Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>End table humidor question
aroffe 12:04 PM 04-23-2017
Good day to all,
I am new to this website and would really appreciate guidance on the below item before I purchase.

The Montegue End Table Cigar Humidor HUM-MONTCAB

I would like your opinion on the quality of this humidor. I am not familiar with the company or their sureseal technology the discuss in the website.

The size is perfect and price is around $500.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
[Reply]
Sadden 04:02 PM 04-23-2017
Looks nice. But you will have to add humidification and probably do some sealing (gasket around the door and drawer) too make it a real performer.
[Reply]
Brlesq 04:57 PM 04-23-2017
I have the Montegue. It is a beautiful piece of furniture. The doors and drawer seal just fine if you lock them. However, there is an outlet that you install in a hole on the back, and I discovered that you need to seal that. (I have a friend that bought this one as well, same issue.) Install the outlet (4 screws) and then in a dark room, put a flashlight behind it and look inside to see where the gaps are at the outlet.

After you fix that, this one is a champ. I have about 4 lbs of KL in it and do not use an active humidification device. Holds about 1,100 cigars. The only drawback is getting on your hands and knees every time you want to get something in the back of it. (It's deep.) But I keep my long-term cigars being aged in the back, so its not an issue for me.
[Reply]
hudd 09:58 PM 04-23-2017
Father in law has an old mini fridge in the garage I've been trying to get to make a humidor out of. About 2 foot by 2 foot and looks like a wooden chest. He's one of those type of guys that won't let go of anything. He doesn't use it, just sitting there for several years. Would make a cool humi.
[Reply]
Subvet642 07:52 AM 04-24-2017
Originally Posted by hudd:
Father in law has an old mini fridge in the garage I've been trying to get to make a humidor out of. About 2 foot by 2 foot and looks like a wooden chest. He's one of those type of guys that won't let go of anything. He doesn't use it, just sitting there for several years. Would make a cool humi.
You could offer to buy it...:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:37 AM 04-24-2017
I had a Montegue for my first few years of "collecting", and was very hapy with its performance. I would look at Cheaphumidors dot com at the Lauderdale if I was looking for another of this size. About 1/2 the price and also good quality when I had one of those.
[Reply]
aroffe 05:02 PM 04-24-2017
I just found out that the humidor I'm looking to purchase is made with medium density fiberboard (MDF). The inside lined with cedar and outside lined with wood veneer.

Please let me know your thoughts on MDF used to make humidors. It's made in China.

Thanks!
[Reply]
CigarNut 05:23 PM 04-24-2017
A lot of affordable humidors are made from MDF. It's not as good as solid wood, but as long as you take care of it, it will do OK.

If you can afford a solid-wood humidor, then I would go that route.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 07:17 PM 04-24-2017
Originally Posted by aroffe:
I just found out that the humidor I'm looking to purchase is made with medium density fiberboard (MDF). The inside lined with cedar and outside lined with wood veneer.

Please let me know your thoughts on MDF used to make humidors. It's made in China.

Thanks!
You're describing how all that IKEA and similar furniture is made. More important is if the doors and joints are reasonably airtight and don't warp. You've got experience about that above
[Reply]
goatfarmer 01:45 PM 04-27-2017
After vinotemp, desk top humidors, tupperware and beads, decided to take the plunge and purchased a Humidor from Vigilant over 35 years ago, surprising company still in business. Hassle free, adjust desired humidity, when the light comes on add distilled water, and occasionally change filter and water.

IMO, if decide on 'end table' type humidor I would not include the glass.
[Reply]
hudd 09:39 PM 04-27-2017
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
You could offer to buy it...:-)
Tried that. He's got more money than he knows what to do with.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 05:10 AM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by hudd:

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...or-conversion/
[Reply]
longknocker 06:21 AM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...or-conversion/
:-) Sweet, Ferdie!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 07:09 AM 04-28-2017
Keith (Big Ash) did something too, topic is on the board here somewhere, turned it onto a hell of a Partagas SD4 humidor.
[Reply]
Up