Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Tatuaje Black Label Tubo
sikk50 12:37 AM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by akumushi:
For those of you who are over Tatuaje, can I ask why? Have your tastes changed, has the quality control gone down, or do you have other reasons? I've never been a huge fanboy for Tatuaje, but I've also had nothing but good experiences with their product and count them among the few NCs I still smoke on occasion now that CCs are 90% of my intake. I'm just curious to see why people are losing interest in them after so much hype on the boards for the last year or so.
Darrell doesn't like anything....seriously, doesn't even like cigars, just comes here to scare people. :-)
[Reply]
montecristo#2 09:10 AM 03-31-2010
For those of you who are over Tatuaje, can I ask why? Have your tastes changed, has the quality control gone down, or do you have other reasons? I've never been a huge fanboy for Tatuaje, but I've also had nothing but good experiences with their product and count them among the few NCs I still smoke on occasion now that CCs are 90% of my intake. I'm just curious to see why people are losing interest in them after so much hype on the boards for the last year or so.
I think a lot of people have been turned off by some of Pete's limited releases. I know a lot of people including several shops that were not happy with the monster series this year in terms of distribution, cost, the boxes smelling like crap. . .

Also, for the CC smoker, Tatuajes are on the upper end of the price scale for regular release items. There are a lot of really good CCs that are cheaper.

So taken together, I can see why some people have been turned off by them. For me, they are my favorite NC cigars and I will continue to buy them because I like to smoke them. I try not to obsess over the limited stuff as I have had pretty good luck obtaining most of the releases.

Smoke what you like. :-) :-)
[Reply]
akumushi 10:07 AM 03-31-2010
I suspected it was the Drac fiasco, but I just don't understand why people act like Pete Johnson killed their puppy because that release fell through. I think it's funny just how emotional some people got about that release and the frenzy it stirred up when it hit some snags. It was like watching grown men devolve into bunch of 13 year old Hanna Montana fans. The bitterness I see in posts by people who used to swear by Tatuaje and grew jaded because a couple of special releases didn't live up to the hype they'd created for themselves makes me think that maybe they only ever liked the IDEA of Tatuaje cigars in the first place. If they had really liked the product, it wouldn't have mattered that the Drac fell flat. From what I've heard, the Boris made up for it. God knows how many tent poles we Habanophiles have to throw out into the lake:-) LE's and RE's in that world are notoriously inconsistant. I've even heard that the Cohiba Gran Reserva box smelled like varnish. Maybe Pete was just trying to emulate Habanos in ALL aspects of business:-):-)
[Reply]
fuente~fuente 10:56 AM 03-31-2010
I really like alot of Pete's stuff, but the Black Tubo pissed in my Post Toasties for sure. I smoked a few right after they were released & thought that they had alot of promise, & would probably smoke better after they settle down & acclimate.... Well, I smoked one not quite a week ago that's been stored in my humi that's in the low 60 rh range, & even let it drybox about a day before I smoked it. I had to relight the frickin' thing like 73 times times... I haven't been that pissed about a cigar in quite some time.:-)

But to be fair... The rest of Pete's stuff has made me quite happy for the most part.:-)
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 03:26 PM 03-31-2010
Haven't had one, even though I've had ample opportunity to purchase one.

I think two years ago I would have gone APE POOP over the opportunity to buy a really strong nic puro.

It's amazing what expanding my taste horizons did to my palate, and I have only the PSHC to blame! :-)

DISCLAIMER: No matter what anyone says... Always smoke what you like.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:30 PM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by tedrodgerscpa:
Haven't had one, even though I've had ample opportunity to purchase one.
That's good to know, Teddy Ballgame! :-)
[Reply]
Uflbassin 01:00 AM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by tedrodgerscpa:

DISCLAIMER: No matter what anyone says... Always smoke what you like.
:-)
[Reply]
tomc3084 01:08 AM 04-01-2010
wonder what aged piss will taste like..hmmmmm, only time will tell?
[Reply]
tomc3084 01:15 AM 04-01-2010
I suspected it was the Drac fiasco, but I just don't understand why people act like Pete Johnson killed their puppy because that release fell through. I think it's funny just how emotional some people got about that release and the frenzy it stirred up when it hit some snags. It was like watching grown men devolve into bunch of 13 year old Hanna Montana fans. The bitterness I see in posts by people who used to swear by Tatuaje and grew jaded because a couple of special releases didn't live up to the hype they'd created for themselves makes me think that maybe they only ever liked the IDEA of Tatuaje cigars in the first place. If they had really liked the product, it wouldn't have mattered that the Drac fell flat. From what I've heard, the Boris made up for it. God knows how many tent poles we Habanophiles have to throw out into the lake:-) LE's and RE's in that world are notoriously inconsistant. I've even heard that the Cohiba Gran Reserva box smelled like varnish. Maybe Pete was just trying to emulate Habanos in ALL aspects of business:-):-)
I think people were pissed because a high end product, especially a "limited" high end product you spend your hard earned money on should not dissapoint like this has. That said, I have heard good things about this stick, but nowhere as many bad things...Doesnt matter to me I dont buy alot of his stuff...Ps-are you saying he made the boxes smell like paint on purpose??? And when it comes to cc, well, I just it's kind of expected because, well, because that's the way it sometimes is...I am not trying to pick a bone with anyone, whatsoever, just adding my 2 cents
[Reply]
gnukfu 04:40 AM 04-01-2010
Thanks for the review! :-)
[Reply]
bookman 06:38 AM 04-01-2010
How could anyone NOT like these sticks?? These are THE sticks that the MAN himself, Pete Johnson smokes!! The Man Himself, peo-ple!!
[Reply]
e-man67 06:53 AM 04-01-2010
I like the unique flavor that only the black gives...but these tubos have almost a paint thinner funkiness going on...I wonder if it has anything to do with the tubes? I have only smoked 2.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 06:54 AM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by tomc3084:
wonder what aged piss will taste like.
A Cremosa. Seriously.
[Reply]
sikk50 11:23 AM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
A Cremosa. Seriously.
I had to smoke a Cremosa at a BABOTL herf, and I will vouche for this statement!
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:26 PM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by bookman:
How could anyone NOT like these sticks?? These are THE sticks that the MAN himself, Pete Johnson smokes!! The Man Himself, peo-ple!!
[Reply]
bookman 04:00 PM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
I know, Sox!! I'm LMFAO at people who don't like these sticks, too!!!:-):-)
[Reply]
tomc3084 07:53 PM 04-01-2010
cremosa?
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:41 PM 04-01-2010
Just smoked one tonight and it was great! :-) Had some burn problems, but the flavor was tasty as hell.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 10:38 PM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Just smoked one tonight and it was great! :-) Had some burn problems, but the flavor was tasty as hell.
Get ready to smoke another one Mac...
[Reply]
akumushi 12:02 AM 06-27-2010
I smoked my only single tonight. It certainly wasn't the best Tatuaje product I've ever had and I wouldn't shell out the coin for more, but I enjoyed it enough to say it didn't suck. It was full bodied with some nice woody flavors and a some good spice in the nose, and was very smooth until the last third, when the flavors started getting a little too pungent. I purged and recut and that didn't help, so I just stubbed it out with a good two inches to go. Honestly, I think the regular brown labels are far better than these.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up