Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>AF Reserva Short Story
nutcracker 07:22 AM 08-20-2014
For some reason these are sometime hard to come by, but I've sampled at least 4 different boxes, and I must say they are wonderfully consistent.

The Arturo Fuente Reserva Short Story maduro is a small perfecto - about 40 mins of smoking. It is perfectly made, there are no blemishes and a dark, toothy wrapper.

The draw is excellent, and can be modified by cutting the opening progressively bigger with ease. As the smoke progresses, you have to "no more than kiss it" to get plumes of deep blue smoke. They rarely need a touch up to burn dead straight and true. It is by no means "sloppy" - sometimes an easy draw is just tons of air - this is tons of smoke.

There is no astringency, no off notes and the stick is (to my mind) of moderate strength. (The bigger vitola - "Signature" will give a bit of a nicotine kick). The flavours are sweet maple-toffee and coffee, even mocha. There is a certain rainy day earthiness to this that will put you in a trance. There is hardly any pepper or spice, making for a pleasurable, luxurious smoke.

These are super little cigars, and you need a good handful in your humidor.

[Reply]
CdnStogie 08:17 AM 08-20-2014
never tried the maduro version but I am going to take a look into these.

Picked up a few of the hemmingway short story and they are terrific as well.
[Reply]
mk05 08:34 AM 08-20-2014
You should try some '98 Cuaba Divinos. Tastes like nectarine jam.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:38 AM 08-20-2014
All the Hemingway cigars are great but the Short Story's are the best! The Maduro's are a real treat -- one of my favorites!

Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
STEVE S 02:34 PM 08-20-2014
Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
CigarEnvy 03:36 PM 08-20-2014
Being a Fuente and Maduro fanatic these cigars sure fill a void for small tasty cigars. Depending on sources they are pretty easy to find but it's all about the pricing. Thx for your feedback on a really good cigar.
[Reply]
hammondc 04:33 PM 08-20-2014
I ALWAYS have these on hand and have never been without them since I started smoking cigars back in 2002 or so.
[Reply]
equetefue 05:11 PM 08-20-2014
Neil, I share you sentiment on this cigar. They sure don't disappoint.
[Reply]
BigAsh 12:47 PM 08-21-2014
An oldie, but a goodie!....smoked alot of these over the years....always a treat...:-)
[Reply]
Xolotal Mungin 01:16 PM 08-21-2014
Love these.
[Reply]
Ogre 06:55 PM 08-21-2014
Always a treat when I hit Tampa Sweethearts.
[Reply]
hammondc 07:35 PM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Ogre:
Always a treat when I hit Tampa Sweethearts.
Yep!! I tried to pickup some of the SS Maduro when I was there late last year, but they had not come in yet. AFjr himself had a short story burning.
[Reply]
Up