigar down.
Overall Score for Last 1/3 - 18/20

Overall Experience - This cigar spent 2 years in my humidor and I think it changed it from a good stick to a great stick. The flavors were perfectly balanced and the finish was amazing. I could see the pepper overpowering the other flavors when it is young. My favorite flavors appeared in the second 1/3, but I still felt more than satisfied by the end of it all. I don't usually smoke cigars with this price tag, but with a great finish to the F1 season, the Caps game on TV, and the perfect night outside, I figured why not. All in all this was a very good cigar. I would gladly pay for a cigar like this to really savor every now and then.
Overall Experience - 19/20

Overall Score - 92/100
[Reply]
joeobx 07:23 PM 11-14-2010
nice review....LOVE these
[Reply]
gijoey959 07:44 PM 11-14-2010
Great review :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:21 PM 11-14-2010
Very nice review:-)
[Reply]
jmsremax 07:37 AM 11-15-2010
I wish didn't read this.....I think I may have to smoke one of mine ASAP :-)
[Reply]
hscmit 07:41 AM 11-15-2010
great stick and a great review
[Reply]
hammondc 10:55 AM 11-15-2010
Great cigar. One of my favorites. I don't typically get Opus, but grab these whenever I see them.
[Reply]
DaBear 11:58 AM 11-15-2010
Great review. This just makes me want to smoke the 46 that I have sittin in the humi. Tryin to hold out till the new ones come out and I can do a tasting of the different years
[Reply]
ucla695 12:31 PM 11-15-2010
Great descriptive review! :-)
[Reply]
Krish the Fish 12:40 PM 11-15-2010
I have a box of 49s from last season sitting in my box at my B&M... I might have to bring those back home and let them sit for another year or two before I smoke any more of them... This 2 year review makes me :-) for what can come from my stash.

[Reply]
zappaFREAK 01:24 PM 11-15-2010
Aresome review!! I love hearing more than "great cigar". Thanks for taking the time and reviewing this.
[Reply]
Sancho Fuente 04:30 PM 11-15-2010
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish:
I have a box of 49s from last season sitting in my box at my B&M... I might have to bring those back home and let them sit for another year or two before I smoke any more of them... This 2 year review makes me :-) for what can come from my stash.

This is only the second one I have smoked, the first was right around the time I bought them. I remember not being impressed and being a little bit angry that I just spent that much on a so-so cigar. Those 2 years made a world of difference.
[Reply]
Martel 06:13 PM 11-15-2010
Great review. I agree, these take a little time to come around, but when they do they are great.

Cheers,
G
[Reply]
Ogre 06:16 PM 11-15-2010
Great review, one of my favorites!!!
[Reply]
jeepthing 06:29 PM 11-15-2010
A favorite Thanks for reviewing
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:22 PM 11-15-2010
Great review...can't go wrong with an Anejo!! :-)
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 07:16 PM 11-16-2010
The #50 might have been the best from last years release , tons of dark cocoa flavor . Nice review and I also agree that they get better with a few years on them . I'm already getting the itch for this years edition . :-)
[Reply]
KillerCelt 12:45 PM 11-17-2010
Awesome review. It makes me want to call around and see if anyone in the area has a few from last year left. :-)
[Reply]
Ratters 07:06 PM 11-17-2010
Nice review :-)

I don't know, I've had a couple and I find them to be tortuously boring smokes. I guess I'm in the minority.
[Reply]
nick2021 11:50 AM 11-19-2010
This is one of my favorite sticks, looking to pick some up during X-mas!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up